Bronco Base Towing?

Powerz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Hi everyone, so I'm wondering why the towing package is not recommended by Ford for the base model compared to the Big Bend which has all of the same parts besides a slightly different rear bumper trim.

I've looked underneath it and it was exactly the same as a big bend without the towing package.

Has anyone gotten a tow package put onto their Bronco Base?
Sponsored

Jocker

Base
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Not yet. But im having the same question as you. I reviewed the bronco sport base specs and its reported our base can only tow 1500 max where as all other trims with the 1.5L can handle up to 2000. Uhaul package for it recommends a class 3 (rated 3500) and if our max is only 1500 that would be a class 1. SO confused.

OP
OP

Powerz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Not yet. But im having the same question as you. I reviewed the bronco sport base specs and its reported our base can only tow 1500 max where as all other trims with the 1.5L can handle up to 2000. Uhaul package for it recommends a class 3 (rated 3500) and if our max is only 1500 that would be a class 1. SO confused.
Dealership told me it's the same frame and placement etc. So it should still be 2,000 even with documentation stating the difference, the 500 difference supposedly comes from the wheel difference in packages so the 2,000 even for the big bend is really 1500 unless they've gotten the larger wheels added. That's what I've been told anyways.

Jocker

Base
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Dealership told me it's the same frame and placement etc. So it should still be 2,000 even with documentation stating the difference, the 500 difference supposedly comes from the wheel difference in packages so the 2,000 even for the big bend is really 1500 unless they've gotten the larger wheels added. That's what I've been told anyways.
Ahh ok. So slightly larger wheels add a carry weight of 500lbs. Interesting haha. Ok. Either way, class 2 towing package is correct. Uhaul trying to get me on a class 3 on their website not really worth paying more for 1000lbs I can't tow haha.

Thank you :)

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Sometimes the difference in towing capacity is due to one vehicle having a transmission cooler while the other does not (or, one has a larger transmission cooler than the other).

Jocker

Base
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Sometimes the difference in towing capacity is due to one vehicle having a transmission cooler while the other does not (or, one has a larger transmission cooler than the other).
Interesting. I didn't read anything about that on the BS or perhaps missed it. Do you know if that's the case?

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
Interesting. I didn't read anything about that on the BS or perhaps missed it. Do you know if that's the case?
I’m not sure. The Badlands does have a liquid-cooled PTU though, so that might be the difference.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
As I recall, the owners manual that came with my BL + BL only listed different towing capacity ratings for the 1.5 verses 2.0 engine, not by trim level.
True, but only the 2.0 got the liquid cooled PTU.

Jocker

Base
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
As I recall, the owner's manual that came with my BL + BL only listed different towing capacity ratings for the 1.5 versus 2.0 engine, not by trim level.
So this is where I found the difference in towing capacity.

Ford Bronco Sport Bronco Base Towing? 1620138875688

Link to the Ford page where I found this (https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_us/brand/resources/general/pdf/guides/21Towing_Ford_Bronco_Sport_Dec3.pdf ).

I had no idea. But I guess for me and my family this isnt the end of the world. Coming from a Fiesta ST to a BS we just needed the space so everything else is just a plus. Also, getting too excited to purchase the BS I pulled the trigger at the dealership a little premature :) I went in for the Big Bend and by the time I got to the dealer they only had a base model left so I went with it thinking, that means more money for mods-haha.

OP
OP

Powerz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
In either case it can definitely tow, they have the tow sway software and settings on the base as well it's on by default for some reason as well underneath the settings.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Normally a towing package includes the Hitch/Frame assembly, electrical connections & an upgraded Transmission cooler, sometimes a heavy duty Alternator , along with added programing for the shift points , be it manual input or auto input from the Trailer Plug in .

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Normally a towing package includes the Hitch/Frame assembly, electrical connections & an upgraded Transmission cooler, sometimes a heavy duty Alternator , along with added programing for the shift points , be it manual input or auto input from the Trailer Plug in .
I hooked up my trailer for the first time yesterday and I guess the factory system detects the trailer through the light plug. I was informed the rear radar sensors were turned off and that my trailer brake lights and turn signals were operative, which was a nice touch!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Powerz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I hooked up my trailer for the first time yesterday and I guess the factory system detects the trailer through the light plug. I was informed the rear radar sensors were turned off and that my trailer brake lights and turn signals were operative, which was a nice touch!
Mine’s still on hold :( until it comes in. Been waiting around 2 mos for my accessories to arrive as well lol. They just got those in this week but already at the 5k oil change so picking them up when I go there.
Sponsored