Advisement on removing Aeroskin II textured hood?

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Got it off and all glue cleaned off took me bout 30 mins easy peasy. Gotta say wife was right on this one gives it a cleaner look I think

Ford Bronco Sport Advisement on removing Aeroskin II textured hood? PXL_20230520_021139239.MP
Do you have a link to your raptor lights? That’s exactly what I’m looking for but have only seen raptor lights on a different grill
Sponsored

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just about to order these but wanted to double check, I assume you drilled a hole in the grill? Did you run to an auxiliary switch? Thanks man!
Yes I used a dremel tool to shape out some slots on that plastic grill panel, then permatex (autozone) to mount in and hold/weatherproof. They are actually hard wired to a ground, may run them to a switch eventually.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Yes I used a dremel tool to shape out some slots on that plastic grill panel, then permatex (autozone) to mount in and hold/weatherproof. They are actually hard wired to a ground, may run them to a switch eventually.
Awesome! Mine should get here today so bear with me cause I have 2 more questions! By hardwired do u mean spliced into an existing wire? Straight to battery? I see the one I got comes with a wire tap so I will probably just run it to a fuse but was just curious. Dumb question I know lol secondly, did u Dremel out just enough to get the wires through or did u dremel out enough to make the lights sit flush with the plastic?

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Awesome! Mine should get here today so bear with me cause I have 2 more questions! By hardwired do u mean spliced into an existing wire? Straight to battery? I see the one I got comes with a wire tap so I will probably just run it to a fuse but was just curious. Dumb question I know lol secondly, did u Dremel out just enough to get the wires through or did u dremel out enough to make the lights sit flush with the plastic?
yes it's running to a fuse in the engine bay fuse box, forgive me I don't remember which one as this was the trickiest part trying to figure out which fuse, and it was quite a while ago. Then the neg is running to a ground. So the are always on when the engine starts. But tbh I haven't had the ground hooked up in a while so they don't run, my opinion on them comes and goes on if I like them or not haha.

As far as dremeling you will see on the lights where there is a housing on the back along w/ little clips for clipping into to the actual grill it was designed for. In our case I drilled a hole that is enough for the housing and clips to fit through, leaving the outter lip of the light to sit flush on the grill.

This can be tricky but start with small holes and work it wider untill you can get that back housing and clips in. Then I put the permatex around the edges that sit flush on the grill, this can get messy, clean up the excess. Then I covered the entire back housing and the inside of the grill with the ptex to firmly secure and weatherproof it. You may have to hold the lights in place for bit to let the ptex settle in. Take your time and don't rush it.

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
yes it's running to a fuse in the engine bay fuse box, forgive me I don't remember which one as this was the trickiest part trying to figure out which fuse, and it was quite a while ago. Then the neg is running to a ground. So the are always on when the engine starts. But tbh I haven't had the ground hooked up in a while so they don't run, my opinion on them comes and goes on if I like them or not haha.

As far as dremeling you will see on the lights where there is a housing on the back along w/ little clips for clipping into to the actual grill it was designed for. In our case I drilled a hole that is enough for the housing and clips to fit through, leaving the outter lip of the light to sit flush on the grill.

This can be tricky but start with small holes and work it wider untill you can get that back housing and clips in. Then I put the permatex around the edges that sit flush on the grill, this can get messy, clean up the excess. Then I covered the entire back housing and the inside of the grill with the ptex to firmly secure and weatherproof it. You may have to hold the lights in place for bit to let the ptex settle in. Take your time and don't rush it.
You’re a legend thank you!! Cutting plastic scares tf outta me but I’m goin for it hahah and for what it’s worth I think they look killer on your rig👍 I’ll post my results here!

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You’re a legend thank you!! Cutting plastic scares tf outta me but I’m goin for it hahah and for what it’s worth I think they look killer on your rig👍 I’ll post my results here!
Thanks bro, yeah it was my first rodeo doing aaaanything like that so I was nervous. Just go slow and be patient, may i recommend (what I didn't do and should have) is try to mount the lights to the top of that plastic part so it's flush with the upper part of the grill, that way you don't have to worry about them being crooked or anything.

attached this pic for reference, try to line the lights up flush with that if you can. Only thing I would have done different, cuz i'm ocd and if they are slightly crooked it drives me nuts. That just reduces that risk.

Ford Bronco Sport Advisement on removing Aeroskin II textured hood? InkedPXL_20230520_021139239.MP_LI

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thanks bro, yeah it was my first rodeo doing aaaanything like that so I was nervous. Just go slow and be patient, may i recommend (what I didn't do and should have) is try to mount the lights to the top of that plastic part so it's flush with the upper part of the grill, that way you don't have to worry about them being crooked or anything.

attached this pic for reference, try to line the lights up flush with that if you can. Only thing I would have done different, cuz i'm ocd and if they are slightly crooked it drives me nuts. That just reduces that risk.

Ford Bronco Sport Advisement on removing Aeroskin II textured hood? InkedPXL_20230520_021139239.MP_LI
Thank you for the advice man I’ll take any and all info going into it so much appreciated! One more question! What kind of permatex did you use? Do the clips feel sturdy enough to hold or did u get the permatex that doubles as a silicon sealant ? I’ll try and not throw too many questions your way after this one 😂

OP
OP
JohnSilver

JohnSilver

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Thank you for the advice man I’ll take any and all info going into it so much appreciated! One more question! What kind of permatex did you use? Do the clips feel sturdy enough to hold or did u get the permatex that doubles as a silicon sealant ? I’ll try and not throw too many questions your way after this one 😂
You're good. It's just black permatex you can buy at any AutoZone. You will definitely need to apply it, the clips aren't enough to hold with how you'll have to Dremel the hole, plus this will keep water from entering in anywhere.

https://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-adhesives-and-tape/sealant/p/permatex-ultra-black-rtv-silicone-maximum-oil-resistance-gasket-maker-3oz/554295_0_0?cmpid=LIA:US:EN:AD:NL:1000000:GEN:19502231967&&CATARGETID=120054150001286529&CADevice=m&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAzc2tBhA6EiwArv-i6QNY10VhjTf09askfR8s4YsFLotjDSvn9h5TKHR7d4Q4pou1v84QKxoCwQUQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Chiefthepup

Big Bend
First Name
Colt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
It's held on with double sided tape. You can use the fishing line method as described in this video:

Or just tell the wife "no". :crackup:
No you cant. There is a primer also used. You will ruin everything.
Sponsored