JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
I was just on the Yakima site. They now have the Bronco Sport listed in their configurator. Was looking at the locknload platform which is featured in some of Ford’s concept BS. It looks versatile.

The locknload is described as weighing 65 pounds. If I’m reading this correctly, that would limit me to 35 pounds of gear on top. (For reference, gas weighs 6 lbs per gallon, water is 8 lbs, a high jack lift is perhaps 27 lbs)

Dang moon roof!

What are you thinking about racks?

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I was just on the Yakima site. They now have the Bronco Sport listed in their configurator. Was looking at the locknload platform which is featured in some of Ford’s concept BS. It looks versatile.

The locknload is described as weighing 65 pounds. If I’m reading this correctly, that would limit me to 35 pounds of gear on top. (For reference, gas weighs 6 lbs per gallon, water is 8 lbs, a high jack lift is perhaps 27 lbs)

Dang moon roof!

What are you thinking about racks?
Yeah, moonroof, smh. Perhaps I might look into small trailers like some suggested, head up to Alaska to pick up a trailer!

https://valiantexp.com/the-452

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
the exact reason why I opted to go without the BL package....

With that said.. the Rhino-Rack Pioneer SX platform (60x54") looks to be similar to the Yakima Locknload but weighs only ~48lbs

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
Thank you! That looks nice. I see on their site that the Bronco Sport is not yet on the fit list but no doubt they will get there.
It's a platform... so wouldn't it just need the right mounting to crossbars?
I really know nothing about these though..

So unless you're looking for a direct mount to the stock rails.

I would assume that those will happen after the actual car is released on the market.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

dreamwrx

Badlands
First Name
Huy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 WRX
I found a two-person roof top tent that weighs 100 pounds, so it would work with the BL+BL: https://adventure-ready.com/store/james-baroud-horizon-vision-rooftop-tent/

I found them from this blog on Seattle Met: https://www.seattlemet.com/travel-and-outdoors/2015/09/overlanding-the-cascades

If you all ever want to come to Washington to overland, let me know! :)
It's right at around 100lbs.. Would crossbars be needed (which adds additional weight) or can they be mounted directly on the BS' rails?

Also I'm sure you've seen the GFC Superlite RT already. It looks like the Superlight is longer but less width. 50x90" sleeping area and $1600

The James Baroud Horizon has a 59"x86"... as a fat and short person I'd like this better.. but its $2800 without the thermal barrier.

I'll stick with Hammock or floor tent camping.. too rich for my brokeself

GaryS

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Hey Everyone...

So... to clarify... in motion, everything on the roof is capped at 100 Pounds with Sunroof.

Do you folks see that as an issue at all regarding racks and carriers?

As in. Seems like all these roof racks and carrier are around 30 pounds give or take. So gear needs to be under 70 pounds to be super safe... Is 70 pounds of gear a lot of room to make it work or is it cutting it thin?

Also, 600 pounds of weight... same for sunroof or without it... so basically the aerodynamics while driving are such that it just can't handle 150 pounds of weight.

So how many tents are on the market under 100 pounds I wonder? I checked out the one listed in the thread fyi.
My plan is to run two kayaks on the roof with Thule or Yakima crossbars. The bars are rated to 200 lbs. But if Ford rates it at 100 lbs (w sunroof) that's a problem. Static weight is fine, but I'm wondering how true or how much leeway the moving weight really is. The two kayaks would weigh 110 lb. Add 2 sets of carriers of maybe another 40 lbs or more. My 2009 Mercury Mariner handled this with no issues at all and I never imagined the BS would pose a problem. If it's just a safety recommendation in that the truck can be unstable at highway speeds with that weight on top, I'm always very careful hauling kayaks because I'm always paranoid of them breaking off and hitting someone. Any real-world experience or thoughts? TIA.

Last edited:

spiritedcharm

Badlands
First Name
Scarlett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport Badlands
I want to add my quandary to this thread. I have a Badlands with sunroof on order and also plan to haul two kayaks occasionally. The combined weight of the kayaks plus two sets of racks is 110 pounds. I have an email in to my salesman to get the weight of the Ford crossbars as well. Obviously I will be exceeding the weight limit, but it will ONLY be a few times a year for short trips on back roads at lower speeds.. What is the real risk for my situation and is it worth it, considering how much I want the sunroof (which will be down most days)?

tburner

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I want to add my quandary to this thread. I have a Badlands with sunroof on order and also plan to haul two kayaks occasionally. The combined weight of the kayaks plus two sets of racks is 110 pounds. I have an email in to my salesman to get the weight of the Ford crossbars as well. Obviously I will be exceeding the weight limit, but it will ONLY be a few times a year for short trips on back roads at lower speeds.. What is the real risk for my situation and is it worth it, considering how much I want the sunroof (which will be down most days)?
Only you can answer if it's worth it, as you'll be footing the bill should anything go wrong. You'll be at an increased risk of rollover. That said, I personally wouldn't sweat it. And neither would Ford. Their own promo materials show a BL (presumably with BL package) hooning through the forest with a RTT + awning. That weighs 130+ lbs. Further, the mannequin I bought was configured from the factory (not the dealership) with the RTT and awning.

Should you decide you're operating within your acceptable risk tolerance, you'll need to understand your handling will take a hit and adjust your driving accordingly, which you've already stated you will.

thekingprawn

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
With the weight limit it seems going with a slightly smaller platform which will weigh less and create less drag would be a good idea since you can't put that much on it anyway. My heaviest items that may go up there are wire mesh dog kennels and a few of the camping items like tents and kitchen setup.

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get the appeal of 1UP. It is hard to spend almost a grand on a bike rack for two bikes.
Yes, they are protecting expensive bikes but the rack itself seems to cost as much as a bike.

Any thoughts on something at a lower price point?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
What is the real risk for my situation and is it worth it, considering how much I want the sunroof (which will be down most days)?
How can anyone accurately asses this risk? Ford published a dynamic load limit for the roof, and as far as I know no one here has any data that can tell us on what Ford based it on. My GUESS is the car's rollover characteristics--most likely related to emergency handling--suffer because it's a tall vehicle, and any weight you put up there has a much greater effect on the vehicle's center of gravity than it would on a shorter vehicle. But that's pure speculation, and therein lies your problem.

I don't see how anyone here can answer your question with anything beyond speculation.
Sponsored