3rd Dealer Oil Change, Oil Pan Missing Threads.

SJC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Trend or Mechanic Error. Dropped my 2021 OB off at the dealer for "The Works Package" oil change. They called me 30 minutes later and said my oil pan was missing threads and had to order parts. They have been the only ones that have performed any service on the vehicle. At least they gave me a 2022 F-150 4x4 to use until parts came in. Long story short, they ended up replacing the oil pan under warranty.
I have not seen any other post for this type issue, but was just wondering if this was a common issue on the Bronco Sport. I normally do general maintenance myself, but I think I will keep taking my OB to the dealer for future Oil Changes so the responsibility is on them and not me if this happens again.
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I took my Mustang to the dealership for its first oil change. The tech left oily handprints all over the fenders and engine cover, spilled oil on the engine cover and the cowl, and didn't clean up the oil spilled on the frame from filter removal. I noticed the mess in the engine bay when I checked the oil after having it changed--always check the oil after an oil change, kids! I looked underneath to see oil dripping after I saw the mess in the engine bay. The service manager was indignant that I demanded they clean up the mess.

Since then, I do all my own oil changes in the wife's Escape and my Badlands. They both have the 2.0L engine, and I haven't had any issues with the drain plug. Then again, I use a torque wrench to reinstall the plug...

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
They called me 30 minutes later and said my oil pan was missing threads and had to order parts. They have been the only ones that have performed any service on the vehicle.
What do they mean by "missing threads"? A manufacturing defect in the threading would have been discovered on the first oil change. I'm betting that the mechanic stripped the threads at the last oil change when he got the plug cross-threaded.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
These days with everyone relying on air or electric tools to remove or install hardware, incidents like damaged threads happen's much more frequently.

Unfortunate that it happened, at least the dealer is stepping up.
Strange that the dealer is saying this is a warranty issue, unless there was really an observed defect.

Warpious

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.floracreekplace.com
Vehicle(s)
'08 Merc Mariner, 2012 Mustang (R.I.P), 2022 BS BL
Trend or Mechanic Error. Dropped my 2021 OB off at the dealer for "The Works Package" oil change. They called me 30 minutes later and said my oil pan was missing threads and had to order parts. They have been the only ones that have performed any service on the vehicle. At least they gave me a 2022 F-150 4x4 to use until parts came in. Long story short, they ended up replacing the oil pan under warranty.
I have not seen any other post for this type issue, but was just wondering if this was a common issue on the Bronco Sport. I normally do general maintenance myself, but I think I will keep taking my OB to the dealer for future Oil Changes so the responsibility is on them and not me if this happens again.
I swear I saw something the other day in a FB group or something where someone went to pick up there BS from the dealer but couldn't due to a limited recall due to bad threading on the oil pan. I think it was only a day or two's worth of production and this was recent within the last couple of weeks. I didn't pay it too much attention since it didn't affect me so I may be getting the details wrong and I cant find anything about it now, but seeing your post made me remember that.

Broncosprt57

Badlands
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS badlands
Possibility of a poorly threaded oil pan, unlikely but not impossible.

possibility of a shop mechanic trying to bang out a bunch of “works” (check all the boxes and just change the oil) and over-torquing because they know the “feel”. Very Likely.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Sounds like dealer took responsibility and made it right. Sounds like a good dealer to me.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
If you are doing your own oil changes, I would recommend the Fumoto oil drain valve. The threads can’t be stripped if you never have to remove the plug.

Fumoto F107SX M12-1.75 Sx Series Drain Valve
The only thing I would add to this is you CAN strip the threads if install this thing with a crescent wrench! Ford specifies 20 ft/lbs torque for the drain plug--you should use the same to install this device.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I took my Mustang to the dealership for its first oil change. The tech left oily handprints all over the fenders and engine cover, spilled oil on the engine cover and the cowl, and didn't clean up the oil spilled on the frame from filter removal. I noticed the mess in the engine bay when I checked the oil after having it changed--always check the oil after an oil change, kids! I looked underneath to see oil dripping after I saw the mess in the engine bay. The service manager was indignant that I demanded they clean up the mess.

Since then, I do all my own oil changes in the wife's Escape and my Badlands. They both have the 2.0L engine, and I haven't had any issues with the drain plug. Then again, I use a torque wrench to reinstall the plug...
I'm 78 and still do all my own oil changes. That way I know it's done right. I also use Mobil 1 full synthetic which the dealer doesn't carry.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
OP
OP
SJC

SJC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
What do they mean by "missing threads"? A manufacturing defect in the threading would have been discovered on the first oil change. I'm betting that the mechanic stripped the threads at the last oil change when he got the plug cross-threaded.
Agree, I think this was a one off, human error on last oil change. Not a production issue.

mtford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150, '23 Bronco Sport Heritage
Saw a video on either a forum or Facebook or TikTok, but it was a Bronco Sport, the 'fitting' for the oil drain, which has internal threads for the plug was MIA. The photos showed that part inside the oil pan, apparently the threaded fitting is just spot welded to the pan and came loose. Suspect an impact wrench or air wrench was used to tighten the plug at some other change , and that fractured the plug fitting. They had to replace with a new pan!

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Saw a video on either a forum or Facebook or TikTok, but it was a Bronco Sport, the 'fitting' for the oil drain, which has internal threads for the plug was MIA. The photos showed that part inside the oil pan, apparently the threaded fitting is just spot welded to the pan and came loose. Suspect an impact wrench or air wrench was used to tighten the plug at some other change , and that fractured the plug fitting. They had to replace with a new pan!
Since this has to be a sealed connection, it would be odd if it were only spot welded. Maybe it is friction welded? That would make more sense.

Neigh.whinny

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I myself was a fool, and went to the mechanic I’ve been using for a decade for oil changes at first. I’m not used to having a new car and didn’t even consider that an oil change could go wrong. Needless to say, I had to pay for a new oil pan that was broken during a routine oil change. Very experienced mechanic, but had I’ve been in a Ford dealership I would not have had to pay. Went to the Ford dealership afterwards with the oil pan and they laughed in my face when I asked for reimbursement. I am interested to see if this is a repeat problem or truly just human error, I am more likely to think the first.
Sponsored