Anybody see this of have one?

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Rear tow hook mounting point is standard for BSs without the Ford installed trailer hitch option but Ford did not include the Rear tow hook in every BS that didn’t have the Ford installed trailer hitch option (those owners had to purchase the Rear tow hook if they wanted one). Many posts about this topic on Bronco sport forum.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yes, Ive seen that before, some others on the board have purchased them to use as an attachment point because the BS model they own does not have tow hooks like the Badlands.

OP
OP
Summit

Summit

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco BIGBEND & 2023 Bronco BADLANDS
You're right, I've been doing some searches and it appears many post about the exact question I was trying to find out about. Sorry for the redundant post

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
Ford should have provided one standard in every Bronco Sport that is able to use one. I ended up just buying one. The Owner's Manual even mentions it. Cheers!
Ford Bronco Sport Anybody see this of have one? BS OM 264-265

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
Base model here. Had to buy the hook from Ford, it was like $40-$50. Best investment i've put on it.

RDS40

First Name
richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Explorer
Ford should have provided one standard in every Bronco Sport that is able to use one. I ended up just buying one. The Owner's Manual even mentions it. Cheers!
Ford Bronco Sport Anybody see this of have one? BS OM 264-265
Absoltly. They refer to it in the manual under emergency operations, then don't supply the needed part? That bolt would add a few dollars, at best to the cost.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
You can find them on Amazon. Since I still have FordPass points, I just used them at my local dealer. It is LEFT-HAND threaded. The part number is EM2Z17A954A. MSRP is $51.72, but you can find it cheaper from Ford Parts dealers online. Cheers!

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Not to be a chronic complainer about deletions, but if Ford considers a fuel fill funnel (to be able to use red gas cans to fill the tank) and towing hooks (to be able to have another vehicle tow the BS out of a bad situation) as something "you must carry in the vehicle at all times", then their deletion/non-inclusion is outright embarrassing. They're saying that they're selling the vehicle without essential safety equipment.

My 2023 owner's manual tells me that there's a fuel funnel under the luggage compartment floor cover. Yes, yes there is... because I spent $8 to get two on Amazon.

I'm not going to be a Pessimistic Pete and harp on about this, I heard about some of these deletions, I accepted some (didn't hear about others) and still bought my vehicle which I'm happy with. But telling someone that an item "must be carried in the vehicle at all times" and "if your vehicle doesn't have a towing eye, one can be purchased" is beyond absurd. If it was skipped to prevent a mis-build, mail the registered owner a towing eye. Between parts and S&H it can't cost more than $4...

The real tragedy is owners who aren't informed on these and think Ford has accounted for these contingencies, only to open the manual, check were asked, and not find what they need in a roadside emergency...

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
Not to be a chronic complainer about deletions, but if Ford considers a fuel fill funnel (to be able to use red gas cans to fill the tank) and towing hooks (to be able to have another vehicle tow the BS out of a bad situation) as something "you must carry in the vehicle at all times", then their deletion/non-inclusion is outright embarrassing. They're saying that they're selling the vehicle without essential safety equipment.

My 2023 owner's manual tells me that there's a fuel funnel under the luggage compartment floor cover. Yes, yes there is... because I spent $8 to get two on Amazon.

I'm not going to be a Pessimistic Pete and harp on about this, I heard about some of these deletions, I accepted some (didn't hear about others) and still bought my vehicle which I'm happy with. But telling someone that an item "must be carried in the vehicle at all times" and "if your vehicle doesn't have a towing eye, one can be purchased" is beyond absurd. If it was skipped to prevent a mis-build, mail the registered owner a towing eye. Between parts and S&H it can't cost more than $4...

The real tragedy is owners who aren't informed on these and think Ford has accounted for these contingencies, only to open the manual, check were asked, and not find what they need in a roadside emergency...
SPOT-ON Coopny! :cool:

"...if Ford considers ... towing hooks (to be able to have another vehicle tow the BS out of a bad situation) as something "you must carry in the vehicle at all times", then their deletion/non-inclusion is outright embarrassing. They're saying that they're selling the vehicle without essential safety equipment."

That's exactly right.

"The real tragedy is owners who aren't informed on these and think Ford has accounted for these contingencies, only to open the manual, check were asked, and not find what they need in a roadside emergency..."

Yep. It's no different from deleting the jack, spare, and/or lug wrench.

If Ford (or any other mfr) is going to delete items that are mentioned in the owner's manual and/or are reasonably expected to be provided, then at the very least they should post a list of deletions beside the window sticker. Be honest and up front about it.

Quietly deleting a piece of safety equipment without notifying buyers is not a good look.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cover is there, but factory hitch blocks threaded hole.
Exactly.

Every BS should have both the threaded hole and the 'towing eye' (as shown in the manual).

One surprise was that, as you said, the factory hitch blocks threaded hole. Many/most BS Forum owners are aware of that now, but it was not common knowledge when the BS came out.

For Bronco Sports with the factory hitch, a shackle hitch receiver should be supplied. I was able to get the dealer/Ford to give us one -- the Curt that they sell (it's pretty decent).

At the very least, Ford should make it clear that the tow eye cannot be used with the factory hitch, so owners know they must buy a shackle hitch receiver (if they're concerned about it).

Without notice, buyers are likely to think they can use the towing eye in the rear -- until they need it and realize the threaded hole is blocked.

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
SPOT-ON Coopny! :cool:

"...if Ford considers ... towing hooks (to be able to have another vehicle tow the BS out of a bad situation) as something "you must carry in the vehicle at all times", then their deletion/non-inclusion is outright embarrassing. They're saying that they're selling the vehicle without essential safety equipment."

That's exactly right.

"The real tragedy is owners who aren't informed on these and think Ford has accounted for these contingencies, only to open the manual, check were asked, and not find what they need in a roadside emergency..."

Yep. It's no different from deleting the jack, spare, and/or lug wrench.

If Ford (or any other mfr) is going to delete items that are mentioned in the owner's manual and/or are reasonably expected to be provided, then at the very least they should post a list of deletions beside the window sticker. Be honest and up front about it.

Quietly deleting a piece of safety equipment without notifying buyers is not a good look.
When my neighbor got her '23 BS Big Bend a few months back, I looked it over and walked her through setting up her center screen options, cell phone, and Wi-Fi. Checking the cargo area, I saw that there was no recovery eye and no funnel. She called the dealer, and they did supply the funnel, and I gave her a recovery hook (tow eye) for Christmas.
She wondered if her folks' Big Bend was missing the recovery eye also. I assured her it wasn't necessary as their car has the factory towing option. They had a '16 Escape previously, so they were already aware of the need for the funnel on Ford cars with the capless fuel filler neck.

This deletion of the recovery hook is not new to Ford. My '17 Escape did not come with a recovery eye. Worse than that, on the '17 Escapes, there are no recovery sockets on the front nor the back of the car. A flat bed driver would have to hook to a suspension item if the car had to be pulled up onto a roll-on/flat bed. I kept a print of the proper jacking points, towing and recovery procedures in the pocket on the back of the driver's seat - fortunately never needed it printout.
The other day, I noted that there was a box of Ford style gas funnels in the auto section at my local food store. I thought that was odd. There's usually a funnel there in the shelf area of the oil and fuel additives, but never saw the Ford style gas funnels there before.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I gave her a recovery hook (tow eye) for Christmas.
And they say chivalry is dead. :cool:

She wondered if her folks' Big Bend was missing the recovery eye also. I assured her it wasn't necessary as their car has the factory towing option.
Just to be clear, the towing eye is not necessary in that case (because it cannot be used) but a shackle hitch receiver is needed. Apparently our dealer and/or Ford agreed with me (or just wanted to get rid of me...) because they gave us the Curt unit that Ford sells as an accessory. This one:

Ford Bronco Sport Anybody see this of have one? 1704490760918

Some might question the need for a shackle hitch receiver. If so, they are claiming that NO rear recovery point is necessary, including the towing eye that Ford says (in the owner's manual) MUST be kept in the vehicle at all times (see post #5 above).

Like any other emergency equipment, it may never be needed. I still have the OE 'donut' spare tires that came with my NX2000 and WRX. They have never been used but I'm glad I have them just in case. If the shackle hitch receiver is needed, hopefully it's to help someone else out.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I don't go off-roading with my '23 OBX. I did however buy one of these and keep it in the spare tire compartment in case I ever have a need for it.
Sponsored