Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Even if you service it perfectly it still doesn't filter as well as a paper filter. There's a reason K&N filters flow more air: the microscopic holes that allow air to pass are larger, which means more and larger particulates can pass through them.
TRUE BUT !
In my previous post that 320,000 miles I had on that single K&N filter. That particular vehicle is the one that I Got 528,000 miles out if before the engines compression levels became an issue.
So what ever did pass though was never a problem,
BUT here we go.
That super high mileage engine did not have a Turbo. I’ll stick to Ford Factory parts.
Sure K&N made it big in racing where engines always needed the biggest lungs to help chug fuel to go fast.
Racing engines need to last what ?
24 hours,
500 miles,
A quarter mile times ten runs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
TRUE BUT !
There's always one of those!

That super high mileage engine did not have a Turbo.
Prolly didn't spend much time in the dirt either. :rockon:

Racing engines need to last what ?
24 hours,
500 miles,
A quarter mile times ten runs.
Top fuel dragsters don't use air filters, but the team rebuilds the engine after every 1/4 mile run--assuming they don't blow up.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Top fuel dragsters don't use air filters, but the team rebuilds the engine after every 1/4 mile run--assuming they don't blow up.
Did not know that wowza, always thought they got a day at the strip with several runs.
That is one expensive sport !

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did not know that wowza, always thought they got a day at the strip with several runs.
That is one expensive sport !
Here are a few "interesting facts" about top fuel dragsters:

• One top fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500. They have over half again as much horsepower in one cylinder as a Dodge Viper has in all ten. No one has ever successfully run one long enough on a dyno to get a horsepower reading. Current estimates are right around 11,000 horsepower.
  • Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes up to 15 gallons of nitromethane fuel during a single run, or four gallons per second.
  • A stock Dodge Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster supercharger. The fuel pump alone requires more horsepower to turn than the average street car produces.
  • With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.
  • The 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane produces a flame front with a temperature measured at 7050 degrees F.
  • Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, disassociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
  • Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
  • Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After the run, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by running the car out of fuel. There is no way to cut off the fuel; the engine stops only when it blows or the tank runs dry.
  • If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
  • In order to exceed 300 mph in under 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4G's. To reach 200 mph well before half-track like the current record holder, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's. To put this in perspective, a top fuel dragster started next to a Super Hornet launching from an aircraft carrier's steam catapult would be in the water and sinking before the Super Hornet was halfway down the deck.
  • Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have finished reading this sentence.
  • At their redline of 9,500 RPM, top fuel engines turn approximately 550 revolutions from race start to finish.
  • Including the burnout, the engine must only survive approximately 900 revolutions under load. They only survive about 80% of the time.
  • Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second.
  • The engine is entirely rebuilt every run, or every 900 revolutions. New pistons and rings, new rods, new rod bearings. Sometimes a new crank. The crew does this in about two hours between rounds.
  • The current top fuel dragster speed record is held by Brittany Force. She made a 1,000 ft pass in Las Vegas in just 3.659 seconds, achieving 338.17 mph before crossing the finish.

Putting all of this into perspective: You are driving the V-8 powered super car of your choice. Over a mile up the road, a top fuel dragster sits staged and ready to launch down the strip. You will have the advantage of a flying start. You run your car hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line past the dragster at an honest 200 mph. The 'tree' goes green for both of you, and the dragster launches at the precise moment you pass the line. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear a harsh, brutal whine growing louder as it approaches from behind. Within three seconds the noise is deafening as the dragster catches and passes you, beating you to the finish line. Think about it: from a standing start the dragster spotted you 200 mph and not only beat you to the finish, but nearly blasted you off the road as it passed you going some 100 mph faster, all in less than 1/4 mile.

Fairplayinc

Big Bend
First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
This CAI paired with an exhaust and a tuning device, like JB4, will see much greater benefit than the CAI by itself. I’m interested in pairing this up with the JB4 on my wife’s BS 1.5. Should net some impressive gains. I installed a Roush intake and exhaust on my full sized Bronco, threw on a JB4 and on e30 blend gained massive hp/tq. 70hp/90tq.

SC21

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Not a dumb question. I'm sure this is going to ruffle some feathers, but the answer is probably little to none. It won't be long before the AutoZone parts junkies repel from the forum ceilings and set me on fire for besmirching the precious CAI, because they put one on their Dodge Neon and it gained 25 HP, but oh well. :crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

V8 Yankee

Outer Banks
First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport
K&N filters have been shown to flow more air than standard paper filters, but the question is does that matter? For a higher-flow filter to matter would require two things: a) a restriction in the stock system that can be improved upon, and b) the turbocharger can take advantage of more air flow.

Based on my experience with the EcoBoost Mustang I'm skeptical.

The other consideration with K&N filters is they are not as effective at doing the primary job of an air filter, which is to prevent particulates from entering the engine via the intake. The video below is a quantitative comparison between different filter types. If you don't want to watch all the stuff about performance improvement fast forward to 9 minutes for the section on filtration efficiency.

Thanks for that awesome test. It's all about numbers and your test really broke it down, the charts were equally awesome. Did u ever test Motorcraft air filters. I'd really be interested on their metrics. Thanks

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that awesome test. It's all about numbers and your test really broke it down, the charts were equally awesome. Did u ever test Motorcraft air filters. I'd really be interested on their metrics. Thanks
I don't remember exactly where the article is now, but I know there were several comparison tests of the stock air filter vs several different "performance" filters conducted by independent organizations (not selling something) in the Mustang EcoBoost. None of the tested filters resulted in a statistically significant power increase, and some actually decreased power.

In the end, the amount of power an internal combustion engine may produce is entirely dependent on how much air you can get in and out of it. Ford's EcoBoost line of engines produce a REMARKABLE amount of power compared to displacement. Most Ford vehicles equipped with EcoBoost engines are at or near the top of their segments when it comes to engine power; it's obvious to me Ford is focused on power output. To achieve the numbers Ford has with its EcoBoost line its engineers must have spent a great amount of time and attention to moving air in and out of these engines. I'm extremely skeptical that folks so clearly focused on squeezing all the power possible from their engines would overlook something so simple as a filter swap--if one were available--to get a few more horsepower.

Every time one of these threads comes up I ask if anyone has testing from an independent agency to back up claims of power improvement. Not in general--we know flowing more air provides the potential for more power. I'm looking for test data that shows a different filter in this particular application results in a statistically significant power increase. To date no one has presented any data.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep I’ll pass on the K&N and only buy Motorcraft.
I don’t drag race so the .1 or .2 second gain of the K&N is meaningless to me.
I would rather have a better running engine at 80,000 miles, or 180,000 If I decide to keepmy BS for a back up car one day.
The story told many times by Harley riders of the small holes found in the K&N’s filter media from larger particles will keep me running paper filters with this little turbo engine.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not an option with the Outer Banks. Would love to have the 2.0 available for this model.
Yep you have to pay for power.
The 2.0 Liter Equipped Bs’s start at what ? $39,000 plus what ever package you ask for.
If I was able to spend north of $40k I’d be looking at a different Ford model.
Still happy at 27,000 miles with my sub $30k Base model. :,P

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
Yep you have to pay for power.
The 2.0 Liter Equipped Bs’s start at what ? $39,000 plus what ever package you ask for.
If I was able to spend north of $40k I’d be looking at a different Ford model.
Still happy at 27,000 miles with my sub $30k Base model. :,P
MSRP on mine is $40,335. I'd gladly pay a few bucks more for the 2.0. I order the car exactly the way I want it and pay accordingly.
Sponsored