Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Taking the little Bucker up to Yellowstone, stopped north of Denver for the night. From DFW to Amarillo got right about 23.1 doing mostly 78-80. From Amarillo to Denver I got 29.1 doing about the same speeds. Did switch to 88 vs 87 octane as regular up here is only 85 but I don't think that would account for the difference. I noticed a similar difference in mpg last time I was up in elevation over memorial day as well. Just something I figured I'd point out here to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing.
Yup, it's the elevation. Dallas to Amarillo is a slow climb from 500 ft to 3600 ft, but you're in the thicker air nearer sea level for the majority of the trip. From Amarillo to Denver is also a slow climb, but you're in thinner air farther away from sea level. Thinner air means less drag. Less drag means better fuel mileage.
Sponsored

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Yup, it's the elevation. Dallas to Amarillo is a slow climb from 500 ft to 3600 ft, but you're in the thicker air nearer sea level for the majority of the trip. From Amarillo to Denver is also a slow climb, but you're in thinner air farther away from sea level. Thinner air means less drag. Less drag means better fuel mileage.
Plus all that damn wind in the panhandle. That can't help.

LastBronco

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
You better get that thing looked at. Mine will run away going down hill and rolls forever on level ground.
I think my 26 mpg average is great considering I’m in the Appalachian mountains. I’m always pulling up some hill or going around a switch back.
No boat anchor here.
Did you make a poor choice for economy in tires ?
Tires are stock Michelin Primacy A/S
You better get that thing looked at. Mine will run away going down hill and rolls forever on level ground.
I think my 26 mpg average is great considering I’m in the Appalachian mountains. I’m always pulling up some hill or going around a switch back.
No boat anchor here.
Tires stock Miche
No boat anchor here.
stock tire Michelin Primacy A/S 225/60/18 33 lbs

Jumbo1953

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
...yeah, I'm getting around 21-22/mpg in my First Edition in every day driving. I did get as high as 26 when I went on interstate for vacation but haven't seen anything close to that since...I' also don't use the STOP/START switch and wish FORD had a way of permanently shutting this thing off like my BMW X3 had. It's a pain in my butt and I am sure over time this constant starting and stopping will cause other issues. Those folks saying they are getting 28-30/mpg---I'm calling BullShit...
My 28 mpg on our trip was mostly running 60-80 mph on the highways with very few hills. Ordinarily I get 23-24 mpg with city/highway driving. I normally drive 4-5 mph over the speed limit wherever I am. Likewise I despise the stop/start feature and turn it off before leaving.

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
Just finished a ~2500 mile journey across the Rockies, elevation 1500ft-7400ft, including 80mph interstate. Have a 2.0L first edition with suspension lift and 235/70r17 tires. On the computer, reads over 27mpg for the whole trip, spot checked a few times at the pump and it is pretty close. Im happy :D

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Sunday I took my full tank on some forest service roads (slow going with epic potholes, washboard, etc.) then out to the coast for a little fun on the beach. Total distance was about 330 miles with most of it highway (ish...Hwy 101 is quite curvy around the Hood Canal.) Overall mpg was 27.

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
Just finished a ~2500 mile journey across the Rockies, elevation 1500ft-7400ft, including 80mph interstate. Have a 2.0L first edition with suspension lift and 235/70r17 tires. On the computer, reads over 27mpg for the whole trip, spot checked a few times at the pump and it is pretty close. Im happy :D
Your lift that you have ,is it the lift that came with your first edition . I also have a first edition and was wanting to go with 235/70/17 would you advise or not ? Thanks

Ford Bronco Sport 2.0L MPG Fuel Mileage 714C5109-36F6-4188-AA49-5FA5AE10439B

endrMinr

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
Your lift that you have ,is it the lift that came with your first edition . I also have a first edition and was wanting to go with 235/70/17 would you advise or not ? Thanks
It is another inch over factory, from Ford Bronco Lifts. As said elsewhere, its not the height but the wheel well width that limits tire size. A 235/70 will really depend on how square the shoulder is on the tread, because it is that close to rubbing when turning. Since the well liner is felt, rubbing really wont harm anything though. A lot have done 245/65 with no problems, which is wider but slightly smaller diameter.

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
UPDATE... Badlands now at 7200 miles running Premium fuel... mostly very conservative driving in normal mode... averaging 24.5 mpg.

100DB

Big Bend
First Name
Rocuo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
UPDATE... Badlands now at 7200 miles running Premium fuel... mostly very conservative driving in normal mode... averaging 24.5 mpg.
What is an average cost of your Premium fuel per mile then? I am planning to buy some Premium too but have doubts tbh.

Outback Texan

Badlands
First Name
MIke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
What is an average cost of your Premium fuel per mile then? I am planning to buy some Premium too but have doubts tbh.
...about 14 cents per mile.

100DB

Big Bend
First Name
Rocuo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
...about 14 cents per mile.
That is insane to be honest...

I guess I will download an app in order to keep track of car expenses as my dad advised. The cost of fuel is raising everyday and I feel anger on the whole situation that is happening nowadays. Sadly, I cannot change anything...

Thank you for your answer, pal

SgtT11B

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL, 2020 Ford Mustang GT
My BL with the WildPeaks I am averaging 20.7mpg. This is based on my calculation not the computer on the vehicle. That is showing 21.2mpg.

Reactions: Jrl

Jrl

First Edition
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln and escape and first edition cactus gray
My BL with the WildPeaks I am averaging 20.7mpg. This is based on my calculation not the computer on the vehicle. That is showing 21.2mpg.
Mine is 27.7 road 18.3 city . Not bad

Ford Bronco Sport 2.0L MPG Fuel Mileage 569280CD-DA97-4416-AEC2-C6C1BC3331E8
Sponsored

Reactions: Wyo