Roof Weight Limits?

erik1220

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Chrysler 300S, '89 Toyota MR2, '09 Altima
Do we know what the dynamic and static roof weight limits are? The Bronco 2 door and 4 door had this information posted in the specs section of the website but the Sport did not. I am interested in purchasing a roof top tent and would love to see at least a 450lb static limit.
Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Do we know what the dynamic and static roof weight limits are? The Bronco 2 door and 4 door had this information posted in the specs section of the website but the Sport did not. I am interested in purchasing a roof top tent and would love to see at least a 450lb static limit.
Here is what I could find for you
Ford Bronco Sport Roof Weight Limits? Safari Roof limit.JPG

OP
OP
erik1220

erik1220

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Chrysler 300S, '89 Toyota MR2, '09 Altima
Thank you so much Albert! 600lbs is perfect for a roof top tent +2 and gear. Excited to hear this. I am really surprised that the Sport has a higher rated roof weight than the 2 and 4 door.

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Thank you so much Albert! 600lbs is perfect for a roof top tent +2 and gear. Excited to hear this. I am really surprised that the Sport has a higher rated roof weight than the 2 and 4 door.
Well the rating that the Big Bronco boys are up in arms about is the travel weight which is just a bit more less that Sport has of 150...

Travel weight is what you can have loaded down towards the roof while at highway speeds which has it own force...and I will stop there..

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Canyon, Fiat Spider 124, Bronco Sport Badlands
The moonroof (on FE) lowers the weight to 100 pounds which is going to eliminate all tepui tents. I guess I will be looking for a ground tent option. Too bad.

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
The moonroof (on FE) lowers the weight to 100 pounds which is going to eliminate all tepui tents. I guess I will be looking for a ground tent option. Too bad.
On the same thought with the FE, however I'm considering this rooftop tent...hard shell, 80lbs, might be a solution (of course, a ground tent is always an option).

https://gofastcampers.com/superlite-roof-tent/

That plus my Kuat NV 2.0 with a swinging pivot....and I'll just need an awning. Decisions, decisions...

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That plus my Kuat NV 2.0 with a swinging pivot....and I'll just need an awning. Decisions, decisions
that looks like a great bike rack. I see it is for a 2 inch receiver. Do we know what size the Sport has?

chaseAbronco

Badlands
First Name
chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
What? When I went in, they said 2" and although not clear, a few photos appear 2"...hmmm me no like if only 1 1/4 inch. I'd life further confirmation as I think you can still have a 2" size hitch even if just class II (towing capacity).

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
I cannot find an answer to that other than Class II (up to 3500#) which is usually an 1 1/4 inch but they can be 2" for the bikes like the Escapes and Edges however Ford has no firm answer that I can find...

JamesT

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prob best thing is not to get ahead of myself and wait till I see the thing. No need to buy stuff this early! Waiting, waiting...

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
My daughter has no patience while she is waiting for hers to show up either..:)

Last night she came by and was asking about accessories and what they look like so I showed her what I can see....Nothing on my end either...

2Horse

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Sport Badlands
I cannot find an answer to that other than Class II (up to 3500#) which is usually an 1 1/4 inch but they can be 2" for the bikes like the Escapes and Edges however Ford has no firm answer that I can find...
The pictures that I have seen of the hitch looked like 2" but I may be wrong. At any rate, a bicycle rack that Ford sells as an accessory would have to be compatible with the size of the hitch, correct? Or are there adapters required?

BobSlydel21

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camry
Hey Everyone...

So... to clarify... in motion, everything on the roof is capped at 100 Pounds with Sunroof.

Do you folks see that as an issue at all regarding racks and carriers?

As in. Seems like all these roof racks and carrier are around 30 pounds give or take. So gear needs to be under 70 pounds to be super safe... Is 70 pounds of gear a lot of room to make it work or is it cutting it thin?

Also, 600 pounds of weight... same for sunroof or without it... so basically the aerodynamics while driving are such that it just can't handle 150 pounds of weight.

So how many tents are on the market under 100 pounds I wonder? I checked out the one listed in the thread fyi.
Sponsored