bschmeer

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
In short, I have a signed contract by the dealer and myself to purchase a Bronco Sport Badlands Trim. We agreed on price, arranged financing, insurance, and I even significantly altered travel plans in order to pick up the car in in Fort Benton, Montana. I am now stuck renting a car until I can find an alternative. In the last hour, the dealer backed out and said they were unaware of a corporate policy that prohibits them selling the car before it reaches 4k miles. They refuse to honor the contract despite it being signed

The dealership is Jim Taylor Motors in Fort Benton, Montana.

I don't know what to do - this will ultimately cost me a lot of money - all of my plans were catered around having this plan on the agreed upon date. Total disaster. Should I get a lawyer?

Totally lost faith in Ford after this. I am in shock. And I don't understand how they can back out of a contract for no justifiable reason - if I tried to do that they wouldn't allow me....

Thanks in advance. Enjoy your Bronco Sports... :(
Sponsored

KRYSTAL11375

Big Bend
First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, Ford F150
In short, I have a signed contract by the dealer and myself to purchase a Bronco Sport Badlands Trim. We agreed on price, arranged financing, insurance, and I even significantly altered travel plans in order to pick up the car in in Fort Benton, Montana. I am now stuck renting a car until I can find an alternative. In the last hour, the dealer backed out and said they were unaware of a corporate policy that prohibits them selling the car before it reaches 4k miles. They refuse to honor the contract despite it being signed

I don't know what to do - this will ultimately cost me a lot of money - all of my plans were catered around having this plan on the agreed upon date. Total disaster. Should I get a lawyer?

Totally lost faith in Ford after this. I am in shock. And I don't understand how they can back out of a contract for no justifiable reason - if I tried to do that they wouldn't allow me....

I don't know anything about the legality of something like this. It was told to me that mannequins would be shipped to dealers before our reservation orders but they couldn't be sold until 4k miles or 4 months old. They would be used as loaner cars (at least that is how my dealer is using them) I have had friends go through this in the past where the dealer backed out of the deal and there was nothing they could do. Not saying you couldn't, you may or may not. But Ford themselves, not the dealers have said the mannequins can't be sold. That has been my understanding, I talked with my dealer and Ford marketing about it because I was curious how others could get one before those of us that put a deposit down and reserved one. That is when I was explained what the mannequins were. Sorry this happened to you. were. Hope you are able to get something worked out.

OP
OP

bschmeer

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
I don't know anything about the legality of something like this. It was told to me that mannequins would be shipped to dealers before our reservation orders but they couldn't be sold until 4k miles or 4 months old. They would be used as loaner cars (at least that is how my dealer is using them) I have had friends go through this in the past where the dealer backed out of the deal and there was nothing they could do. Not saying you couldn't, you may or may not. But Ford themselves, not the dealers have said the mannequins can't be sold. That has been my understanding, I talked with my dealer and Ford marketing about it because I was curious how others could get one before those of us that put a deposit down and reserved one. That is when I was explained what the mannequins were. Sorry this happened to you. were. Hope you are able to get something worked out.
Thank you! I even double checked beforehand that this car was not a loaner - they assured me it wasn't (obviously they were wrong!). I am just confused how they can get out of a contract they signed - their mistake - with no penalty. Thank you for your response!

KRYSTAL11375

Big Bend
First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, Ford F150
Thank you! I even double checked beforehand that this car was not a loaner - they assured me it wasn't (obviously they were wrong!). I am just confused how they can get out of a contract they signed - their mistake - with no penalty. Thank you for your response!
Have you contacted Ford directly or try to find the General Managers Ford rep and speak with them? Cause this is definitely all on the dealership.

OP
OP

bschmeer

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
Have you contacted Ford directly or try to find the General Managers Ford rep and speak with them? Cause this is definitely all on the dealership.
I am trying to figure out how to get the contact information for the rep or really anyone at corporate ford. I tried calling the customer service line and they told me to "write a letter to the headquarters" - not ideal when I am renting a car now! Thanks for your reply!

KRYSTAL11375

Big Bend
First Name
Krystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion, Ford F150
I am trying to figure out how to get the contact information for the rep or really anyone at corporate ford. I tried calling the customer service line and they told me to "write a letter to the headquarters" - not ideal when I am renting a car now! Thanks for your reply!
Try getting on Fords website and doing a chat with someone. That is how I am always able to get a number to whatever info I am looking for. Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.

olly12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
I heard that Ford threatened dealers with reduced allocations of future Full Size Bronco stock if they broke the rules regarding Bronco Sport 'mannequins' which are intended to keep a version visible in showrooms for potential buyers until their production starts filling lots.

Geojive

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I can’t imagine they didn’t know. My dealer has two mannequins that they need to put 4000 miles on before they can sell them. Ford wants them to be used as service loaners to get people interested in trading in.

Dave B

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Ford sets the rules, sounds like the dealer screwed up. When they placed the order, it should have been a ”retail” order, not ”stock”
Ours was the first Bronco Sport delivered to our dealer, with no issues. Even when I did a vin search, on this site it came up with my name on the order.

GT1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw x1, 1965 mustang GT convert

As others noted this is a Ford restriction. I had similar issue with two dealers where sales person saw car and offered it. In both cases sales manager pulled them back and said the car was restricted by Ford. On positive side these cars were only $100 to reserve and dealers in my area are getting cars that people decide they don't want or can't afford and they are free to sell those. Shop around knowing the key question to ask now (preferable to manager at dealership) and you should be able to pick one up. Demand is high, but reservation systems has resulted in a few unrestricted cars at many dealership. Mind arrived last week. Happy with Badlands choice.

Freeskierdude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 CRV
My BL I ordered hasn't been delivered yet and I'm afraid it will be tomorrow when they deliver. I had to put down a thousand dollar deposit. I'm going to be away tomorrow and Friday. My bank is closed on Saturday. There isn't any way they will sell it out from under me this weekend if it gets delivered and I'm away?

OP
OP

bschmeer

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
My BL I ordered hasn't been delivered yet and I'm afraid it will be tomorrow when they deliver. I had to put down a thousand dollar deposit. I'm going to be away tomorrow and Friday. My bank is closed on Saturday. There isn't any way they will sell it out from under me this weekend if it gets delivered and I'm away?
I think you're probably good to go freeskier. My dealer happened to suck but I would bet yours won't mind sitting on it for a few days while you're away. Just keep in contact with them and let them know you're still buying it.

I appreciate it was a mistake on the dealers part, but I am blown away that they are unapologetic and actually signed a contract with me and then are just trying to pretend it never happened....I thought contracts were a binding document?!

It's a bad look for Ford that their dealers are so clueless, their customer service is so poor, and an even worse look for this dealer in particular. But I guess that's the luck of the draw. I'll do what I can to get this resolved but I'm not hopeful. Been a terrible experience so far. At this point I probably just won't buy a Bronco Sport out of spite ? But gosh do they have more character than most SUVs on the road today!

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Have you talked to the general manager at the dealership? Dealers are allowed to order two mannequins which have the 4k miles restriction. These are not customer orders. The dealer orders whatever options they want on those vehicles. Customer orders are completely separate. Sounds like you either talked to someone who doesn’t know anything, or your dealer put your order in as a mannequin. I’d just try to go to a different Ford dealer and pick one up of the dealer lot.
Sponsored