Bdub

First Edition
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
No luck decoupling cross bars when I picked up my FE last night. Since they haven't arrived and not installed I'll be throwing them in the classified section.
Sponsored

RonSwanson

First Edition
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2020 Edge ST, 2021 Bronco Sport First Edition
No luck decoupling cross bars when I picked up my FE last night. Since they haven't arrived and not installed I'll be throwing them in the classified section.
I'm likely in the same boat, so I'm going to have the dealer install them and if they're too loud or something I'll take them off. I want to give them a try before spending money on another pair.

OP
OP

speakeasy

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
How is the wind noise with these on at highway speeds (i.e. 70mph+)? I got the OEM offroads and forgot them at the dealership when I picked up the car.

I'm looking at these as an alternative since they're lower profile (and not as "tall" as the OEM), but I also read a lot of negative reviews on Thule's site regarding wind noise / whistling.
I’ve only had it on the interstate a couple of times since installing them, but I didn’t think the wind noise wasbad. I read those same reviews, so I was worried about it too. When listening for it with the radio off there’s a little more noise than there was without them, but I haven’t heard any whistling yet.
That's exactly the feedback I needed. Much appreciated.

Any noticeable difference in mpg?
I haven’t seen a difference in mpg from them yet, but I haven’t done any long drives since installing them either. I’m driving a few hours away to the ozarks this weekend though, so I’ll see if there’s any difference then.

dinglehead

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger FX4
Any reasons to choose Thule over the Yakimas? I like the integrated tie downs and such in those Yakima bars.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
Any reasons to choose Thule over the Yakimas? I like the integrated tie downs and such in those Yakima bars.
My guess it is whichever accessory ecosystem you want to buy into (like Windows or Mac). I am planning to go with the Yakima crossbar. I don't know I have a good reason (I live in Washington state and Yakima is just 2 hours away?)

Of course, with the delays, perhaps it will be a long time before I get the crossbars...

espressomac

Badlands
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
I just installed the Thule HD crossbar system on my Big Bend. If anyone is curious, and wants more specs than the Ford accessories page offers, the kit consists of Wingbar Evo 135 crossbars and Rapid Crossroad 450R feet.

Ford Bronco Sport Thule HD Crossbar Roof Rack System installed B5552203-9DB6-4ACF-8542-0DBA98DAE936

Ford Bronco Sport Thule HD Crossbar Roof Rack System installed 58A3700D-566C-4768-AC98-A62447CF82F6
Nice setup. Could you let us know how many inches the Rapid Crossroad feet add to the height of the roof rails? In other words, how many inches are added to the overall height of the Sport?

Could you also tell us how many inches apart the roof rails are? Does anyone know if that's the same separation in all trims?

Thanks in advance.

meatloafman69

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fiesta ST
I ordered the OEM off road crossbars with my Badlands. I told my dealer not to install them though. As I live in Michigan I figured I would put them on in the spring. I am planning on getting a Thule roof basket so I may still get Thule crossbars also. I like the lower profile over the OEM's.

Hunterwoods96

Base
First Name
Hunter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Just ordered the Thule crossbars! A few tips to help those shopping cross bars:

Part Numbers:
Yakima VM1PZ-7855100-A Link. Price $559
Thule VM1PZ-7855100-C Link. Price $369

Then, if you go to Ford Parts website you might save a bit. They were full price at my dealer but i checked a bunch of dealers in my area and found many dealers have them discounted and FREE shipping to your house. Found a different dealer had them for $287, and the site has a running promotion for $20 off orders >$75. So got them for $267 before tax.

Ford Bronco Sport Thule HD Crossbar Roof Rack System installed 1609825414996
Do you remember what dealer you bought these from?

OP
OP

speakeasy

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Nice setup. Could you let us know how many inches the Rapid Crossroad feet add to the height of the roof rails? In other words, how many inches are added to the overall height of the Sport?

Could you also tell us how many inches apart the roof rails are? Does anyone know if that's the same separation in all trims?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry for the late response. From the top of the rail to the top of the crossbar is about 2.75 inches. I have them set 25” apart, but you could spread them out farther. The installation instructions call for a minumum separation of 24 inches. The roof rails themselves are closer together at the back than the front. Measuring between the inside edges at the top of the rails, the distance is about 43 inches apart in the front and 37.25 inches at the back.

espressomac

Badlands
First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Sorry for the late response. From the top of the rail to the top of the crossbar is about 2.75 inches. I have them set 25” apart, but you could spread them out farther. The installation instructions call for a minumum separation of 24 inches. The roof rails themselves are closer together at the back than the front. Measuring between the inside edges at the top of the rails, the distance is about 43 inches apart in the front and 37.25 inches at the back.
Thank you for taking the time. The separation information has been impossible to find.

Kq100

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
What is the max spread you can get between the cross bars?

olly12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Do you remember what dealer you bought these from?
I did Bowen Scarff Ford in Kent, WA. I chatted with their parts dept who said it's direct shipped from Ford regardless of which dealer you pick, the dealer is not involved.

olly12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Just ordered the Thule crossbars! A few tips to help those shopping cross bars:

Part Numbers:
Yakima VM1PZ-7855100-A Link. Price $559
Thule VM1PZ-7855100-C Link. Price $369

Then, if you go to Ford Parts website you might save a bit. They were full price at my dealer but i checked a bunch of dealers in my area and found many dealers have them discounted and FREE shipping to your house. Found a different dealer had them for $287, and the site has a running promotion for $20 off orders >$75. So got them for $267 before tax.

Ford Bronco Sport Thule HD Crossbar Roof Rack System installed 1609825414996
Ford Parts site just cancelled my order, 15 days after placing it, saying Thule cross bars are backordered indefinitely, no ETA. I called my local dealer and they had 2 available, and agreed to honor my online price. Annoying but at least a path forward.

Remotecellphone

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Altima Coupe
Do they make Thule or Yakima crossbars that are not longer than the width of the Bronco Sport? Is there any specific reason why it sticks out so much?
Sponsored