Audio Cuts out for Split Second while listening to music

Petroph

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 F150
I literally picked up my new BS OBx today and thought that this happened on two songs I played from my iTunes playlist through Bluetooth. Noticed it both times but didn’t think much of it. And now I come here and read this… 💡
Ya I thought it was just me as well. Then I read this thread haha. 😅
Sponsored

missOutsyder

Outer Banks
First Name
KT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ya I thought it was just me as well. Then I read this thread haha. 😅
I know! I’m going to be noticing it all the time now, but hopefully I will get used to it and stop noticing it soon 🤞🏼

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I get this on my BL with the B&O. Doesn’t matter the source it’ll do it. I use a thumb drive most of the time. Even plugging in my iPhone does it. Doesn’t matter low or high bit rate. You get micro stutters regardless. Might be the shit dsp settings in the amp, but sounds like the low memory issue on older aftermarket android head units. I don’t think there’s a fix. I think most don’t notice it since it happens quick. Not like a hard skip with a pause. Is like playing the last 1/2 second of audio over again.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
i too have experienced this and all I listen to is my USB music stick. I’m letting the Ford board participate know about this.

Bron Swanson

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
At this point I am used to it 😄. I tried even more "if this, then that" troubleshooting steps since my last post a while back, but nothing seemed to resolve the issue.

Aside from cell towers / power lines, the only other things I can think of that would apply to all sorts of sources (FM, USB stick, etc.) are:

- "Auto-volume leveling" settings built into the vehicle (for example, just today I had another call that was going at one volume, then 5 minutes in it suddenly got a LOT louder out of nowhere). Perhaps auto-leveling is causing a skip across all types of sources? (Alternative thought...if it were cell tower related, perhaps the volume change is due to the signal being switched to a new tower? Admittedly though, how the heck would this affect FM or USB sources?)

- Maybe it is something to do with data being sent out to FordPass from the vehicle? Perhaps when data is sent from the vehicle it has some sort of priority ranking that outranks sound data for just a moment? 🤷‍♂️

TxHill

Outer Banks
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Did anybody mention that when your radio switches to HD mode it “skips” for a brief second? Could this be what everyone is experiencing?

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Did anybody mention that when your radio switches to HD mode it “skips” for a brief second? Could this be what everyone is experiencing?
No, this isn’t it

Big Kahuna

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Website
theshockleys.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford F350, 2012 Nissan Rogue
...and the volume changes as well, super annoying. I live out on the fringe and was pleased to find the option to disable HD Mode. :)

BroncoNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Its seems after I turned off Ford Diagnostics (the thing that pops up every time you turn on the Bronco Sport saying data is being sent to Ford), knock on wood, but it appears to stop skipping now.

Technically iOS16 came out during this time as well, but since people were seeing this with USB drives etc, seems like the above variable is what did the trick.

Bron Swanson

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Its seems after I turned off Ford Diagnostics (the thing that pops up every time you turn on the Bronco Sport saying data is being sent to Ford), knock on wood, but it appears to stop skipping now.

Technically iOS16 came out during this time as well, but since people were seeing this with USB drives etc, seems like the above variable is what did the trick.
I don't get this message when I start mine, oddly enough.

Where / how did you turn it off permanently?

Did doing so make it where you can no longer remote start via the app? (Assuming you use the app for remote start).

BroncoNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
I don't get this message when I start mine, oddly enough.

Where / how did you turn it off permanently?

Did doing so make it where you can no longer remote start via the app? (Assuming you use the app for remote start).
The message stopped appearing once I turned the last two settings off (if memory serves):
- Ford Connect -> Send Vehicle Data: Set to Off
- Settings -> Sync Analytics & Diagnostics -> Sync Analytics: Set to Off
- Settings -> Sync Analytics & Diagnostics -> Sync Diagnostics: Set to Off

I believe I only initially turned off the first step, or the last two steps, and was still having the message pop up every time started car and the music skipping issue. After that I got tired of the message so I turned it off - and shortly after that noticed audio seems to have stopped skipping (whereas before it was pretty bad).

I don't use remote start via the app (maybe that will change out w/ more hot outings, till then have it presumably on the key fob - badlands '22).

Bron Swanson

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
The message stopped appearing once I turned the last two settings off (if memory serves):
- Ford Connect -> Send Vehicle Data: Set to Off
- Settings -> Sync Analytics & Diagnostics -> Sync Analytics: Set to Off
- Settings -> Sync Analytics & Diagnostics -> Sync Diagnostics: Set to Off

I believe I only initially turned off the first step, or the last two steps, and was still having the message pop up every time started car and the music skipping issue. After that I got tired of the message so I turned it off - and shortly after that noticed audio seems to have stopped skipping (whereas before it was pretty bad).

I don't use remote start via the app (maybe that will change out w/ more hot outings, till then have it presumably on the key fob - badlands '22).
Much appreciated on the reply!

I am betting something about connected services is indeed the culprit.

Unfortunately, from what I have read online it looks like I would lose remote start via the app if I were to turn off these connected features.

As my Big Bend doesn't have remote start via key fob, it seems as though I need to decide which I would prefer...drop free audio, or remote start on a cold morning 🤔🤔🤔😄

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
I still get stutters using USB. I turned off those pop ups when I got my bs

21Broncosaurus

Big Bend
First Name
Ish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
I’ve tried almost everything to try and get stutttering to stop. Factory reset, hard reset, Bluetooth, wired Apple CarPlay, tried turning off analytics & diagnostic, nothing has fixed it permanently. Only thing I haven’t tried is disconnecting the battery and let it sit over night which I might do over the weekend. Vehicle gets checked out on the 28 so hopefully dealership has a solution.

BroncoNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
So after some months I've noticed disabling the analytics/diagnostics seems to have reduced the issue but perhaps not completely resolved it. Initially the cut outs happened once every 7-15 seconds (maybe more often), but after I've noticed its once or twice in a random feeling longer period, say once every 100-500 seconds. Post-change, Its been tolerable enough for me over a couple 8hr+ trips of listing to streaming audio, youtube, etc without wanting to rip the headunit out in frustration (but still noticed the occasional skip).

My (pure speculation) theory is this might be possible [software/hardware] architecture issue at the "Sync" layer - its probably fair to assume CarPlay was a bolt on to the Sync3 system. Turning off analytics/diagnostics improving the behavior might indicate lack of hardware processing power to process CarPlay+Audio+Diagnostics simultaneously without stutter - Alternatively some software components are running synchronous/blocking code that is manifesting in chops in audio. Video game consoles of the 90s (possibly now) often shipped with a sound processing unit that did nothing but play audio while another CPU did general processing. Newer versions of Sync (e.g. version 4) likely have more processing power, improved design?, and likely bugfixes to maybe address this.

My takeaway:
  1. I hope Ford fixes/improves/works around this at firmware level for Sync3 owners. Disabling analytics etc shouldn't be an out of box experience to get consistent audio performance
  2. The headunit design seems sane enough that a replacement head unit could be feasible aftermarket in 3-5 years. No guarantees though.
  3. There should of been a ~$2-3k option have 1) actually awesome speakers (the 'upgraded' ones are not great) 2) have the current gen Sync 4.

Other than audio so far Bronco sport badlands '22 has been holding up well across couple mountain passes and light city driving (under 5k miles). My very limited experience sees it like a more practical on-road version of a 2-door jeep wrangler or 2-door land rover defender.
Sponsored