"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Reactions: Jrl

bloodfly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX STI
What happens when you push the auto start/stop button? Does the symbol change at all? In my experience with other brands of cars, the white "A" with the line through it doesn't mean it's off, that means it is in a "stand by" mode and will eventually turn green once the engine shuts itself off to save gas. If it is actually disabled, it turns orange and will stay off until the next ignition cycle.

brockdog12

Outer Banks
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I disabled mine with the Autostop Eliminator module I bought online. Had one on my 2019 Ranger and 2018 F150, worked great. Start/Stop is always off, unless you activate it.

SirEd

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I know a lot of people don't like auto start/stop but where I live in Southern California I spend so much time sitting in traffic that it really saves a lot of gasoline. I also use the auto hold feature so I don't have to keep my foot on the brake when I am sitting at a traffic light or in stop and go traffic. The only thing you have to remember if you use auto hold is to turn it off if you are going to an automatic car wash.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
I know a lot of people don't like auto start/stop but where I live in Southern California I spend so much time sitting in traffic that it really saves a lot of gasoline. I also use the auto hold feature so I don't have to keep my foot on the brake when I am sitting at a traffic light or in stop and go traffic. The only thing you have to remember if you use auto hold is to turn it off if you are going to an automatic car wash.
I had no idea about the auto hold feature!!!.....time to read the manual!!!...lol

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape SE FWD 1.5, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
What happens when you push the auto start/stop button? Does the symbol change at all? In my experience with other brands of cars, the white "A" with the line through it doesn't mean it's off, that means it is in a "stand by" mode and will eventually turn green once the engine shuts itself off to save gas. If it is actually disabled, it turns orange and will stay off until the next ignition cycle.
The grey/white “A” with a slash through it means the function (“feature”) is enabled, but hadn’t met all the conditions to actually shut the motor off. There are many factors that determine that, but if they’re met then it will go green and shut off.

I’m sure we all know our “lights” that can take awhile. I normally turn A/SS off right away, but will enable it every so often when conditions are right… those lights sometimes being that time.

SirEd

Base
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had no idea about the auto hold feature!!!.....time to read the manual!!!...lol
I hesitated to try auto hold, but once I did I really liked it. Basically when auto stop/start shuts off your engine you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the vehicle holds in place. Then you just press the accelerator pedal when you want to start the engine and go.

The auto hold switch is just below the parking brake switch. It will stay on permanently (indicated by an orange light) until you turn it off. Make sure to turn it off if going to an automatic car wash.

Like anything else new it takes a little time to get used to it. It also took me awhile to get used to auto stop/start but now I really like it too.

I can understand someone living in a rural area not wanting auto stop/start and I do think Ford should give you the ability to turn it off permanently if you don't want it. Maybe they get a higher fuel economy rating for city by not giving you the option to turn it off.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
I hesitated to try auto hold, but once I did I really liked it. Basically when auto stop/start shuts off your engine you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the vehicle holds in place. Then you just press the accelerator pedal when you want to start the engine and go.

The auto hold switch is just below the parking brake switch. It will stay on permanently (indicated by an orange light) until you turn it off. Make sure to turn it off if going to an automatic car wash.

Like anything else new it takes a little time to get used to it. It also took me awhile to get used to auto stop/start but now I really like it too.

I can understand someone living in a rural area not wanting auto stop/start and I do think Ford should give you the ability to turn it off permanently if you don't want it. Maybe they get a higher fuel economy rating for city by not giving you the option to turn it off.
I like the auto start/stop on my bs. Had it on my f150 and it was more noticeable and starter noise was loud. I hardly notice it on the bs and if saves a bit of fuel around the city.....great

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Pretty sure the symbol reported/shown (in the dash, not the button indicator light) means auto start stop is activated, but unavailable at the moment due to other operating conditions already discussed. It's Winter here (for the 1st time in mine) and I can't make the system come on no matter what I've tried. I can't believe the coolant temp (or battery temp? other?) could be so low to prevent it -- but I've switched all of my winter goodies "off" and even with the cabin preheated this system won't come on anymore.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I like the auto start/stop on my bs. Had it on my f150 and it was more noticeable and starter noise was loud. I hardly notice it on the bs and if saves a bit of fuel around the city.....great
Unfortunately, auto stop/start systems are more about politics than about actual savings. You can read an in-depth study conducted by Argonne National Laboratory here and draw your own conclusions.

What I got out of it is under very specific circumstances (5 or less restarts per day avoiding a 5+ minute idle for each) you can save something on the order of $400 in fuel over a 10-year period. But under typical use (10 or more restarts following less than 60 second idle for each) repair costs due to mechanical wear on starting system components will likely far exceed any cost savings on fuel. And manufacturing replacement components will overshadow any environmental benefit from slight amount of unburned fuel.

The stop/start system is good for really one thing: to improve EPA test results.

Whatheheck

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco sport, 21Mustang GT
That’s a lot of extra cycles on the starter !
Sponsored