Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Still waiting for a test drive and some other data before committing 100% to the Sport. For storm chasing and volunteer EMS work, I have to get it right.

I found this article while surfing the web late last night. The Explorer FX4 could be an interesting alternative to the BS if I have to bail.

Not sure if it will be released, but I suspect if it's being tested, it will be offered at some point. If they add the ST twin-turbo and brake set-up, I'll buy it tomorrow!

Between the Broncos, Raptor and ST's, Ford is kicking butt right now in the automotive world.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/07/off-road-explorer-fx4-prototype-spied-testing-and-looking-rather-rugged/
Sponsored

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I love driving my wife's Platinum Explorer.

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I don't believe the ST can be lifted with the tuned suspension, although I have some mechanics working on it. It might be a lot more fun to chase in with twin turbos.

DropTheWorld

First Edition
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Why aren't we calling the Badlands BL instead of BS?

North7

Badlands
First Name
North7
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Still waiting for a test drive and some other data before committing 100% to the Sport. For storm chasing and volunteer EMS work, I have to get it right.

I found this article while surfing the web late last night. The Explorer FX4 could be an interesting alternative to the BS if I have to bail.

Not sure if it will be released, but I suspect if it's being tested, it will be offered at some point. If they add the ST twin-turbo and brake set-up, I'll buy it tomorrow!

Between the Broncos, Raptor and ST's, Ford is kicking butt right now in the automotive world.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/07/off-road-explorer-fx4-prototype-spied-testing-and-looking-rather-rugged/
Great concept but no lift of note, where is the ground clearance?

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I believe it’s rumored that it will be called timberline instead of fx4. I’ve been waiting for the 2021 explorer build and price to come up to hopefully shed some more details on it, but the B&P came up the other day and it and the king ranch explorer weren’t on it yet. I really enjoy the size of our explorer. It’s a nice vehicle.

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
I believe it’s rumored that it will be called timberline instead of fx4. I’ve been waiting for the 2021 explorer build and price to come up to hopefully shed some more details on it, but the B&P came up the other day and it and the king ranch explorer weren’t on it yet. I really enjoy the size of our explorer. It’s a nice vehicle.
Thanks so much for the update. Please post more if you see something.

I'm 90% sold on the Bronco and the only thing holding me back are the independent reviews, especially regarding highway driving / handling.

Either way, Ford gets my mula unless Land Rover comes through on a sponsorship.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Isn't this Explorer FX4 going to be both more expensive.. and more Gas guzzling than the BS-BL?

Honestly if I had the money (or if Ford sells it for dirt cheap) I would think twice about the Explorer too. However, I can't see this being any less than $45k. Its basically a direct competitor to the Toyota 4Runner TRD-Offroad which is 46-50K as well.

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
There are not a lot of choices right now. Most small SUV's are grossly under-powered, kid haulers. The Toyota is a super gas guzzler (18mpg or less) and has very poor highway handing with total failure acceleration. (I won't buy anything w/o 7 seconds or less 0-60). You can super-charge it for 8k.... right. The Explorer ST gets around 23 mpg in highway mode, but you lose the off-road advantages. I've given up on cost, as I'd rather pay more than drive a poor preforming vehicle. Gas prices are going to big a big issue next year. Trust me on this.

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
There are not a lot of choices right now. Most small SUV's are grossly under-powered, kid haulers. The Toyota is a super gas guzzler (18mpg or less) and has very poor highway handing with total failure acceleration. (I won't buy anything w/o 7 seconds or less 0-60). You can super-charge it for 8k.... right. The Explorer ST gets around 23 mpg in highway mode, but you lose the off-road advantages. I've given up on cost, as I'd rather pay more than drive a poor preforming vehicle. Gas prices are going to big a big issue next year. Trust me on this.
I'm going to suggest something a bit wild here but a friend of mine went this route...

A Certified Preowned Porsche Cayenne 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel

1) 240HP but... 406lb-ft torque
2) Has dual range transfer Case for Rock Crawling off-road capability
3) 21 city/28 hwy but he's reportedly getting 35mpg with other forum people hitting near 40mpg (supposedly)
4)Any issues are Covered under warranty (3yr-36K)... any basic wear and tear or maintenance take it to a local shop for saving.

He got it for around $35K and these Diesel engines last Forever.

OP
OP
Cyclone Cowboy

Cyclone Cowboy

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Thanks. The problem is interior size with the Porsche. We have to carry both chasing related equipment and EMS gear. Although we can sometimes store personal luggage in a service vehicle, the service vehicle is going to be phased out as soon as gas prices go "green."

Right now, the Bronco is still my top pick. Questions still remain about headlamp efficiency, acceleration, highway handling, ability to disable on/off engine and cargo volume. I know the Sport has a lot of mathematical volume, but it's calculated with emphasis on height in the rear section. Since we never fill the cargo section where we cannot see out the rear of the vehicle, this is still an unknown. We may be able to move some of the gear to the roof rack.

We have rented Explorers in the past and they worked fine, especially when the third row seats are removed or folded down. The one thing you lose is ground clearance, but that can be worked around, just like the lack of vertical sleeping length in the BS.

It's basically give and take. Since my chase vehicle is also my daily driver, I have to factor that into the equation. I don't see a viable electric vehicle in the near future. It would have to be a 4x4 with at least a 600 mile range for chasing and have the ability to charge overnight using a 120v. outlet, since we don't always end up in a major city with power or charging facilities. The closest vehicles, like the new Hummer, requires an 800v. (fast) charger and costs over 100k. That is not going to happen!

TheMalamute

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GMC Canyon
Thanks. The problem is interior size with the Porsche. We have to carry both chasing related equipment and EMS gear. Although we can sometimes store personal luggage in a service vehicle, the service vehicle is going to be phased out as soon as gas prices go "green."

Right now, the Bronco is still my top pick. Questions still remain about headlamp efficiency, acceleration, highway handling, ability to disable on/off engine and cargo volume. I know the Sport has a lot of mathematical volume, but it's calculated with emphasis on height in the rear section. Since we never fill the cargo section where we cannot see out the rear of the vehicle, this is still an unknown. We may be able to move some of the gear to the roof rack.

We have rented Explorers in the past and they worked fine, especially when the third row seats are removed or folded down. The one thing you lose is ground clearance, but that can be worked around, just like the lack of vertical sleeping length in the BS.

It's basically give and take. Since my chase vehicle is also my daily driver, I have to factor that into the equation. I don't see a viable electric vehicle in the near future. It would have to be a 4x4 with at least a 600 mile range for chasing and have the ability to charge overnight using a 120v. outlet, since we don't always end up in a major city with power or charging facilities. The closest vehicles, like the new Hummer, requires an 800v. (fast) charger and costs over 100k. That is not going to happen!
As cool as those new hummers look (my wife had a h3, loved it), the price tag is absolutely ridiculous. I told her I’ll buy her a 2022 EV in 2032!

Zander1ni

Big Bend
First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf tdi
I'm going to suggest something a bit wild here but a friend of mine went this route...

A Certified Preowned Porsche Cayenne 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel

1) 240HP but... 406lb-ft torque
2) Has dual range transfer Case for Rock Crawling off-road capability
3) 21 city/28 hwy but he's reportedly getting 35mpg with other forum people hitting near 40mpg (supposedly)
4)Any issues are Covered under warranty (3yr-36K)... any basic wear and tear or maintenance take it to a local shop for saving.

He got it for around $35K and these Diesel engines last Forever.
Honestly coming from a diesel I wouldn’t recommend this.

tdi engines are not bulletproof and when the warranty runs out the emissions gear will cost more than the car to repair. These have multiple cats, DPF, EGR, adblue. These parts have a 10 year 120k warranty.

outside this I highly recommend this car. I have a Touareg tdi (basically the same) it’s gets low 20s in the city and high 20s on the highway.With all terrains it off roads like a beast.

it’s is very very hard to find a cayenne with low range gearing and the adjustable air suspension. Maybe 1 in 100 have the off road package.
Sponsored