AT vs Winter Tires, Real World Experience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester Sport
I’ve never had AT tires and always run on dedicated winter tires between November and April. I’ve gathered online that snow rated ATs are better than all season in snow/ice but not as good as dedicated winter tires. Can anyone share their personal experiences with ATs vs winter tires? Are folks in ski country planning to run ATs year round or get a second set of tires/wheels for a dedicated winter set-up?
Sponsored

MFM

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mercury Cougar Convertible
I've ordered the BL. If I wanted to run dedicated winter tires, can I purchase just the BL rims?

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I've ordered the BL. If I wanted to run dedicated winter tires, can I purchase just the BL rims?
I think you'll have to ask your dealer if they can order another set for you. In normal world order and if it was an already stock then that would be simple.

MFM

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm about to get my fingers on my Badlands.....Woohoo!
I cannot, however, get rims from Ford to mount Snow Tires. Insurance is a bit cheaper if you run Snow Tires in the Winter here in Ontario. Was thinking of running 225 snow tires, in the event that I need to throw chains on.
Canadian Tire has honest to really steelies that might do the job and will not get beaten up with chains. Can anyone out there provide the bolt spacing / pattern?

Cheers

Geojive

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
If you’re using them just for winter, I wonder if you could use steel escape rims, the ones that come with plastic hubcaps. I believe they are 17”. Our escape has aluminum wheels but they are 17.”

a set of steel rims would be cheaper than a set of aluminum I would think.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
I'm about to get my fingers on my Badlands.....Woohoo!
I cannot, however, get rims from Ford to mount Snow Tires. Insurance is a bit cheaper if you run Snow Tires in the Winter here in Ontario. Was thinking of running 225 snow tires, in the event that I need to throw chains on.
Canadian Tire has honest to really steelies that might do the job and will not get beaten up with chains. Can anyone out there provide the bolt spacing / pattern?

Cheers

5 x 108 (4.25"). Wheel offset is +37.5mm on the stock Big Bend wheels. I assume the Badlands offset is the same.

MFM

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5 x 108 (4.25"). Wheel offset is +37.5mm on the stock Big Bend wheels. I assume the Badlands offset is the same.
Here are the Spec's from the Canadian Tire Website for the Steel Rims.

Cheers

Ford Bronco Sport AT vs Winter Tires, Real World Experience Screenshot (20)

Wyo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport BL, 1968 Bronco, 2018 Expy
I use studless snows on my front wheel drive car (Focus ZX3) and it's pretty impressive but I honestly have had great luck with the Falken Wildpeaks AT3W's on my two Expeditions. Haven't found any need yet to do more. Anxious to try my BL with the Wildpeaks!

Meathanky

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I’ve never had AT tires and always run on dedicated winter tires between November and April. I’ve gathered online that snow rated ATs are better than all season in snow/ice but not as good as dedicated winter tires. Can anyone share their personal experiences with ATs vs winter tires? Are folks in ski country planning to run ATs year round or get a second set of tires/wheels for a dedicated winter set-up?
A/T Tires are just as good as winter as long as they have the snowflake symbol on side or M&S if not then they are just all seasons . Invest in a good tire with that symbol and you only need 1 set . I live in a condo so don't have room for winter tires

christopheru

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport, Toyota Prius AWDe
Three peak and snowflake symbol means only that they are 10% better than regular all seasons in snow. They cannot be as good as proper winter tyres no matter what the siping or tread pattern is because the rubber compound won’t stay supple in the cold even if they can pull through snow more or less ok.
That said, that symbol is good enough for the insurance discount in Ontario.
I am also planning on running my A/T tyres this winter. I am just going to have to remember that they are not winter tyres no matter what the symbol on the side says. Swapping them for proper winter tyres is easy should the need arise.

Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I live in the mountains with winter snow. I used to use 2 sets of rims/tires, but no more. Studded tires make way too much noise (think WW2 fighter aircraft). Michlen X-ice tires are counted by Kalifornia CHP as With chains on! 45K warranted, quiet as a church mouse. I won't use anything else. AND, I only have to have 1 set of wheel and tires!

MaxVelocity

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
I live in the mountains with winter snow. I used to use 2 sets of rims/tires, but no more. Studded tires make way too much noise (think WW2 fighter aircraft). Michlen X-ice tires are counted by Kalifornia CHP as With chains on! 45K warranted, quiet as a church mouse. I won't use anything else. AND, I only have to have 1 set of wheel and tires!
Keep in mind that snow tires are not recommended in warm weather due to their soft compound, according to Michelin:

Do you recommend using MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW in other seasons? MICHELIN® X-Ice® SNOW is winter tire line. Michelin recommends switching to summer or allseason tire line for summer period (for more safety, more fuel savings and more comfort during warm / hot months). Tire manufacturers recommend the use of winter tires when temperatures are consistently below 7°C (45°F). You may consult with your local Michelin tire dealer to determine the right tire to ensure your safety and best performance of your car.
Sponsored