Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
i can’t imagine why someone would turn away service, even if it’s factory warranty work. You deliver on the “free” work, build the relationship and then when something arises out of warranty you have the opportunity to sell retail work. Ive never encountered that with any vehicle or brand I’ve brought into service..

With that said it would be one heck of a drive to bring the BS to to granger to get warranty work but I’m sure they’d do a heck of a job if I needed something.
I’ve never had an issue either.
Sponsored

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
I’ve never had an issue either.
I've been surprised that it's so widespread.

A rational policy for a dealership service dept. to have would be to take all work that comes their way. Even if it pays less, they may build a long-term relationship with those customers. Instead, it seems that many dealerships use customers as pawns in their fight with mfrs over reimbursement rates for warranty work.

It might be understandable (if not the best practice) for dealers to prioritize retail parts & service over warranty work, but to flat-out refuse to do warranty repairs because the vehicle was not purchased from them?! That's just petty and short-sighted.

As I've mentioned, it's not just the auto industry -- RV mfrs and dealers are even worse. It's the same primary issue though -- the dealers are not satisfied with how much the mfrs pay them for warranty work and the customers take the hit.

Of course not all auto dealers are like that -- as your experience shows. There are exceptions to almost everything. For example, most people are not very fond of dealing with the MVA/DMV. I generally agree, but the Maryland MVA office in Hagerstown is significantly better than any other location I've been to. It's getting 'discovered' now, so the wait times are becoming longer, but aside from my last visit it has been exceptional -- walk in; little (if any) wait; the employees are friendly; they go out of their way to be helpful, etc. If that was my only MVA experience I would question the horror stories other people tell.

Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
I would like to think that with factory warranty work, you know you’re getting paid.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would like to think that with factory warranty work, you know you’re getting paid.
Exactly. Sure it's less than retail but payment is guaranteed.

It makes no sense to a normal, intelligent, rational person for a dealer's service dept. to stiff-arm potential customers.

Near as I can tell from the various service managers and other dealership employees who have commented about this over the years, there are 2 primary reasons for service managers' petulant behavior:

1) They believe the mfr should reimburse them at a higher rate -- closer to retail -- for warranty work. In addition, warranty work sometimes requires the service dept. to jump through more hoops than they would with a retail job -- the mfr may require that replaced parts be returned to the factory, parts may be tested to confirm they are faulty, there's more paperwork, etc. Some see it as a necessary evil. So they are angry with the mfr, but take it out on the customer.

2) Another issue that's been mentioned is that there are some dealers that focus on selling cars and trucks and have the bare minimum for a service dept. That lower overhead allegedly allows them to sell vehicles for less and undercut the dealerships that have full service depts.

So the dealers with full service depts. are mad at their competitor(s) and the customer gets stuck in the middle.

As I've mentioned, this obviously is not always the case, but a large number of people have experienced it.

I think it is partly dependent on where a person lives. A service mgr. at a dealership in a small town where word of mouth is powerful and a person's word still means something are much less likely to throw a tantrum and turn an owner away simply because they bought their vehicle somewhere else.

Dealerships in Urban/metro areas tend to be different. More shortsighted; more cut-throat; not as concerned about customer satisfaction because -- unlike a small town -- people move in and out of the area all the time, so there are always new customers.

Those are generalizations, but location does seem to make a difference.

mustangmech

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords!
Dear Granger, have you been receiving any BS that were built in the beginning of July? Any info would be great. Seams like shipping has passed us over.

OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Dear Granger, have you been receiving any BS that were built in the beginning of July? Any info would be great. Seams like shipping has passed us over.
If you have a specific VIN please email our team at [email protected] and we can check the status.

BroncoNomad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit
Wanted to throw another review about Granger Motors Ford experience. I'm just an internet-random person, fairly private/shy, who wanted a new car and didn't have any special hookups/connections but wanted to have a clean experience. I went to 5+ dealers in person (in good ole non-coastal cities/states where things should be "better") and two active orders fell through due to poor dealer experience. This is my experience with Granger Motors Ford in 2022:

I factory ordered a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands, all packages/fully loaded. One or two adjustments to build spec while waiting for it to be picked up. Out of state buyer, once it arrived I used a broker service to transport car. Pricing incentives at time of order helped attract this order, but emphasis at this point became hope for a "good" purchase experience.

What was ordered, arrived. The team was courteous and helpful. What was promised/advertised was delivered. The paperwork was all in line, the team was respectful and didn't try to push additional services other than offering them to see if they fit into your wants. Whatever paperwork needed to be wet-signed/snail-mailed got treated in expedited manner.

The final "score" actually gets bumped to A+, **exceeded standards, top shelf**. I initially declined financing through the dealer finance department but circumstances/timelines played out in a way where it would be faster for me than my out of state capability. The finance department was able to present a rate from Ford Credit that was significantly improved over the couple of Credit Union quotes I was seeing (as it happened, over 1%+ lower, with fed rate hikes coming in hard). I was fully expecting finance department at every dealership to be basically Satan. Granger Motors Ford finance team was able take a traditionally frustrating part of the dealer model, gracefully include their corporate provider, and the result was a lovely cherry on top of an ice cream sundae. All within about 5 minutes to present and wrapped up in what felt like under 30 minutes for finance portion.

- Ford manufacturer brand conquest: Check, came from JDM and German, anywhere between used/New/Lease.

- Ford Credit conquest: Check, came from credit union, other finance companies, cash. The finance department helped put another +1 into the Ford Credit column.

- Dealer ambassador-ed the manufacturer brand: Check, Granger Motors reputation enabled confidence in opening an order and followed through experience makes me feel "happier" about buying this particular brand. The experience I have purchasing a car reflects 100% on the manufacturer brand and Granger Motors helped capture a +1 to the Ford column.

- As advertised: Check, all the pricing, incentives, and details lined up with original order. About 75% of various brand dealers I personally visited were doing one form of ADM, unrequested upgrades, and bait and switch. Granger Motors followed through to the terms advertised and placed. As my personal income grows and I have more financial means, the As Advertised terms becomes more important than just price.

- One-Night Romp("F"), Marry, Kill: Granger Motors team in 2022 earned the "Marry" rating.

Nobody is perfect, and there is always risk for hiccups, but all things being equal the experience I had with Granger Motors was successful and positive.

--
Ps. For those wondering about the actual item, my take so far with the Bronco Sport Badlands is its in-line with online reviewer Doug Demuro score implies: It competes very favorably with current gen 4Runner for common person, any wins the 4Runner has I would increasingly attribute to increased cost (allowing for ventilated seats, larger body etc). For me its striking goldilocks zone as former owner of most recent 4Runner gen, and even doing some stuff better (headlights, mpg, etc) for better cost - the current gen 4Runner unfortunately is nearing dinosaur level of refresh (borderline being wiped out due to MPG + 2022 gas prices alone).

Pss. The car was about 15%+ "more awesome presence" in person than I expected, specifically vs what most photos sold. My own cellphone photos just don't sell accurate vibe of the car at all. For anyone who seen modern supra in photos vs real life, that was similarly drastically better in person. I was worried it would of been too much "CUV first, bronco-esque second" but in person this thing vibes hard as the "cool in their own (but recognized) way, younger-sibling-of Big Bronco". To be clear the Big Bronco is slightly bigger, modded w/ tires can even be too big for smaller road use, but photographs better no doubt. I'm not an instagram person, but I did want something that had "presence" in person and this vehicle has that stance/feel/vibe to it, in my opinion. This opinion also comes from driving a Rav4 (the CUV standard) for about 2 months as a rental: the presence + driving vibe in the Sport Badlands is not quite but nearly opposite ends feel of the same class.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Granger Ford

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Wanted to throw another review about Granger Motors Ford experience. I'm just an internet-random person, fairly private/shy, who wanted a new car and didn't have any special hookups/connections but wanted to have a clean experience. I went to 5+ dealers in person (in good ole non-coastal cities/states where things should be "better") and two active orders fell through due to poor dealer experience. This is my experience with Granger Motors Ford in 2022:

I factory ordered a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands, all packages/fully loaded. One or two adjustments to build spec while waiting for it to be picked up. Out of state buyer, once it arrived I used a broker service to transport car. Pricing incentives at time of order helped attract this order, but emphasis at this point became hope for a "good" purchase experience.

What was ordered, arrived. The team was courteous and helpful. What was promised/advertised was delivered. The paperwork was all in line, the team was respectful and didn't try to push additional services other than offering them to see if they fit into your wants. Whatever paperwork needed to be wet-signed/snail-mailed got treated in expedited manner.

The final "score" actually gets bumped to A+, **exceeded standards, top shelf**. I initially declined financing through the dealer finance department but circumstances/timelines played out in a way where it would be faster for me than my out of state capability. The finance department was able to present a rate from Ford Credit that was significantly improved over the couple of Credit Union quotes I was seeing (as it happened, over 1%+ lower, with fed rate hikes coming in hard). I was fully expecting finance department at every dealership to be basically Satan. Granger Motors Ford finance team was able take a traditionally frustrating part of the dealer model, gracefully include their corporate provider, and the result was a lovely cherry on top of an ice cream sundae. All within about 5 minutes to present and wrapped up in what felt like under 30 minutes for finance portion.

- Ford manufacturer brand conquest: Check, came from JDM and German, anywhere between used/New/Lease.

- Ford Credit conquest: Check, came from credit union, other finance companies, cash. The finance department helped put another +1 into the Ford Credit column.

- Dealer ambassador-ed the manufacturer brand: Check, Granger Motors reputation enabled confidence in opening an order and followed through experience makes me feel "happier" about buying this particular brand. The experience I have purchasing a car reflects 100% on the manufacturer brand and Granger Motors helped capture a +1 to the Ford column.

- As advertised: Check, all the pricing, incentives, and details lined up with original order. About 75% of various brand dealers I personally visited were doing one form of ADM, unrequested upgrades, and bait and switch. Granger Motors followed through to the terms advertised and placed. As my personal income grows and I have more financial means, the As Advertised terms becomes more important than just price.

- One-Night Romp("F"), Marry, Kill: Granger Motors team in 2022 earned the "Marry" rating.

Nobody is perfect, and there is always risk for hiccups, but all things being equal the experience I had with Granger Motors was successful and positive.

--
Ps. For those wondering about the actual item, my take so far with the Bronco Sport Badlands is its in-line with online reviewer Doug Demuro score implies: It competes very favorably with current gen 4Runner for common person, any wins the 4Runner has I would increasingly attribute to increased cost (allowing for ventilated seats, larger body etc). For me its striking goldilocks zone as former owner of most recent 4Runner gen, and even doing some stuff better (headlights, mpg, etc) for better cost - the current gen 4Runner unfortunately is nearing dinosaur level of refresh (borderline being wiped out due to MPG + 2022 gas prices alone).

Pss. The car was about 15%+ "more awesome presence" in person than I expected, specifically vs what most photos sold. My own cellphone photos just don't sell accurate vibe of the car at all. For anyone who seen modern supra in photos vs real life, that was similarly drastically better in person. I was worried it would of been too much "CUV first, bronco-esque second" but in person this thing vibes hard as the "cool in their own (but recognized) way, younger-sibling-of Big Bronco". To be clear the Big Bronco is slightly bigger, modded w/ tires can even be too big for smaller road use, but photographs better no doubt. I'm not an instagram person, but I did want something that had "presence" in person and this vehicle has that stance/feel/vibe to it, in my opinion. This opinion also comes from driving a Rav4 (the CUV standard) for about 2 months as a rental: the presence + driving vibe in the Sport Badlands is not quite but nearly opposite ends feel of the same class.
Thanks for the feedback and giving us the opportunity to earn your business!

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

--

It's important to give credit where credit is due.

Now, because Granger treated you right, they will sell more vehicles -- and make much more money than had they tried to burn you with the tricks so many dealers use.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
It's important to give credit where credit is due.

Now, because Granger treated you right, they will sell more vehicles -- and make much more money than had they tried to burn you with the tricks so many dealers use.
Yup. Everyone wins when they do the right thing.

Scottie137

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I just placed my order with Savannah at Granger. Couldn't have been simpler! I like that I can feel good about my deal and also not have to have spent 3 hours at a dealership doing the whole song and dance. 2023 Bronco Sport Badlands, Cactus Gray, fully loaded, Premium Package, Sunroof, 360, cargo management system, and tow package. I even look forward to flying up to Des Moines to drive it back down to Atlanta in the future!

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I just placed my order with Savannah at Granger. Couldn't have been simpler! I like that I can feel good about my deal and also not have to have spent 3 hours at a dealership doing the whole song and dance. 2023 Bronco Sport Badlands, Cactus Gray, fully loaded, Premium Package, Sunroof, 360, cargo management system, and tow package. I even look forward to flying up to Des Moines to drive it back down to Atlanta in the future!
You will be very well taken care of. I flew into Des Moines as well. Granger picked me up from the airport. Went through the vehicle and spent a short time with finance crossing the T's and dotting the I's and was on my way. I have a 2 door on order with Granger as well. That's how I ended up with the Sport, since it became clear that I wasn't going to get my 2 door anytime soon, I jumped on the 6% deal last year.

Scottie137

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You will be very well taken care of. I flew into Des Moines as well. Granger picked me up from the airport. Went through the vehicle and spent a short time with finance crossing the T's and dotting the I's and was on my way. I have a 2 door on order with Granger as well. That's how I ended up with the Sport, since it became clear that I wasn't going to get my 2 door anytime soon, I jumped on the 6% deal last year.
This is great to hear! I actually lived in Altoona outside of Des Moines for ahwile when I was a kid so kind of looking forward to going back and seeing how different it is!

Mr. Larry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Escape Sport Hybrid
Might call you when Ford decides to build the BS Hybrid - '24 or '25 I heard. Offer is great and the drive would be fun.

bjbena

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape SEL. EcoSport SES
Are they going to continue honoring the 6% under on 2023 Heritage models?
Sponsored