thor52879

Badlands
First Name
Thor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Badlands (Badlands package)
My biggest fear is that when I’m driving through 1-3 feet of snow, is the lack of any wheel well going to cause problems or damage to the trim/fender?
Sponsored

RogueRodney

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport Badlands Atlas Blue Metallic
Delm / Team:

If I'm right, this looks like the wheel Delm is running on:
https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/fuel-off-road-zephyr-d633-wheel-17x8-5-with-5-on-4-25-bolt-pattern-matte-black-d63317853357/_/R-DLDJ-D63317853357?ppcfon=1&gp=1&ecmp=s:google_18142422611___&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC Shopping - Price & Leaders - Performance Max&gclid=Cj0KCQiArsefBhCbARIsAP98hXTO4DIAnfODTCwyLzNrUYnfH5kCA9zeRAGQkI4bDS_NDOYFw6R_3KEaAhdoEALw_wcB

I confess it looks gorgeous on Delm's ride.

I do see that the tires are significantly heavier than the 235/65/R17's I'm looking at and I would think the rim is too (just from the looks of it, couldn't find specs to support that).

Note: That isn't questioning or throwing shade at Delm's decision at all, that is a bad (as in good) machine and I do love it.

I'm interested in learning in this space and would like thoughts on what that means in terms of safety, maintenance, life expectancy, etc.

I started playing with options in this space (still haven't introduced my ride, the rock rail failure to install set me back abit, but hope to in the next few weeks). I have the bolt on fender flares and don't think I can do what Delm did and get anywhere near the same look. I have 1" spacers now and am going to try 2" but am thinking I need to stay with the 235/65/17 (I think I like the look of the Toyo's in this space the most if I want to do that, wondering if I should have stopped at 1.5" (thoughts appreciated).

Much thanks for everyone's input, and Delm to stress: Your ride looks damn good.

RR

Idahobro

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mache GT, F350
Delm / Team:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/fuel-off-road-zephyr-d633-wheel-17x8-5-with-5-on-4-25-bolt-pattern-matte-black-d63317853357/_/R-DLDJ-D63317853357?ppcfon=1&gp=1&ecmp=s:google_18142422611___&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SC Shopping - Price & Leaders - Performance Max&gclid=Cj0KCQiArsefBhCbARIsAP98hXTO4DIAnfODTCwyLzNrUYnfH5kCA9zeRAGQkI4bDS_NDOYFw6R_3KEaAhdoEALw_wcB

I do see that the tires are significantly heavier than the 235/65/R17's I'm looking at and I would think the rim is too (just from the looks of it, couldn't find specs to support that).

Note: That isn't questioning or throwing shade at Delm's decision at all, that is a bad (as in good) machine and I do love it.

I'm interested in learning in this space and would like thoughts on what that means in terms of safety, maintenance, life expectancy, etc.

I started playing with options in this space (still haven't introduced my ride, the rock rail failure to install set me back abit, but hope to in the next few weeks). I have the bolt on fender flares and don't think I can do what Delm did and get anywhere near the same look. I have 1" spacers now and am going to try 2" but am thinking I need to stay with the 235/65/17 (I think I like the look of the Toyo's in this space the most if I want to do that, wondering if I should have stopped at 1.5" (thoughts appreciated).

Much thanks for everyone's input, and Delm to stress: Your ride looks damn good.

RR
Ah, the question that's been plaguing man since the beginning of time. Do I look as badass as possible, or do I worry about performance and fuel mileage. This is a super personal question and answer. I already have a truck that gets 13 mpg in the city, so the BS OBX I have on order is really for a better DD and for getting around the tight trails at our lake house looking for fishing holes and climbing spots (at least until my daughter claims it in 18 months). I really, really love the look of @delm 's rig. It is probably the coolest looking BS on here IMHO. That said, I just couldn't justify the mileage hit , which is why I did not buy a full sized Bronco, or a BS BL for that matter. Although money is not really an issue here for me, I just feel a bit guilty burning 13 mpg at $5 a gallon for my diesel truck.

Good luck and please share what you end up doing.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Adding unsprung weight—weight that isn't supported by the springs—has many negative implications. The more weight you add the greater the effects. More weight requires more power to spin up, thus you lose acceleration. More weight makes it harder for the dampers (shock absorbers) to keep the tire in contact with the road when you hit a bump, and when the tire doesn't have good contact with the road you lose traction, thus your braking and cornering performance at highway speeds (where bumps impart more momentum to the unsprung weight) may suffer. More weight negatively affects how the spring and shock respond to bumps in the road, thus your ride quality may suffer. More weight means all your suspension components will experience greater stress, which will almost certainly affect service life.

Keep in mind, however, the adverse effects are relative to the increase in unsprung weight. They are also relative to how much you value the affected performance factors. For example, if you're not sensitive to ride quality you may not really care that you hear and feel road imperfections more than with OEM tires/wheels.

Last edited:

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
That is one nice looking ride. Would you adopt me? My birthday is in November.

Ride smoothness goes up with the aspect ratio. On rocky roads the tire width also helps a lot. My friend just put 18" wheels on his GMC 1/2 ton, and I couldn't believe how rough it was compared to his old truck with 15" wheels. That extra rubber weighs more, but it cushions more as well. When I put a 1-1/2" lift on my Jeep Liberty they told me BFG KO2s would ride too rough, so they put cheaper tires on. When they wore out, I went with the KO2s. It made my Jeep into an awesome off-road capable vehicle. It did cost fuel mileage, but it was worth it to me. It had 16" wheels, and I wish the Badlands did too. I'm looking to get some tires with 75 aspect ratio, once I get my lift.

OP
OP
delm

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
Delm / Team:

RR
i definitely didn’t take anything you’ve said as “shade!” Appreciate the comments and where you are coming from. And even if you had actually thrown shade, I still wouldn’t have taken offense. This Bronco Sport came out exactly how I’d hoped it would. I’m really happy with it and I totally understand that it’s not for everyone. Not everyone will like what I’ve done and to that I say, “Thank God.” Would be pretty darn boring around here if we all thought the same and had the same likes and dislikes.
No doubt I’ve added weight in tires and wheels. And while I’m sure I’ve taken a hit in mpg, I don’t know that any decrease in acceleration and power is even noticeable without a stop watch.

it does ride differently, but different in a good way for what I was looking for. These are very different tires than what came from the factory. This Bronco Sport has a decidedly truck-like feel.And bigger tires like this will always generate more road noise than the OEM tires.

I’m pretty confident I’ve gone about as far as one can go in lift and tires without requiring structural changes I wouldn’t want to do. The good news is that there is a long spectrum from stock from the factory and mine. Many varying options for anybody to land on the modifications they like.

tonypnw

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BS Badlands
@delm you mention in your OP you had to trim some plastic but did not cut metal.

Can you specify what you cut? Pics?

there was some trimming of plastic. No cutting into metal at all.

OP
OP
delm

delm

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BS Badlands; '23 BS Badlands; BMW X3, X7
@delm you mention in your OP you had to trim some plastic but did not cut metal.

Can you specify what you cut? Pics?
This is in my front passenger tire. You can see the cut here. There is a matching cut on the driver's side. You have to get down low and look up to see it. Have a similar, smaller cut in the plastic directly behind the tire.
Ford Bronco Sport 255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there.... Lift7

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
My little project did not go as plug-and-play as I'd hoped, but it was pretty darn close.

I had good reason to believe that with the right lift, and with the right off-set wheels, that we could, indeed, fit 255/70/17 wheels onto the Bronco Sport (Badlands), despite the conventional wisdom here on this forum.

Specifically, conventional wisdom holds that this tire is too large to get to work without cutting metal, and more specifically, without cutting into the pinch weld of the vehicle, which would be dangerous and foolish to do.

I can definitively state that this is not the case.

Conventional wisdom also claims that this size tire would be far to heavy for the BS. I can also definitively state that this is not the case...at least for the Badlands. I probably wouldn't go there with the 1.5L engine.

Like I said - this was not completely plug and play.

So how did I get here?

I went with the fordrangerlifts.com 1.75" lift kit specifically marketed for the Badlands & First Edition.

I then went with the Fuel Zephyr wheels with 25mm offsets.

Finally, there was some trimming of plastic. No cutting into metal at all.

The ride is awesome. Plenty of power, and I love the elevated view. I've got some Air Design fender flairs enroute to finish up the look.

Here are the "Before" and "After" pics:

Ford Bronco Sport 255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there.... Lift0

Ford Bronco Sport 255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there.... Lift3

Ford Bronco Sport 255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there.... Lift2

Ford Bronco Sport 255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there.... Lift8

A couple more pictures of the wheel wells:

Front:
Ford Bronco Sport 255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there.... lift5-

Back:
Ford Bronco Sport 255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there.... lift6-

Ford Bronco Sport 255/70/R17 Tires can fit, if you're willing to go there.... lift10-
Very good looking nice job , I have 245/70R17 and this will be my next mission 👌

Reactions: Jrl

Rolanik

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
You mentioned the 17" with 25 offset on your Fuel Zephyr wheels but what is your wheel width? Hard to do fitment assessments without knowing the width along with offset. Thanks!
Has anyone tried KM3 245/“70”/17s on a stock BSBL? If so, do the rub the pinch weld with tires turn slightly? Or during braking?

Rolanik

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
My BSBL has the RTR 1.3” lift…
Delm, are 25mm offset wheels required to install KM3s, or will the stock BSBL 17s at 38mm offset work without rubbing the pinch seam? Also, have KM3s 245/70/17s

Bpzilko

First Edition
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Man this looks great! I ordered the same lift and have been debating tires. I love the stock wheels on my first edition and want to keep them, but those Fuel wheels look amazing. Think I could achieve the same set up with a 1 inch spacer to keep the stock wheels?
Sponsored