First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
Hi everyone!
every one iS getting so excited about Bronco , bronco Sport,
- forget about its future depreciation, hold up value: Compare to Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma Off road
- and reliability

Would you take Toyota 4 runner and Tacoma 4x4 pro instead?
what is your thoughts?
Thank you
Sponsored

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
I don't know if anyone CAN predict much less actually discuss about the depreciation and reliability of a car that hasn't even had its first real world owner yet. One needs at least a year or more worth of real world ownership from several thousands if not more, for gathering such data, IMO. Waiting a year for real world reviews from owners and car testing magazines (C&D, MotorTrend, etc) would be the best way to go.
All we can do right now is compare the features and specs of other cars in the SAME category/price class. (check out the 3 links at the end for that)

It probably will depreciate more than a Toyota IN GENERAL, but then who knows? 1st and 2nd gen Escapes were good sellers despite not being stellar in reliability. They are not very easy to come by used: I know because I had to shop for a LONG time to find a used 2nd gen boxy escape (2010 AWD Limited) -the B-sport is like the re-incarnation of the boxy Escape, just with much better equipment and off road chops; IMO, it's going to sell well and hold value IF proven reliable initially. (This is why i want to wait to get a 2022 model and not first year).
It looks a hell of a lot more better and aggressive than anything Toyota has right now, at least to my eyes.
I'd like to also add that although we all expect reliability and longevity from our cars, most B-Sport shoppers may not put those as their TOP criteria. The B-sport does things that a reliable A to B daily driver to work cannot. Every new car model involves some risk taking when buying and this is no different.

Perhaps one can draw impressions from the existing 2.0L and 1.5L engine equipped other Ford models to get a ROUGH idea of powertrain reliability but that's still not going to be very accurate, as the B-Sport will be combined with different 4x4 systems and added terrain modes and whatnot. Hard to say how those will affect the transmission and engine longevity. I am sure they field-tested the B-Sport.

As for why one would not get a 4Runner or a Tacoma: I am not sure if those are in the same class. The B-sport probably competes with the RAV4, and not the 4Runner.
And Tacoma? not similar, IMO: It's a pickup truck. Different vehicle class, for a different purpose. I don't think B-sport shoppers would/should cross shop either of the those cars.

To me, the B-sport in BL trim is a LOT of car for the money that has very good mix of off road AND normal city driving looks and capability. Its 4x4 is standard across ALL trim levels. Not many cars can say that, in the same class at least.

Here is a great comparo to other vehicles in the SAME CLASS as the B-sport:
https://www.broncosportforum.com/forum/threads/full-tech-spec-comparison-vs-the-competition.1134/

Another one

And another:

Last edited:

Slickrock

Badlands
First Name
Slick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
I'll bite...

The engines.. sure, we'd like the 2.3, but the 2.0 should be fine.

The Tacos...
Rav4 is a millennial SUV, at least it's not all rounded, but it's defintely aimed at a different market.
4Runner is bigger than the Sport, but has that typical "fat lip" Toyota look. It's also expensive. It's a big boat. But it's not that comparable.
Tacoma? Compare that to pickups, not SUVs.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
I'll bite...
yeah...I just have this small but nagging feeling that 2nd model year might get the 2.3L ... so I am holding out until '22 models are out sometime late in '21

OP
OP

kissmetoomuch

First Edition
First Name
Tuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic
yeah...I just have this small but nagging feeling that 2nd model year might get the 2.3L ... so I am holding out until '22 models are out sometime late in '21
Thank you. I am going to wait for the second generation to come out. And hope ford will be more reliable.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Thank you. I am going to wait for the second generation to come out. And hope ford will be more reliable.
Experiences vary, but I put 260,000 miles on my 2006 Escape, no recalls and never touched by a mechanic except for wheel alignments and tire changes. I did perform some minor repairs myself. The current owner is still driving it towards 300,000 miles. It has the 2.3L with a manual transmission. I understand the V6's autos were a little more problematic.

hawkonthego

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
Over 100K on my 2.0 L with no problems. Only had the plugs changed at 102K and coolant changed. Always used premium fuel and no oil consumption. Very reliable

Martinjv71

Badlands
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BadLands
Hi everyone!
every one iS getting so excited about Bronco , bronco Sport,
- forget about its future depreciation, hold up value: Compare to Toyota 4Runner, Tacoma Off road
- and reliability

what is your thoughts?
Thank you
Why would we talk about Toyotas on a bronco thread? That may be the reason no one talks about it since that fact is that it in not a rice burner thread ?........

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
I'm pretty sure if I wanted a 4 Runner or Tacoma 4x4 Pro I would have just bought one, but I chose to by a BS. :sunglasses: Besides, you can't turn around where I live without bumping into either a Tacoma, a 4 Runner, a Land Rover or a Jeep. It's one of the reasons I got rid of my Jeep.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Why would we talk about Toyotas on a bronco thread? That may be the reason no one talks about it since that fact is that it in not a rice burner thread ?........
I get that everyone wants to compare this to that...always a measuring contest. Seems like more and more posts just trying to "prove" the bronco/sport aren't all that...great! Good for you. Wait, buy a Kia, Volvo, Subaru, yota...all very dependable...AND predictable brands. For me, I owned a Bronco, I bought a new Bronco. The nostalgia was a huge part not gonna lie.
Repairs? It's a car...tell me about a brand that doesn't have some 300K gems and 3K lemons, I'll wait.
Resale? Didn't buy a single car worried about the resale. I worry about what I can afford and what I like/gets my job done.
Yada yada....yada. no offense, the last thing I'd do is go to a Yota forum and question if I should wait to buy a yota or get a Bronco because it's probably better.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I'll bite...

The Tacos...
Rav4 is a millennial SUV, at least it's not all rounded, but it's defintely aimed at a different market.
4Runner is bigger than the Sport, but has that typical "fat lip" Toyota look. It's also expensive. It's a big boat. But it's not that comparable.
Tacoma? Compare that to pickups, not SUVs.
Fat lip. Ha. Using that!

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I get that everyone wants to compare this to that...always a measuring contest. Seems like more and more posts just trying to "prove" the bronco/sport aren't all that...great! Good for you. Wait, buy a Kia, Volvo, Subaru, yota...all very dependable...AND predictable brands. For me, I owned a Bronco, I bought a new Bronco. The nostalgia was a huge part not gonna lie.
Repairs? It's a car...tell me about a brand that doesn't have some 300K gems and 3K lemons, I'll wait.
Resale? Didn't buy a single car worried about the resale. I worry about what I can afford and what I like/gets my job done.
Yada yada....yada. no offense, the last thing I'd do is go to a Yota forum and question if I should wait to buy a yota or get a Bronco because it's probably better.
Plus 4runners are crazy expensive imo. Look at what what we get with the BSport for the buck. And it looks badass.
4Runners, They’re like that chic that’s hot but knows she’s hot and is way up her own exhaust pipe. I don’t need that chic.

Kachadurian

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Fiat 500
Plus 4runners are crazy expensive imo. Look at what what we get with the BSport for the buck. And it looks badass.
4Runners, They’re like that chic that’s hot but knows she’s hot and is way up her own exhaust pipe. I don’t need that chic.
I learned about resale value. I owned a Crosstrek for 4 years. I bought it for $24,000 and sold it for $19,000, in my mind great value retention. But I didn't enjoy the car. It did it's job. No trouble at all, but I like to enjoy driving. My $15,500 Fiat 500 is still going strong. it's ten years old and probably not worth much at all, but I can't wait to drive it. I love every trip I take.

For me the Fiat was a better investment than the Subaru, because it makes me happy. I won't know until I own it, but I suspect the Bronco sport is going to have the same FUN factor. If it doesn't, I'll sell it and buy something else.

Life is too short no to enjoy the drive.

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I learned about resale value. I owned a Crosstrek for 4 years. I bought it for $24,000 and sold it for $19,000, in my mind great value retention. But I didn't enjoy the car. It did it's job. No trouble at all, but I like to enjoy driving. My $15,500 Fiat 500 is still going strong. it's ten years old and probably not worth much at all, but I can't wait to drive it. I love every trip I take.

For me the Fiat was a better investment than the Subaru, because it makes me happy. I won't know until I own it, but I suspect the Bronco sport is going to have the same FUN factor. If it doesn't, I'll sell it and buy something else.

Life is too short no to enjoy the drive.
For sure. It’s part of our history as Americans, our love affairs with our cars. It’s not always an investment how boring is that? Its about that feeling, spirit, and open road. It’s priceless to be able and go out and the a car you’ve always wanted, or go out and buy something new.
Sponsored