Gadget

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I have only 1150 miles on my Bronco Sport Badlands.
Last week I parked in the garage & the vehicle auto stopped as it typically does. As I twisted the dial out of Drive to shift into park, the car restarted and the transmission made a horrible "CLUNK" noise. Now it seems to me the tyranny is making a buzzing noise in low gears as I drive under 30mph.
Today as I was coming home, I was in ECO mode, going about 25 to 30mph on a residential street. Suddenly the engine revs up to over 4k rpm really quickly. All I could think to do was throw it in Neutral before realizing it wasn't necessary as it wasn't making the car move faster. It's like the tranny was disengaged as the car revved up. My foot was completely off the gas and my floormat was safely in place. My wife and I were surprised and were like "what the heck?"
As the car was in Neutral @ 4k rpm, after about 5 seconds the engine returned to normal rpm. I then switch the drive mode back no Normal thinking it might be ECO related.
I'm going to call Ford in the morning.
Anyone experience sudden engine speed increase?
Sponsored

RiotfunK

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands
Nope but haven’t used sport mode since the first and last time I used it. My dash turned into a Christmas tree and left me stranded. Hope you get yours figured out. Also fwiw, I have three friends that we wheel with who bought big broncos. Only one still has theirs. They had tons of issues and traded for a gladiator Rubi and a JL Rubicon. They’re much happier. I’d rather have my sport badlands than a big bronco.

Last edited:

fsjdw2

Badlands
First Name
Jerrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 5.0 GT convertible, 2022BS BL(pending)
so you were driving engine revved to 4k and yet vehicle didn't move faster? that means your transmission isnt linked to your engine, that isnt supposed to happen when you are in gear. Why i don't know, but id definitly call dealer as that sort of decoupling isnt supposed to happen unless you are out of gear.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
I have only 1150 miles on my Bronco Sport Badlands.
Last week I parked in the garage & the vehicle auto stopped as it typically does. As I twisted the dial out of Drive to shift into park, the car restarted and the transmission made a horrible "CLUNK" noise. Now it seems to me the tyranny is making a buzzing noise in low gears as I drive under 30mph.
Today as I was coming home, I was in ECO mode, going about 25 to 30mph on a residential street. Suddenly the engine revs up to over 4k rpm really quickly. All I could think to do was throw it in Neutral before realizing it wasn't necessary as it wasn't making the car move faster. It's like the tranny was disengaged as the car revved up. My foot was completely off the gas and my floormat was safely in place. My wife and I were surprised and were like "what the heck?"
As the car was in Neutral @ 4k rpm, after about 5 seconds the engine returned to normal rpm. I then switch the drive mode back no Normal thinking it might be ECO related.
I'm going to call Ford in the morning.
Anyone experience sudden engine speed increase?
Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s engine concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info?

OP
OP
Gadget

Gadget

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Yes, thanks, I'll send that to you.
I did get a scheduled appointment with my local Ford dealer on the 23rd. They squeezed me in due to the nature of the problem.

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
I have to ask were you in sport mode? It will rev match and hold revs longer if in sport mode.

TakeTheBlack

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2020 Mazda CX-9
I hit the push button to start the (1.5L) engine and, in park, the RPM ran into 4K territory. Shut it down. Tried second time and did same. Now afraid to drive.

Wonder if an engine diagnosis tool will give some info.
I will admit rotating the goat mode dial a lot on a recent trip. I kept “over shooting” the sport mode. It’s just a rubber band CVT transmission right? I figure idiot proof.

Will contact Ford contact here.

OP
OP
Gadget

Gadget

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Thank you for also reporting your issue. This reminded me that I need to post an update.
Ford took my car all day and did not find any issues. I am up to 4300 miles now without further trouble. I did notice that bouncing around the dial can cause the RPMs to bounce too. My problem came while remaining in ECO mode.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition

TakeTheBlack

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2020 Mazda CX-9
Thank you for also reporting your issue. This reminded me that I need to post an update.
Ford took my car all day and did not find any issues. I am up to 4300 miles now without further trouble. I did notice that bouncing around the dial can cause the RPMs to bounce too. My problem came while remaining in ECO mode.
Not what anyone wants to hear (classic shrug “we cannot reproduce the issue”
I was parked in the garage.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I hit the push button to start the (1.5L) engine and, in park, the RPM ran into 4K territory. Shut it down. Tried second time and did same. Now afraid to drive.
Wonder if an engine diagnosis tool will give some info.
I will admit rotating the goat mode dial a lot on a recent trip. I kept “over shooting” the sport mode. It’s just a rubber band CVT transmission right? I figure idiot proof.

Will contact Ford contact here.
NOPE, if our BS’s were CVT equipped 90% of us would not have purchased one.
I would not have even test drove it.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Escape and Maverick hybrids are the CVT.
I think your wrong on both counts.
The two models you mentioned have 8 speed transmissions just like our BS’s
I think, thunk, thought.
Sponsored