Badlands vs Outer Banks

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
I am on the fence about placing my order debating on features. My choices are between the Badlands and the Outer Banks. I live in Canada so everyday driving includes snow and icy conditions for at least half a year and potholes for the rest, but I am not really off roading. Is the Badlands overkill for such driving? Would the Outer Banks be enough. I like addiotnal features such as heated steering wheel and the sunroof which are less pricy on the Outer Banks. Any input welcome.
Sponsored

bronco3

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 435 xDrive Coupe
I would certainly imagine the outer banks would be plenty fine for driving year round in Canada. I believe you still get the “slippery” G.O.A.T. mode as well an independent front suspension for pot holes and on road driving (someone please correct me if I’m wrong on either of those things). The only interior feature I enjoy more on the BL is the leather seats, the color just looks awesome. Hope this unprofessional opinion helps lol!

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs Outer Banks 1597935855242

As you can see "slippery" (i am assuming this mode is the one that's used for ice/snow) is included in ALL trimm levels. BL gets 2 additional ones (see pic above). You just have to decide if you will ever need those 2 additional modes or not.... and if any other off road advantages in the BL is worth the price for your specific needs.

I am one who always go for a little bit more than I need: I
never buy the base model, nor the top trim. (in this case FE is limited so "middle" trim becomes BL for me). I do this because there's nothing worse than saving 2k bucks and then regretting and wishing EVERY SINGLE TIME i get in the car "ohh I wish I had this/that of the higher trim level". It's like adding RAM or wifi speed ... do i NEED 16GB and 400 MBPS? no BUT if I do need it and if there's a slow down, I know I have RESERVE.

To me the biggest thing re: BL vs OB is the engine... I just don't want to feel like i am lacking power and knowing I could have gotten 245HP.

You just have to decide: Do I need more comfort/lifestyle options OR do I need more off road/rugged options? SOUNDS to me like you need more lifestyle/comfort/convenience than off road. But pls consider: BL will get you the convenience stuff AND the off road stuff. You may not NEED it the 1st day you drive it BUT knowing that you HAVE it if your lifestyle ever changes.... Can it be worth the extra $$? If yes, then just go for BL. Also - you need to drive both and see how much power you will miss in OB vs BL. That might be a big indicator too.

I am a MILD off roader, and rarely even at that - I like to use my car to GET to trail heads that are sometimes hard to get to in a normal vehicle so I am going with BL+BL.

OP
OP

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
I would certainly imagine the outer banks would be plenty fine for driving year round in Canada. I believe you still get the “slippery” G.O.A.T. mode as well an independent front suspension for pot holes and on road driving (someone please correct me if I’m wrong on either of those things). The only interior feature I enjoy more on the BL is the leather seats, the color just looks awesome. Hope this unprofessional opinion helps lol!
Don't they both have leather seats? In the pictures they look similar.

OP
OP

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs Outer Banks 1597935855242

As you can see "slippery" (i am assuming this mode is the one that's used for ice/snow) is included in ALL trimm levels. BL gets 2 additional ones (see pic above). You just have to decide if you will ever need those 2 additional modes or not.... and if any other off road advantages in the BL is worth the price for your specific needs.

I am one who always go for a little bit more than I need: I never buy the base model, nor the top trim. (in this case FE is limited so "middle" trim becomes BL for me). I do this because there's nothing worse than saving 2k bucks and then regretting and wishing EVERY SINGLE TIME i get in the car "ohh I wish I had this/that of the higher trim level". It's like adding RAM or wifi speed ... do i NEED 16GB and 400 MBPS? no BUT if I do need it and if there's a slow down, I know I have RESERVE.

To me the biggest thing re: BL vs OB is the engine... I just don't want to feel like i am lacking power and knowing I could have gotten 245HP.

You just have to decide: Do I need more comfort/lifestyle options OR do I need more off road/rugged options? SOUNDS to me like you need more lifestyle/comfort/convenience than off road. But pls consider: BL will get you the convenience stuff AND the off road stuff. You may not NEED it the 1st day you drive it BUT knowing that you HAVE it if your lifestyle ever changes.... Can it be worth the extra $$? If yes, then just go for BL. Also - you need to drive both and see how much power you will miss in OB vs BL. That might be a big indicator too.

I am a MILD off roader, and rarely even at that - I like to use my car to GET to trail heads that are sometimes hard to get to in a normal vehicle so I am going with BL+BL.
Thanks for the perspective. I have spent a lot of money on computer hardware so the example is apropos. I likely will have to wait to drive them both, but I am leaning towards going all in on the BL with the leather package.

Lane4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bbbbbb
I am on the fence about placing my order debating on features. My choices are between the Badlands and the Outer Banks. I live in Canada so everyday driving includes snow and icy conditions for at least half a year and potholes for the rest, but I am not really off roading. Is the Badlands overkill for such driving? Would the Outer Banks be enough. I like addiotnal features such as heated steering wheel and the sunroof which are less pricy on the Outer Banks. Any input welcome.
I am in the same situation with my wife as she ordered the OB+OB package+tow+Co pilot as she likes the extra safety features. I prefer the badlands with the larger engine and leather ebony seats with the suede but like the larger tires on OB. Very tough choice here. Currently have 2012 Subaru Forrester 2.5 to compare. Hoping the BS will have better passing gear. Any thoughts or feedback

OP
OP

VapourTrails

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW
I am in the same situation with my wife as she ordered the OB+OB package+tow+Co pilot as she likes the extra safety features. I prefer the badlands with the larger engine and leather ebony seats with the suede but like the larger tires on OB. Very tough choice here. Currently have 2012 Subaru Forrester 2.5 to compare. Hoping the BS will have better passing gear. Any thoughts or feedback
I ended up ordering the BL with BL package. Definitely a trade off which ever way you choose. My current car is a 2.0 lite Turbo so that influenced my choice. Also I think the Bad Lands has a bit more cool factor. However I would probably prefer carpet over the rubber floor and I like the OB wheels better. For me the engine makes the biggest difference as it's a big part of the fun factor of driving a car. Six months in I won't care about the wheels or carpet but I will still enjoy the extra power.

Lane4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bbbbbb
I ended up ordering the BL with BL package. Definitely a trade off which ever way you choose. My current car is a 2.0 lite Turbo so that influenced my choice. Also I think the Bad Lands has a bit more cool factor. However I would probably prefer carpet over the rubber floor and I like the OB wheels better. For me the engine makes the biggest difference as it's a big part of the fun factor of driving a car. Six months in I won't care about the wheels or carpet but I will still enjoy the extra power.
Appreciate the feedback. She just reminded me that this is her car so my opinion does not matter .Ha! Guess I have to wait for the larger bronco to get what I want... as long as she is happy I am happy.

LeftyLynn

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Escape and 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
Looked at the Outer Banks and the Badlands tonight at my local dealership. I'm definitely going with the Badlands. I figured I would because of the engine alone, since I'm coming from a 2008 Escape with a V6. I thought the Outer Banks was supposed to be the model with the most creature comforts. However, the seats in the the Badlands are far superior in their comfort.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I prefer the badlands with the larger engine and leather ebony seats with the suede but like the larger tires on OB.
Larger WHEELS don't always mean larger tires. With the 17" wheels and the 235/65/17, the BL tires are larger than OB tires in every aspect.

OB has 225/60/18 and BL have 235/65/17 with faux steelies

.(even without steelies, BL has 235/60/17 and those are also larger than OB tires)

Ford Bronco Sport Badlands vs Outer Banks 1608915851121

Last edited:

Bamster00

Badlands
First Name
Bam Bam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
I just came back from my Badlands test drive, decision is made! So the Badlands vs. Outer banks - while I did not test the Outer Banks - I did look at one inc. the interior. I did test the Big Bend (same engine) - I highly recommend if you haven't test driven with the two different engines, that you do, it will help w any decisions. The Outer Banks is for those who want touches of luxury and comfort, like leather accents, and also a more fuel efficient engine. For me, Badlands is the choice - because I wanted the extra power in acceleration. The 1.5 engine was ok on this, especially if you change it to Sport mode (vs. Normal), it's got a little kick, but the Badland's 2.0 was perfect and comfortable and what I'm looking for, despite being less fuel efficient (23 average). I can live w/out the floor carpet (easier cleaning too) and can add car mats later. It was a cold morning and I was surprised that the Badlands model w/ no added packages - it had heated seats! I didn't see this anywhere in the descriptions, so need to confirm that for sure. All the 4x4 extras will be nice if I want to go play some day. Also, it may have been my imagination, but the Badlands might have been a little more comfortable ride over the bumps too.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a cold morning and I was surprised that the Badlands model w/ no added packages - it had heated seats! I didn't see this anywhere in the descriptions, so need to confirm that for sure.

Also, it may have been my imagination, but the Badlands might have been a little more comfortable ride over the bumps too.
Badlands does come with heated seats standard, I think. (to get the heated steering wheel however, you have to add the BL package)

BL (and 1st edition) does have a more off road suited "pliable" suspension that other trims don't have, so that's probably why you felt more comfortable going over bumps. AND it has higher profile (more sidewall) tires compared to OB. That helps to absorb bumps too.

Last edited:

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
I just came back from my Badlands test drive, decision is made! So the Badlands vs. Outer banks - while I did not test the Outer Banks - I did look at one inc. the interior. I did test the Big Bend (same engine) - I highly recommend if you haven't test driven with the two different engines, that you do, it will help w any decisions. The Outer Banks is for those who want touches of luxury and comfort, like leather accents, and also a more fuel efficient engine. For me, Badlands is the choice - because I wanted the extra power in acceleration. The 1.5 engine was ok on this, especially if you change it to Sport mode (vs. Normal), it's got a little kick, but the Badland's 2.0 was perfect and comfortable and what I'm looking for, despite being less fuel efficient (23 average). I can live w/out the floor carpet (easier cleaning too) and can add car mats later. It was a cold morning and I was surprised that the Badlands model w/ no added packages - it had heated seats! I didn't see this anywhere in the descriptions, so need to confirm that for sure. All the 4x4 extras will be nice if I want to go play some day. Also, it may have been my imagination, but the Badlands might have been a little more comfortable ride over the bumps too.
I think you'll love it! The 2.0L will definitely move this vehicle and the BL suspension shines off-road. MPG has been very good off-road with no real difference between normal road driving and dirt trails off-road. 24-26 mpg overall (60-75 mph highway and 30-60 mph off-road). Pretty happy with that mileage, especially off-road!

Bamster00

Badlands
First Name
Bam Bam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RAV4
I think you'll love it! The 2.0L will definitely move this vehicle and the BL suspension shines off-road. MPG has been very good off-road with no real difference between normal road driving and dirt trails off-road. 24-26 mpg overall (60-75 mph highway and 30-60 mph off-road). Pretty happy with that mileage, especially off-road!
that's good news about the mpg - thanks!
Sponsored