New Bronco Sport Owners Break In Period

Are you following the break-in period suggestions?

• Total voters
OP
OP

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
Thank you!! I'll wait for a while and change it out with a little room to spare
Same since our BS is equipped with Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that we can check using FordPass app. I’ll just wait until FordPass alerts me. Now the only other thing to decide is whether or not to switch it out to full synthetic on the 1st oil change lol
Sponsored

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
There is a break in period ?

Just taking it a bit more carefully then my last vehicle (no 45 in a 25mph curve ) until I learn what the vehicle is capable of doing.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Same since our BS is equipped with Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor that we can check using FordPass app. I’ll just wait until FordPass alerts me. Now the only other thing to decide is whether or not to switch it out to full synthetic on the 1st oil change lol
U can find remaining oil life in the pull down windows right between the speedo and tach.
I will switch to full syn on the first oil change. And will use Ford Motorcraft FS because of the direct Injection and the Turbo, and the fact that my local Ford dealer is the only one that will ever service my Ford's from now on. I'm not even changing my own oil anymore.

Steinfeld9

First Edition
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just as a point of reference I'm sitting at 2200 miles and my oil life indicator says 80%

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just as a point of reference I'm sitting at 2200 miles and my oil life indicator says 80%
Yep I'm at 1150 and I got 88% showing. So headed for 10,000 miles to the next oil change.
Not this boy, not on a blend that's what 10,20% synthetic ?
I'll change my 'Blended' oil at 5,000 then do FULL Synthetic, (At Ford, with Motorcraft Full syn oil)

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
Congratulations to all the new Bronco Sport owners!!! Just wondering how you guys are doing during your 1,500 mile break-in period. Those that are trying to follow the break-in guidelines, are you avoiding freeways and taking side streets so that you are always varying your speeds?

Break-in suggestions for first 1,500 miles (compiled from the forum):
  • Don't go over 80mph
  • Avoid exceeding 4000 rpms
  • No full throttle starts
  • Vary your speed frequently (don't drive a constant speed)
  • Don't tow
Really glad you posted this. Currently waiting for delivery on my Big Bend and want to make sure I treat her right.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4,000 rpm is plenty for almost everything anyway so no worry there.
I swear I was able to feel my 1.5 break in starting at 500 miles but I will admit I could be imagining this.
I kept thinking it's smoother and accelerating faster with the same throttle input.
Then as I approached the 1,000 mark
I was thinking now it's even better.

1500 miles came and went and during this period mpg's never changed much but I was using more pep from the motor.
I ventured up into 5,000 and 5,500 rpm often but found no need for normal driving. Again 4,000 was and still is plenty.
I am very happy with my 1.5 L base and it's 26.1 avg mpg. Now at 2,500 miles and get this. I still think the engine is getting better, smoother, stronger.
IT must be my Imagination right !

Akaara

Badlands
First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
4,000 rpm is plenty for almost everything anyway so no worry there.
I swear I was able to feel my 1.5 break in starting at 500 miles but I will admit I could be imagining this.
I kept thinking it's smoother and accelerating faster with the same throttle input.
Then as I approached the 1,000 mark
I was thinking now it's even better.

1500 miles came and went and during this period mpg's never changed much but I was using more pep from the motor.
I ventured up into 5,000 and 5,500 rpm often but found no need for normal driving. Again 4,000 was and still is plenty.
I am very happy with my 1.5 L base and it's 26.1 avg mpg. Now at 2,500 miles and get this. I still think the engine is getting better, smoother, stronger.
IT must be my Imagination right !
[/QUback
Congratulations to all the new Bronco Sport owners!!! Just wondering how you guys are doing during your 1,500 mile break-in period. Those that are trying to follow the break-in guidelines, are you avoiding freeways and taking side streets so that you are always varying your speeds?

Break-in suggestions for first 1,500 miles (compiled from the forum):
  • Don't go over 80mph
  • Avoid exceeding 4000 rpms
  • No full throttle starts
  • Vary your speed frequently (don't drive a constant speed)
  • Don't tow
I had no choice but to drive it back on the highway an hour away from the dealership! I kept it under 80. Trying to be good but find myself speeding accidentally as it has some pep! Hope driving it home didn't affect it negatively. My Rav4 never went through a break in but I never had any issues.

MightyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Mighty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Explorer & Impala
Yes, I want to baby this thing in case I don’t upgrade to the big Bronco. I work for a private label auto parts distributor and plan on running all of our product and changing the oil at 1K, 3K and 5K. Then just run 5K intervals with FS. Living in the suburbs of Atlanta I can’t really drive over 80 mph often anyways. And I’ve never been much of a lead foot, so it’s not like I’m changing much, just leaving extra room so I don’t slam on the brakes.

I’m glad to hear pretty much everyone has nothing but good things to say about their new rides too though.

Jocker

Base
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
No need to avoid freeways, just don't use cruise control & you'll be constantly changing speeds when you flow with the traffic.
I am not very mechanically savy but what is the logic behind not maintaining a constant speed? How does maintaining a specific speed do any harm or wear and tear to any seals, engine, parts?

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I am not very mechanically savy but what is the logic behind not maintaining a constant speed? How does maintaining a specific speed do any harm or wear and tear to any seals, engine, parts?
Varying the RPM of the engine gives the components a chance to get settled in to their designed tolerances. You probably wouldn't harm the engine from driving it at a constant speed, but it may cause some components to wear out prematurely down the road.

Jocker

Base
First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Varying the RPM of the engine gives the components a chance to get settled into their designed tolerances. You probably wouldn't harm the engine by driving it at a constant speed, but it may cause some components to wear out prematurely down the road.
Well, that makes a little more sense. I have just crossed the 1000 mile marker so I wish I had found that information earlier. I wanted to test the fuel efficiency after I purchased so on the freeway I would eco-mode it and set the cruise control to determine what I could achieve. Hypothetically speaking even with cruise control the engine does not always maintain an exact RMP as ascending/descending hills will cause it to fluctuate. -I apologize for overthinking/lengthy reply.

*Side Note* I had asked the salesman before leaving the dealership about the break-in period. Sadly, I had to trade in my '16 Fiesta ST (due to increased family size) which did have some specific break-in instructions that I had followed. The salesman simply said to me "break-in periods are a thing of the past on older vehicles and with technology it is no longer relevant or a thing." I didn't want to waste my time to explain he's not correct I simply left the dealership as he was surprised I did my own basic maintenance on all my vehicles and was most impressed that I could do my own oil changes - should have taken that as a sign but was too excited to get in my bronco. :)

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport
Sitting at about 2400 miles after 2 months. Babied my BigBend until 1530, then went on a 600 mile road trip. Tinted the windows to match the back windows, gave it a sun strip. A few more bells and whistles. Thule double kayak rack. Still love it. 2”lift coming soon. Replacing tires with a 32” when that lift comes in.

Ford Bronco Sport New Bronco Sport Owners Break In Period F87F58C9-A24A-4397-ADFF-4A6D8E12D757

lbjailer

First Edition
First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 F150 Lariat 4X4, Bronco Sport First Edition
Where I live the speed limit is 70 on the interstate and everyone driving 80+. Yesterday I was driving route 66 and had to pass slower cars a couple of times. I came from a Focus ST and have to say the 2 liter in the Bronco is impressive. Not missing the standard transmission in traffic jams anymore.

DMEARC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang, 2021 BS OB
The salesman simply said to me "break-in periods are a thing of the past on older vehicles and with technology it is no longer relevant or a thing." I didn't want to waste my time to explain he's not correct
The salesman is not wrong. What does the owners manual of the Bronco Sport say for break-in?
Sponsored