Colonel Angus

Big Bend
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport, 2018 Ford F150 XLT
Don't know about a death spiral but they sure are having trouble selling them. They are too damn expensive and impractical for most people. Hell, the auto industry as a whole is a mess. When an F-150 Lariat can have a sticker price over $88,000 it's time to regroup. Think about that, $88,000 for a pick-up truck. With taxes you have to be close or over a hundred grand for a truck. Not enough people are going to do that.

OP
OP
wireman

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Click bait. There’s no death spiral at least not yet. That person would have written a similar article in the horse and buggy era.
Just his opinion. They are years away from being mainstream. Auto mags, the government, etc, are trying to make these the cat's meow, and obviously it isn't worth it right now.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Just his opinion. They are years away from being mainstream. Auto mags, the government, etc, are trying to make these the cat's meow, and obviously it isn't worth it right now.
Don’t disagree with you but the slow death spiral is ICE and perhaps the Earth but seems like that’ll take awhile. Even if motors and batteries replace ICE and gasoline something else is going to replace batteries. Someday. It’s inevitable.

I experimented with electric motors and solar cells when I was 8. So a very long time ago. Purchased from Radio Shack with money earned cutting grass. Well before America landed men on the moon. Had to learn Power = V * I, V = I / R from books and learned about gears and torque etc. I could not afford the number of solar cells it would take to reasonably power even a small DC motor I salvaged. I’ve been disappointed about EVs for a long time but that didn’t stop me from becoming an EE.

Last edited:

OP
OP
wireman

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Don’t disagree with you but the slow death spiral is ICE and perhaps the Earth but seems like that’ll take awhile. Even if motors and batteries replace ICE and gasoline something else is going to replace batteries. Someday. It’s inevitable.

I experimented with electric motors and solar cells when I was 8. So a very long time ago. Purchased from Radio Shack with money earned cutting grass. Well before America landed men on the moon. Had to learn E = IR from books and learned about gears and torque etc. I could not afford the number of solar cells it would take to reasonably power even a small DC motor I salvaged. I’ve been disappointed about EVs for a long time but that didn’t stop me from becoming an EE.
Will I own one, probably not in my lifetime. Mid 70's and just can't justify one right now.
If you didn't do road trips and did mostly short commutes it's probably worth it.
Technology is moving so quickly now, who know what the next 10 years will bring as far as battery tech, wireless charging?

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I think they are a place holder until a more viable solution becomes available. If all the cars you see on the road were electric, the current electrical grid would not support them. Then imagine waiting somewhere for 45 minutes to an hour to charge your vehicle while you were already waiting for who knows how long for your turn to charge. When the electrial grid is stressed the first thing the utilitity companies want people to do is cut back on electrical use, that includes vehicle charging. The elephant in the room know one is talking about is mining of the elements (litheum for example) which is needed for EV batteries, the process is very distructive in the way that it's mined and BTW the Chinese own the largest mines in the world which are located in Africa.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think they are a place holder until a more viable solution becomes available. If all the cars you see on the road were electric, the current electrical grid would not support them. Then imagine waiting somewhere for 45 minutes to an hour to charge your vehicle while you were already waiting for who knows how long for your turn to charge. When the electrial grid is stressed the first thing the utilitity companies want people to do is cut back on electrical use, that includes vehicle charging. The elephant in the room know one is talking about is mining of the elements (litheum for example) which is needed for EV batteries, the process is very distructive in the way that it's mined and BTW the Chinese own the largest mines in the world which are located in Africa.
I agree that todays EVs with current battery technology are a place holder.

About the US electrical grid in most parts of the US…
Yes you are correct upgrading the power grid is absolutely necessary regardless if EVs existed or not. Its cost will run $1T to multiple trillions of dollars. It’s going to create huge numbers of jobs across many industries. And train lots of people into good paying jobs. One of the thoughts being considered is local power generation and storage regionally, down to neighborhoods but the most exciting is power generation and storage at each home, apartment building, etc.

OP
OP
wireman

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don't want to get political, but here in Ca. building any new power plant is sacrilegious.

Can't do nuclear, can't do any kind for whatever reason. They shut down 1 nuclear plant a few years back.

We have rolling blackouts in the summer but yet let's all get on the bandwagon with EV's.

Let's just import more expensive electricity and it makes all the higher up's feel good somehow that their saving the world. Yet guess who pay's the price.

That's as far as I'll go with this.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV's basically aren't ready for prime time and the infrastructure isn't ready for EVs.

That's the bottom line.
That’s a broad statement but your definition for prime time and for infrastructure not ready is not the same as mine.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
That’s a broad statement but your definition for prime time and for infrastructure not ready is not the same as mine.
Yep, It will never work. In my former state NJ, there are many crowded cities with multifamily homes and apartment houses with off-street parking only for the property owners and not the tenants. Will the many chargers needed for street parking on the street where they'll be vandalized even if installed? NFW! This is just in NJ. What about other states and places like Queens or Brooklyn NY? It's a Democratic pipedream.
Sponsored