Bluetooth vs. SYNC3 Capabilities?

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
If you look at my post, I say hardware and software. The bronco sport will get sync 4 eventually just like all other ford’s. Since you can’t upgrade sync 3 to sync 4, if you buy a sport now, you will be missing out on those features. You might not find those features to be worth it, but im sure the target audience of the sport would want the tow mode or off-road trail maps that sync 4 provides (like the bronco has).

Ford might have wanted to save the sync 4 debut for the vehicles that actually require it, ie those with larger screens like the mach e, f150, and bronco, and then roll it out to everyone else once production has ramped up.
so to summarize..
-your theory for sync 3 instead of sync 4 is that they just don’t want to add it/want it to premiere on a bigger screen
-my theory for sync 3 instead/ of sync 4 is that it’s cheaper

both plausible theories but I believe mine is slightly more plausible.

What’s your theory on the smaller size screen in the bronco sport? Is it cost or something else? Will the bigger screen be offered next year after it debuts on the 2/4dr?

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124
I’m forced to research that. It’s fun though, I enjoy it
if nothing else, this has been an interesting glimpse into the world of the auto business. That has been fun. When the sport finally arrives, there will be the start of more learning, about off-roading. It's a twofer.

I appreciate folks' patience as we grow!

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
so to summarize..
-your theory for sync 3 instead of sync 4 is that they just don’t want to add it/want it to premiere on a bigger screen
-my theory for sync 3 instead/ of sync 4 is that it’s cheaper

both plausible theories but I believe mine is slightly more plausible.

What’s your theory on the smaller size screen in the bronco sport? Is it cost or something else? Will the bigger screen be offered next year after it debuts on the 2/4dr?
My theory was that sync 4 hardware/software wasn’t ready yet (possibly bugs or supply issues) or that they had a bunch of sync 3 units they needed to get rid of. The bronco, f150 and Mach e all have screen sizes that sync 3 doesn’t support, so they are prioritized for the sync 4 units.

your theory included price (which I also agree with. Ford can be pretty cheap sometimes), but also mentioned that the target audience would be fine with sync 3 along with it not being a premium vehicle. I interpreted (maybe incorrectly) that as meaning you thought the target customer didn’t want the features of sync 4. I think there are features of sync 4 directly targeted towards that audience (see the trail maps and sharing functionality in the bronco).

as for the larger screen, I think that’s just ford being cheap again. Larger screens (meaning larger than the standard 8” screen, not necessarily the 12” in bronco or 15” in mach e) have trickled down to the smaller SUVs of several brands already. The dash design of the sport doesn’t seem to allow for a wider screen. They could go with a taller screen and remove the storage area that resides in that area now, but I don’t see that happening. I don’t think you will see larger screens in the sport until its refresh in 3-4 years.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
My theory was that sync 4 hardware/software wasn’t ready yet (possibly bugs or supply issues) or that they had a bunch of sync 3 units they needed to get rid of. The bronco, f150 and Mach e all have screen sizes that sync 3 doesn’t support, so they are prioritized for the sync 4 units.

your theory included price (which I also agree with. Ford can be pretty cheap sometimes), but also mentioned that the target audience would be fine with sync 3 along with it not being a premium vehicle. I interpreted (maybe incorrectly) that as meaning you thought the target customer didn’t want the features of sync 4. I think there are features of sync 4 directly targeted towards that audience (see the trail maps and sharing functionality in the bronco).

as for the larger screen, I think that’s just ford being cheap again. Larger screens (meaning larger than the standard 8” screen, not necessarily the 12” in bronco or 15” in mach e) have trickled down to the smaller SUVs of several brands already. The dash design of the sport doesn’t seem to allow for a wider screen. They could go with a taller screen and remove the storage area that resides in that area now, but I don’t see that happening. I don’t think you will see larger screens in the sport until its refresh in 3-4 years.
I some what think you may be right about the reason for 3 instead of 4. Mach E getting priority if it requires a larger screen (why can’t the operating system run on a smaller screen?)

The Mach e and bronco sport have the same date for job 1 so it’s not because sync 4 is not ready.

Yes I agree with you that the sport customer would like the features that come with sync 4 (trail maps, and everything else) but I don’t believe most sport customers have it as high on the list (if we are getting a great sync 3) as Mach e customers- like having the lastest infotainment system and large screen.

Maybe I’m wrong and I only speak for myself.. I am honestly fine with sync 3 and I like the size of the screen. I actually dislike how big the Mach e screen is. Sync 4 with a slightly larger screen would be great but I wouldn’t even want to wait half a year more just to have it. I took all late availability items off to get it quicker.

OP

Slappy427

Outer Banks
First Name
Dom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No car
I some what think you may be right about the reason for 3 instead of 4. Mach E getting priority if it requires a larger screen (why can’t the operating system run on a smaller screen?)

The Mach e and bronco sport have the same date for job 1 so it’s not because sync 4 is not ready.

Yes I agree with you that the sport customer would like the features that come with sync 4 (trail maps, and everything else) but I don’t believe most sport customers have it as high on the list (if we are getting a great sync 3) as Mach e customers- like having the lastest infotainment system and large screen.

Maybe I’m wrong and I only speak for myself.. I am honestly fine with sync 3 and I like the size of the screen. I actually dislike how big the Mach e screen is. Sync 4 with a slightly larger screen would be great but I wouldn’t even want to wait half a year more just to have it. I took all late availability items off to get it quicker.
So, I’ve been trying to do my research as well...I feel like the Sport is the vehicle I want for next purchase...not too big but still rugged...good tech, seems like plenty of head room (one of my biggest issues as I’m 6ft tall and always seeem to hit my head on the ceiling of cars) but I’m not seeing much I don’t like. Do you feel like this is going to be a good vehicle to purchase?

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
So, I’ve been trying to do my research as well...I feel like the Sport is the vehicle I want for next purchase...not too big but still rugged...good tech, seems like plenty of head room (one of my biggest issues as I’m 6ft tall and always seeem to hit my head on the ceiling of cars) but I’m not seeing much I don’t like. Do you feel like this is going to be a good vehicle to purchase?
I personally feel this is a great vehicle to purchase. I have never seen a vehicle that I have liked so much bumper to bumper. Now ask someone else and they may have a handful of problems with this vehicle. I can honestly say I have none and feel like I have found a vehicle that completely matches my tastes: rugged. not bigger than my actual need. Modern but not round. The style is spot on. The utility is spot on. What first pulled me in was the look and style. What made me excited and confident this was the right decision for me was seeing the utility is possesses and how functional it was at such a competitive price.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I read on https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/2021-ford-ranger-to-offer-new-stx-special-edition-package/ that the 2021 Ranger is also using Sync 3. Is suppose that makes sense. At least we are not alone 😀
Makes sense to me as well. This is from an article comparing sync3/4. I highlighted the part that makes me totally fine with getting sync 3. So while we aren’t getting sync 4, we also are not getting base Sync. From a cost standpoint we are getting the smart/right (imo) option containing the best value.

057F15FA-742A-4F2A-95E2-E6416C7D9C8E.jpeg
46882506-AA98-4DDC-A5CD-312886A3C7E2.jpeg
B4C427A7-4BF9-4FB8-8E22-63B1343B7EFC.jpeg

Last edited:

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I read on https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/2021-ford-ranger-to-offer-new-stx-special-edition-package/ that the 2021 Ranger is also using Sync 3. Is suppose that makes sense. At least we are not alone 😀
The ranger is getting redesigned in MY2023 (for the US at least. Rest of the world will get the redesign next year I believe), so it makes sense it will carry on with sync 3. Usually these upgrades roll out with refreshes or redesigns. Im pretty excited for the next ranger. Enough so that I’m probably going to wait until it’s released to decide between bronco, sport, and ranger.

Excape

Badlands
First Name
Reg
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado, CX-5
For aesthetics, I don't think an arcade-game sized screen would look good, especially in what is supposed to be a rugged vehicle. I am thankful for a modest screen size, I still cannot figure out the appeal for large screens.
Before someone accuses me of being tech-challenged, understand that I have worked in control systems development with giant HMI video walls. One of the philosophies in HMI development is keeping the information clean and to a minimum. I just don't see the need for giant screens in a motor-vehicle.

Njia

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac XT5, Ford Escape
The reasoning is probably the same reasoning as the manual lift gate. This is not a premium vehicle with a premium price tag.
I would be more inclined to agree with you on this point if it wasn't for the fact that my wife's 2020 Escape has a powered lift gate. I know that cost is an issue, but considering the purchasing volumes involved, and the fact that the Bronco Sport and Escape are on the same platform, including it on the FE, Outer Banks, and Badlands trims would not have have broken the bank.

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
For aesthetics, I don't think an arcade-game sized screen would look good, especially in what is supposed to be a rugged vehicle. I am thankful for a modest screen size, I still cannot figure out the appeal for large screens.
Before someone accuses me of being tech-challenged, understand that I have worked in control systems development with giant HMI video walls. One of the philosophies in HMI development is keeping the information clean and to a minimum. I just don't see the need for giant screens in a motor-vehicle.
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with liking a smaller screen. 8” screens have treated me right for years, but for me there are two main advantages of larger screens:

1) larger buttons on a touch screen are easier to find and touch which means less time looking at the screen and more time looking at the road.
2) when using navigation, I like seeing more of the map so I know what’s coming up.

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with liking a smaller screen. 8” screens have treated me right for years, but for me there are two main advantages of larger screens:

1) larger buttons on a touch screen are easier to find and touch which means less time looking at the screen and more time looking at the road.
2) when using navigation, I like seeing more of the map so I know what’s coming up.
The vertically longer screen that will come with Sync 4 will make a big difference for this too.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I would be more inclined to agree with you on this point if it wasn't for the fact that my wife's 2020 Escape has a powered lift gate. I know that cost is an issue, but considering the purchasing volumes involved, and the fact that the Bronco Sport and Escape are on the same platform, including it on the FE, Outer Banks, and Badlands trims would not have have broken the bank.
Apple cinnamon cheerios contain cinnamon. Frosted cheerios built on the same O platform do not contain cinnamon for specific reasons, not because it would break the bank, but because the customer doesn’t want it.

Now for a sync4 analogy.. I personally love apple cinnamon cheerios. If they came out with a new cheerios that soaked up the milk 3x faster and they were twice as big for a small premium, I wouldn’t buy it. Give me my apple cinnamon cheerios that are already great which I am addicted to.