Outer Banks vs. Badlands

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew
New to the forum and curious about the 1.5L turbo. I've had the 2.0L in a 2017 Escape and know that it is more than adequate power for a Bronco Sport. I'm interested in feedback from 1.5L owners about their experiences. I am leaning toward an Outer Banks with 235s on factory wheels. I don't do any off-roading. I just like the looks of the Sport as it reminds me of my 2012 Escape and want 4WD for occasional snowy conditions here in STL.
Sponsored

SportWest

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport Badlands
I'm interested in feedback from 1.5L owners about their experiences.
My Big Bend has the 1.5L and optional 18'' wheels so it drives similar to an OB.

The 1.5L won't blow you away but it's more capable than you'd think. The only time I 'notice' that I have a 1.5L, 3-cylinder engine is when going uphill, otherwise the turbo + torque let me merge and pass just fine.

MPG is 29 combined at ~1,500 miles on the odometer. If fuel economy is important, look at an AWD Escape hybrid because even with a 1.5L, you're up against this thing having the aerodynamics of a brick.

OBKriss

Outer Banks
First Name
Kriss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport/2000 BMW Z3
New to the forum and curious about the 1.5L turbo. I've had the 2.0L in a 2017 Escape and know that it is more than adequate power for a Bronco Sport. I'm interested in feedback from 1.5L owners about their experiences. I am leaning toward an Outer Banks with 235s on factory wheels. I don't do any off-roading. I just like the looks of the Sport as it reminds me of my 2012 Escape and want 4WD for occasional snowy conditions here in STL.
I have an Outer Banks with the 1.5L engine and 18" wheels and I really don't notice a difference driving on the Houston freeways or regular streets. I did drive it in Sport Mode a few days last week, just to see, and it was like a whole different driving experience. I don't have a lead foot or anything, but it took off pretty fast at the traffic lights, it accelerated fast on the freeway, and didn't mess too much with my mpg's (I average 30mpg 50/50 split between freeway and regular streets with lots of traffic lights )and I am happy with that.

I looked at a Badlands at the dealer, but I don't do any off-roading, and I really like the interior of the OB.

OP
OP
Heart2

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an Outer Banks with the 1.5L engine and 18" wheels and I really don't notice a difference driving on the Houston freeways or regular streets. I did drive it in Sport Mode a few days last week, just to see, and it was like a whole different driving experience. I don't have a lead foot or anything, but it took off pretty fast at the traffic lights, it accelerated fast on the freeway, and didn't mess too much with my mpg's (I average 30mpg 50/50 split between freeway and regular streets with lots of traffic lights )and I am happy with that.

I looked at a Badlands at the dealer, but I don't do any off-roading, and I really like the interior of the OB.
Thanks for the reply. I also like the interior choices in the OB better than the BL...

OP
OP
Heart2

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Big Bend has the 1.5L and optional 18'' wheels so it drives similar to an OB.

The 1.5L won't blow you away but it's more capable than you'd think. The only time I 'notice' that I have a 1.5L, 3-cylinder engine is when going uphill, otherwise the turbo + torque let me merge and pass just fine.

MPG is 29 combined at ~1,500 miles on the odometer. If fuel economy is important, look at an AWD Escape hybrid because even with a 1.5L, you're up against this thing having the aerodynamics of a brick.
Thanks for the reply. That's really good mpg...

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4

Yeah uphill is a bit tricky, you need to play with acceleration or go sport mode to pass faster.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I've had my badlands for a week. I was told I'd see a big difference in the 2.0 but honestly I haven't seen it yet. I have 1000 miles on it, drove 5 hours each way to the Mackinaw Bridge. I am averaging 24mpg and I've run in eco mode 99% of the time. I have a 2 mile drive to work. I used cruise at 78 mph,. A couple times I grew tired of sloppy driving and hit 92+ without noticing other than blowing by a few slowpokes. I think in the end the badlands when broken in will do more than I need. It rides great, I also think an outer banks or big bend would have been perfectly fine.

OP
OP
Heart2

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had my badlands for a week. I was told I'd see a big difference in the 2.0 but honestly I haven't seen it yet. I have 1000 miles on it, drove 5 hours each way to the Mackinaw Bridge. I am averaging 24mpg and I've run in eco mode 99% of the time. I have a 2 mile drive to work. I used cruise at 78 mph,. A couple times I grew tired of sloppy driving and hit 92+ without noticing other than blowing by a few slowpokes. I think in the end the badlands when broken in will do more than I need. It rides great, I also think an outer banks or big bend would have been perfectly fine.
Thanks for the reply.

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
I traded in a 2017 2.0 Escape for my FE. I test drove a BB to see if I could live with the smaller engine. I could not. Knew instantly I had to stay with the 2.0 or get a different vehicle.

OP
OP
Heart2

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I traded in a 2017 2.0 Escape for my FE. I test drove a BB to see if I could live with the smaller engine. I could not. Knew instantly I had to stay with the 2.0 or get a different vehicle.
Thanks for the reply. That 2.0L is really surprising!

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I have had my OB since the end of January. Almost 4000 miles. Most of my driving is two lane 45 -55 mph. I have never felt underpowered. I have a few interesting left turns in my travels that require a bit of get up and go. I mostly drive in normal mode. Average 33 mpg. I couldn't justify spending more for the Badlands off road capabilities which I will never use.

OP
OP
Heart2

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had my OB since the end of January. Almost 4000 miles. Most of my driving is two lane 45 -55 mph. I have never felt underpowered. I have a few interesting left turns in my travels that require a bit of get up and go. I mostly drive in normal mode. Average 33 mpg. I couldn't justify spending more for the Badlands off road capabilities which I will never use.
Thanks for the reply.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
We too have a OB , its my Wife's daily driver & when I get time on the 1.5 , its never lacking , wife said the same thing & she traded in her V6 Mustang on the BS , 3K on the BS so far & she is avg. 29 mpg mostly city driving . First week we had it , I drove on the Beach in loose sand , GOAT sand Mode , in Low & had no problems in loose sand & I could see we were high centering in some spots by the under body marks were were making .

OP
OP
Heart2

Heart2

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We too have a OB , its my Wife's daily driver & when I get time on the 1.5 , its never lacking , wife said the same thing & she traded in her V6 Mustang on the BS , 3K on the BS so far & she is avg. 29 mpg mostly city driving . First week we had it , I drove on the Beach in loose sand , GOAT sand Mode , in Low & had no problems in loose sand & I could see we were high centering in some spots by the under body marks were were making .
Thanks for the reply.

Fordfan

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BRONCO SPORT OB
I came from 5 litre F150 and am really happy with the 1.5 in the bs. More than enough power and double the fuel mileage !!!!!!
Sponsored