Bluetooth vs. SYNC3 Capabilities?

Slappy427

Outer Banks
First Name
Dom
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No car
I’ve read differing information regarding if your phone needs to be -lugged in to use the SYNC3 system. It seems to me that Bluetooth would be used, as that has been a technological expectation for. Quite sometime. It seems unlikely that a vehicle coming out in 2020, wouldn’t be able to handle Applecar play with Bluetooth but SYNC4 will, according to reports. I’m confused about if phones need to be plugged in to use certain phone functions. Anyone know?

Advertisement

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
I’ve read differing information regarding if your phone needs to be plugged in to use the SYNC3 system. It seems to me that Bluetooth would be used, as that has been a technological expectation for. Quite sometime. It seems unlikely that a vehicle coming out in 2020, wouldn’t be able to handle Apple Car play with Bluetooth but SYNC4 will, according to reports. I’m confused about if phones need to be plugged in to use certain phone functions. Anyone know?
51456A88-1448-4943-A0D1-33DC2C900542.jpeg

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza
Sync4 is the first infotainment version from Ford that supports apple CarPlay via Bluetooth. On sync3 you can still pair it via Bluetooth and use audio that way but to use CarPlay you will need to connect it via wire.

TXArchitect

First Edition
First Name
Kent
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Bummer that BS, as late as we are getting them still cannot get Sync 4. "Sad Face"

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I don’t use Apple car play. The sync 3 system I have does everything I need it to over Bluetooth, however if you want to use Apple car play, you will need to plug your phone in. Sync 4 has the wireless Apple car play.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
The reasoning is probably the same reasoning as the manual lift gate. This is not a premium vehicle with a premium price tag. There are trade offs to keep the price at a certain point by focusing on certain features for specific target audiences. Just as the escape puts lux features over advanced 4x4.

So yes sync 4 is available but it requires different hardware just as the automatic lift gate is available but requires different hardware. Both are omitted and there is a cost saving for both producer and consumer. The target audience of the bronco sport will be fine with sync 3 in their opinion and I agree.

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Sync 4 is just the next iteration of sync. Target audiences or premium vehicles don’t have anything to do with it. I’m guessing either the sync 4 software or hardware wasn’t quite ready yet or ford still had an abundance of sync 3 hardware that they needed to get rid of. Sync 4 is rolling out with the Mach e first, and then the f150 and bronco. I’m sure between MY 2022-2023 all new ford’s will have sync 4.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
My point is that premium vehicles have less trade offs and compromises. Not that sync 4 is a feature only for premium vehicles. Just like power lift gates are not from premium vehicles only.

Yes I agree fords entire line up will have sync 4 by 1 or 2 years. Because computer hardware advances and becomes less expensive quickly.

The escape has a power lift gate but has other small suv trade offs because it’s not a premium small suv. The bronco sport doesn’t have the latest infotainment system but does have the latest off road tech.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Sync 4 is just the next iteration of sync. Target audiences or premium vehicles don’t have anything to do with it. I’m guessing either the sync 4 software or hardware wasn’t quite ready yet or ford still had an abundance of sync 3 hardware that they needed to get rid of. Sync 4 is rolling out with the Mach e first, and then the f150 and bronco. I’m sure between MY 2022-2023 all new ford’s will have sync 4.
if the next iteration was a simple software update it would have it. It’s not. It’s different hardware that cost a different amount of money. (Like a power lift gate). The Mach e has sync 4 because it’s important to that targeted customer. That customer probably wants a power lift gate also but not interested in the latest iteration of off tech ford has

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2012 Ford Fusion
The reasoning is probably the same reasoning as the manual lift gate. This is not a premium vehicle with a premium price tag. There are trade offs to keep the price at a certain point by focusing on certain features for specific target audiences. Just as the escape puts lux features over advanced 4x4.

So yes sync 4 is available but it requires different hardware just as the automatic lift gate is available but requires different hardware. Both are omitted and there is a cost saving for both producer and consumer. The target audience of the bronco sport will be fine with sync 3 in their opinion and I agree.
Seems like a reasonable explanation that makes sense. I can see why you are an “essential” employee. 🙂

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
Seems like a reasonable explanation that makes sense. I can see why you are an “essential” employee. 🙂
HA I teach. And with the modified “normal” (I don’t agree with calling this normal) I have too much time to research then re-research this vehicle. I’ve never spent this much time researching a purchase but like to come here because there are so many questions that I don’t even think about or know to think about so then I’m forced to research that. It’s fun though, I enjoy it

Granger Ford

Badlands
First Name
Albert
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
HA I teach. And with the modified “normal” (I don’t agree with calling this normal) I have too much time to research then re-research this vehicle. I’ve never spent this much time researching a purchase but like to come here because there are so many questions that I don’t even think about or know to think about so then I’m forced to research that. It’s fun though, I enjoy it

That is a true teacher for you :thumbsup: always up for the task...

Tough job, however I still remember the ones, by name, that made an impact on my life...

I graduated HS in 1980...

Tdubz

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
if the next iteration was a simple software update it would have it. It’s not. It’s different hardware that cost a different amount of money. (Like a power lift gate). The Mach e has sync 4 because it’s important to that targeted customer. That customer probably wants a power lift gate also but not interested in the latest iteration of off tech ford has
If you look at my post, I say hardware and software. The bronco sport will get sync 4 eventually just like all other ford’s. Since you can’t upgrade sync 3 to sync 4, if you buy a sport now, you will be missing out on those features. You might not find those features to be worth it, but im sure the target audience of the sport would want the tow mode or off-road trail maps that sync 4 provides (like the bronco has).

Ford might have wanted to save the sync 4 debut for the vehicles that actually require it, ie those with larger screens like the mach e, f150, and bronco, and then roll it out to everyone else once production has ramped up.

essentialemployee

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Tahoe
If you look at my post, I say hardware and software. The bronco sport will get sync 4 eventually just like all other ford’s. Since you can’t upgrade sync 3 to sync 4, if you buy a sport now, you will be missing out on those features. You might not find those features to be worth it, but im sure the target audience of the sport would want the tow mode or off-road trail maps that sync 4 provides (like the bronco has).

Ford might have wanted to save the sync 4 debut for the vehicles that actually require it, ie those with larger screens like the mach e, f150, and bronco, and then roll it out to everyone else once production has ramped up.
the bronco sport will also be self driving eventually. And you won’t be able to upgrade to that. If you don’t buy a bronco sport now you will be missing out on a bronco sport

Advertisement