Slappy427

Outer Banks
First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No car
I’ve read differing information regarding if your phone needs to be -lugged in to use the SYNC3 system. It seems to me that Bluetooth would be used, as that has been a technological expectation for. Quite sometime. It seems unlikely that a vehicle coming out in 2020, wouldn’t be able to handle Applecar play with Bluetooth but SYNC4 will, according to reports. I’m confused about if phones need to be plugged in to use certain phone functions. Anyone know?
Sponsored

Molson

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Big Bend BS; '13 Subaru Impreza
Sync4 is the first infotainment version from Ford that supports apple CarPlay via Bluetooth. On sync3 you can still pair it via Bluetooth and use audio that way but to use CarPlay you will need to connect it via wire.

TXArchitect

First Edition
First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
Bummer that BS, as late as we are getting them still cannot get Sync 4. "Sad Face"

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I don’t use Apple car play. The sync 3 system I have does everything I need it to over Bluetooth, however if you want to use Apple car play, you will need to plug your phone in. Sync 4 has the wireless Apple car play.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Sync 4 is just the next iteration of sync. Target audiences or premium vehicles don’t have anything to do with it. I’m guessing either the sync 4 software or hardware wasn’t quite ready yet or ford still had an abundance of sync 3 hardware that they needed to get rid of. Sync 4 is rolling out with the Mach e first, and then the f150 and bronco. I’m sure between MY 2022-2023 all new ford’s will have sync 4.

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
The reasoning is probably the same reasoning as the manual lift gate. This is not a premium vehicle with a premium price tag. There are trade offs to keep the price at a certain point by focusing on certain features for specific target audiences. Just as the escape puts lux features over advanced 4x4.

So yes sync 4 is available but it requires different hardware just as the automatic lift gate is available but requires different hardware. Both are omitted and there is a cost saving for both producer and consumer. The target audience of the bronco sport will be fine with sync 3 in their opinion and I agree.
Seems like a reasonable explanation that makes sense. I can see why you are an “essential” employee. ?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
HA I teach. And with the modified “normal” (I don’t agree with calling this normal) I have too much time to research then re-research this vehicle. I’ve never spent this much time researching a purchase but like to come here because there are so many questions that I don’t even think about or know to think about so then I’m forced to research that. It’s fun though, I enjoy it

That is a true teacher for you :thumbsup: always up for the task...

Tough job, however I still remember the ones, by name, that made an impact on my life...

I graduated HS in 1980...

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
if the next iteration was a simple software update it would have it. It’s not. It’s different hardware that cost a different amount of money. (Like a power lift gate). The Mach e has sync 4 because it’s important to that targeted customer. That customer probably wants a power lift gate also but not interested in the latest iteration of off tech ford has
If you look at my post, I say hardware and software. The bronco sport will get sync 4 eventually just like all other ford’s. Since you can’t upgrade sync 3 to sync 4, if you buy a sport now, you will be missing out on those features. You might not find those features to be worth it, but im sure the target audience of the sport would want the tow mode or off-road trail maps that sync 4 provides (like the bronco has).

Ford might have wanted to save the sync 4 debut for the vehicles that actually require it, ie those with larger screens like the mach e, f150, and bronco, and then roll it out to everyone else once production has ramped up.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I’m forced to research that. It’s fun though, I enjoy it
if nothing else, this has been an interesting glimpse into the world of the auto business. That has been fun. When the sport finally arrives, there will be the start of more learning, about off-roading. It's a twofer.

I appreciate folks' patience as we grow!

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
so to summarize..
-your theory for sync 3 instead of sync 4 is that they just don’t want to add it/want it to premiere on a bigger screen
-my theory for sync 3 instead/ of sync 4 is that it’s cheaper

both plausible theories but I believe mine is slightly more plausible.

What’s your theory on the smaller size screen in the bronco sport? Is it cost or something else? Will the bigger screen be offered next year after it debuts on the 2/4dr?
My theory was that sync 4 hardware/software wasn’t ready yet (possibly bugs or supply issues) or that they had a bunch of sync 3 units they needed to get rid of. The bronco, f150 and Mach e all have screen sizes that sync 3 doesn’t support, so they are prioritized for the sync 4 units.

your theory included price (which I also agree with. Ford can be pretty cheap sometimes), but also mentioned that the target audience would be fine with sync 3 along with it not being a premium vehicle. I interpreted (maybe incorrectly) that as meaning you thought the target customer didn’t want the features of sync 4. I think there are features of sync 4 directly targeted towards that audience (see the trail maps and sharing functionality in the bronco).

as for the larger screen, I think that’s just ford being cheap again. Larger screens (meaning larger than the standard 8” screen, not necessarily the 12” in bronco or 15” in mach e) have trickled down to the smaller SUVs of several brands already. The dash design of the sport doesn’t seem to allow for a wider screen. They could go with a taller screen and remove the storage area that resides in that area now, but I don’t see that happening. I don’t think you will see larger screens in the sport until its refresh in 3-4 years.

OP
OP

Slappy427

Outer Banks
First Name
Dom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No car
I some what think you may be right about the reason for 3 instead of 4. Mach E getting priority if it requires a larger screen (why can’t the operating system run on a smaller screen?)

The Mach e and bronco sport have the same date for job 1 so it’s not because sync 4 is not ready.

Yes I agree with you that the sport customer would like the features that come with sync 4 (trail maps, and everything else) but I don’t believe most sport customers have it as high on the list (if we are getting a great sync 3) as Mach e customers- like having the lastest infotainment system and large screen.

Maybe I’m wrong and I only speak for myself.. I am honestly fine with sync 3 and I like the size of the screen. I actually dislike how big the Mach e screen is. Sync 4 with a slightly larger screen would be great but I wouldn’t even want to wait half a year more just to have it. I took all late availability items off to get it quicker.
So, I’ve been trying to do my research as well...I feel like the Sport is the vehicle I want for next purchase...not too big but still rugged...good tech, seems like plenty of head room (one of my biggest issues as I’m 6ft tall and always seeem to hit my head on the ceiling of cars) but I’m not seeing much I don’t like. Do you feel like this is going to be a good vehicle to purchase?

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I read on https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/2021-ford-ranger-to-offer-new-stx-special-edition-package/ that the 2021 Ranger is also using Sync 3. Is suppose that makes sense. At least we are not alone ?
The ranger is getting redesigned in MY2023 (for the US at least. Rest of the world will get the redesign next year I believe), so it makes sense it will carry on with sync 3. Usually these upgrades roll out with refreshes or redesigns. Im pretty excited for the next ranger. Enough so that I’m probably going to wait until it’s released to decide between bronco, sport, and ranger.
Sponsored