Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport, BMW Z3
I have an OB with the tow package. Can anyone explain to me the difference, if there is one, between the anti sway in the OB and the separate anti sway bars that attach to the tongue of a trailer? TIA!
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Trailer tortion bars, (anti sway) bars are for larger trailers than the sport could ever handle. Generally for dual axle and larger trailers.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
Small trailer (Bronco Sport size) friction type anti sway bar, not to be confused with load leveling/weight distribution bars. Prices start at $50 if needed at all.

Ford Bronco Sport Anti sway? sway

OP
OP
Ponyrider

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you everyone. I was having a brain cramp on how anti sway in the sport differs from anti sway on the trailer itself. We have a small (~ 1100 lbs) camper. Empty it travels fine. Any additional weight makes it get a bit squirrely. The FB group for these campers confirmed they are sensitive to the slightest change in weight. We're hoping the anti sway and longer wheelbase ( jeep wrangler was the original tv) of the Sport will help. That and reworking the poorly designed side to side weight distribution.

SLJ

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport OB
Also helps if your trailer is loaded properly...

OP
OP
Ponyrider

Ponyrider

Outer Banks
First Name
Nadine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also helps if your trailer is loaded properly...
Thank you. I have seen this video many times. We are careful in loading. I was just curious if there was a difference between the built in anti sway and the add on anti sway bars.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
mini towing review

Weston52

Big Bend
First Name
Weston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Solara, 91 Miata
I
It's all electronic. The computer will automatically apply the brakes to individual wheels when it detects trailer sway.

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/safety/driver-assist-technology/trailers-towing-loading/trailer-sway-control.html#
I also have the anti-sway switch on my BB without any hitch package. I understand from the video that the program acts on the vehicle brakes and warns to slow down etc if it detects trailer sway. My question is does it know there’s a trailer or is it simply reacting to the action of the vehicle itself?

rdc17

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL+BL
I
I also have the anti-sway switch on my BB without any hitch package. I understand from the video that the program acts on the vehicle brakes and warns to slow down etc if it detects trailer sway. My question is does it know there’s a trailer or is it simply reacting to the action of the vehicle itself?
I'd be interested to see how this works on a BS that doesn't have the factory hitch and wiring. From what I've observed on mine is that it detects the presence of a trailer using the trailer brake light connector. If I plug that in, I get a bunch of messages about various things on the instrument cluster. If I'm just doing a quick move of the trailer and don't connect the lights I don't get those messages.

Robins21

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 05 F150, 99 Explorer, 69 Stang
Today we checked our BB w/o a tow package & we could switch on & off the trailer sway control.
Sponsored