millern64

Heritage
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I purchased the Heritage vehicle at the end of July 2023 for my daughter. It was her reward for all the hard work of getting into a great college. After only 4 months the engine started making a ticking sound. I told my daughter to not drive it and I brought her my car. When I got to her school I immediately called the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and they gave me an appointment a month away and told me they can't get me in any earlier unless the check engine light comes on and is blinking. The very next day the car surged on the highway and the check engine light came on and I could smell oil. It lost most of its power and would rev to 6,000 and drop to 4,000 before jumping back up. I called the dealership and they again said if the light isn't blinking then I could just drive it to them and they could try to listen to it. I creeped my way home as the dealership was too far and I knew I couldn't make it. By the time I got home I lost the navigation screen display and it couldn't make it up my driveway. I called the dealership again and told them they needed to come get it. They sent a tow truck and 2 days later said the engine needed to be replaced. 3 weeks later they had it replaced and said it will be ready on Monday. Monday comes and no word from them so I sent a text to the technician and was told they started it and it blew out black smoke that covered their parking lot and they determined that oil got into the turbos and those needed to be replaced. Ford Customer Care and the person who called herself my advocate have been non-responsive. I have tried getting the dealership manager to call me with no luck. I have owned 4 F150's and never had an issue. This vehicle is a lemon and when it is finally repaired, they think I should take it back. I hate to think what would have happened if it failed on my daughter on the highway. Luckily we moved to be within an hour and I was able to get the car. I don't trust that replacing the engine and turbos will be the final fix. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a manager at Ford Customer Care to speak with me and if I can really trust this vehicle going forward? Also, how does having a new engine change warranty? Should they provide me a new warranty start date at least on the engine due to a new engine being installed?
Sponsored

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Wow that's quite the story.

How long has the dealer had the car? In Florida, the lemon law is at least three attempts by the dealer to fix the problem and it still not working, or the car being in the dealer shop for one or more problems for 15+ days trying to fix one or more problems. Florida's lemon law requires you to give written notice to the manufacturer (not the dealer) by certified, registered, or express mail.

I would pay the ~$25 to Express Mail Ford Motor Company in Dearborn with a lemon law claim. A four month car having complete engine failure and no response by Ford is absolutely embarassing. Putting Ford on notice via a lemon law letter will put the pressure on them to get your daughter's car fixed as quickly as possible.

If the vehicle is in and out of the authorized repair shop for repair of one or more different problems for 15 or more cumulative days, the consumer must give written notification of this fact to the manufacturer (not the dealer), by certified, registered or express mail. Check the warranty book or owner’s manual or other written manufacturer supplement for the address given by the manufacturer. A Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form may used for this purpose. Click here for the Instructions and Motor Vehicle Defect Notification form. After the manufacturer’s receipt of the notification, the manufacturer or its authorized service agent must have at least one opportunity to inspect or repair the vehicle.The consumer may be eligible for a purchase price refund or a replacement vehicle if the vehicle is out of service for repair of one or more nonconformities for a cumulative total of 30 or more days.

In general, in-warranty repairs will not extend the duration of your warranty.

OP
OP

millern64

Heritage
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Thank you for your reply! It has been in the shop since November 29th. I just got a text from the tech in the last 15 minutes that now says the vehicle is completed and I can go pick it up. Since it has been over 15 days and had engine and turbo failure, I will take your advice and write that letter and express it to them.

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Thank you for your reply! It has been in the shop since November 29th. I just got a text from the tech in the last 15 minutes that now says the vehicle is completed and I can go pick it up. Since it has been over 15 days and had engine and turbo failure, I will take your advice and write that letter and express it to them.
The manufacturer has to be given at least one chance to fix your vehicle after you write that letter, so that window may have passed. You may want to check additional resources to see if it was an >30 day if you may be eligible to lemon the car anyways.

If not - hopefully the dealer repair was comprehensive. A complete engine failure + replacement of the turbo is a tremendous amount of work.

OP
OP

millern64

Heritage
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Would you know if the trade in value is reduced due to an engine replacement and if I do file a lemon complaint with Ford and the state will that go into CarFax or on some site that will flag is as a salvage vehicle?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Would you know if the trade in value is reduced due to an engine replacement and if I do file a lemon complaint with Ford and the state will that go into CarFax or on some site that will flag is as a salvage vehicle?
Your best bet regarding Lemon Law claims is to consult with a local attorney specializing in that area. Google is your friend here. If you decide to keep the car, an engine replacement should not affect resale value--assuming no other issues crop up that can be related to the engine replacement.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
Your best bet regarding Lemon Law claims is to consult with a local attorney specializing in that area. Google is your friend here. If you decide to keep the car, an engine replacement should not affect resale value--assuming no other issues crop up that can be related to the engine replacement.
Mark if I see a Carfax note of an engine replacement on a vehicle, I wouldn't walk away from it....I'd run.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I purchased the Heritage vehicle at the end of July 2023 for my daughter. It was her reward for all the hard work of getting into a great college. After only 4 months the engine started making a ticking sound. I told my daughter to not drive it and I brought her my car. When I got to her school I immediately called the dealership where I purchased the vehicle and they gave me an appointment a month away and told me they can't get me in any earlier unless the check engine light comes on and is blinking. The very next day the car surged on the highway and the check engine light came on and I could smell oil. It lost most of its power and would rev to 6,000 and drop to 4,000 before jumping back up. I called the dealership and they again said if the light isn't blinking then I could just drive it to them and they could try to listen to it. I creeped my way home as the dealership was too far and I knew I couldn't make it. By the time I got home I lost the navigation screen display and it couldn't make it up my driveway. I called the dealership again and told them they needed to come get it. They sent a tow truck and 2 days later said the engine needed to be replaced. 3 weeks later they had it replaced and said it will be ready on Monday. Monday comes and no word from them so I sent a text to the technician and was told they started it and it blew out black smoke that covered their parking lot and they determined that oil got into the turbos and those needed to be replaced. Ford Customer Care and the person who called herself my advocate have been non-responsive. I have tried getting the dealership manager to call me with no luck. I have owned 4 F150's and never had an issue. This vehicle is a lemon and when it is finally repaired, they think I should take it back. I hate to think what would have happened if it failed on my daughter on the highway. Luckily we moved to be within an hour and I was able to get the car. I don't trust that replacing the engine and turbos will be the final fix. Does anyone have any advice on how to get a manager at Ford Customer Care to speak with me and if I can really trust this vehicle going forward? Also, how does having a new engine change warranty? Should they provide me a new warranty start date at least on the engine due to a new engine being installed?
For peace of mind, my daughter would be in a Honda or Toyota after an experience with that Bronco Sport but that's me.

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
I'd also be worried about the catalytic converter(s) if a bunch of stuff went through it (them). Luckily, those are fairly well covered by warranty. Cheers!

RS1

Big Bend
First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
6 hours and no input from the Fordbot. Haha.
Sucks but if the motor and other parts get replaced properly then I think it’s ok to drive. I had the dealer forget to put oil in after an oil change. They took full responsibility and replaced a 100,000 mile motor (escape)with new and she’s still going currently 150k+ on it. A lot different than a new car pooping the bed but done right at least Ford remedies the problem.

OP
OP

millern64

Heritage
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
Good point! Thank you

OP
OP

millern64

Heritage
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
I'd also be worried about the catalytic converter(s) if a bunch of stuff went through it (them). Luckily, those are fairly well covered by warranty. Cheers!
Thank you on that feedback. I have checked online about the possibility of the oil getting into the catalytic converter and it sounds like that is a very good possibility since it did get into the Turbos. I will bring that up with the dealership and ask them to provide me any data they have to show that the oil did not get into it (them).

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Mark if I see a Carfax note of an engine replacement on a vehicle, I wouldn't walk away from it....I'd run.
Depends on the circumstances. A warranty replacement after a couple thousand miles indicates a manufacturing defect rather than abuse. And if the car is driven for several thousand miles after with no further engine-related claims you can be fairly confident the work was done properly. But yeah, engine replacement after 25K along with a bunch of other warranty work? That's the hallmark of a pony that's been rode hard and put away wet...

OP
OP

millern64

Heritage
First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport
6 hours and no input from the Fordbot. Haha.
Sucks but if the motor and other parts get replaced properly then I think it’s ok to drive. I had the dealer forget to put oil in after an oil change. They took full responsibility and replaced a 100,000 mile motor (escape)with new and she’s still going currently 150k+ on it. A lot different than a new car pooping the bed but done right at least Ford remedies the problem.
Our biggest concern is that this is an indication that there are issues with the 1.5L similar to the issues they have with the Bronco 2.5L. If this is the case, we are worried our daughter could find herself stranded on a highway with the new engine. I'm also now concerned the oil made it into the catalytic converter and they wouldn't know or tell me if it did. I have been trying for 3 weeks to work with Ford Customer Care and to talk to a manager at the dealership with no lock. I can't get either one to call me or talk to me or allow me to speak with a manager. There is definitely a well-oiled machine within Ford to that is built to prevent customers from getting help with issues like this.
Sponsored