Window Tinting - do you need to remove the factory tint first?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
My first stop after mine arrives will be to the tint shop. Here we can only go 35% on front side windows, 20% on rear side windows, and 35% on rear glass. Nothing on windshield below 6". I thought I read on this forum somewhere that there's a coating you can put on the windshield that looks clear but still blocks out the heat and UV in summer significantly. I need to look more into that. We get 30+ days over 100 degrees here. Sometimes tipping 115 or so. I want things as dark as possible.
You can get a ceramic film applied to the windshield that is 60 or 70%. Looking at it, nobody would ever think it was tinted. I’ve had it on every car for the last decade or so and won’t be without it. The sun can be shining directly into the windshield and you cannot feel it on your skin. That feeling of getting a sunburn while driving is a thing of the past. I drive east in the morning to go to work and west in the evening to come home. It is something I deal with on almost every commute.
Sponsored

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
You can get a ceramic film applied to the windshield that is 60 or 70%. Looking at it, nobody would ever think it was tinted. I’ve had it on every car for the last decade or so and won’t be without it. The sun can be shining directly into the windshield and you cannot feel it on your skin. That feeling of getting a sunburn while driving is a thing of the past. I drive east in the morning to go to work and west in the evening to come home. It is something I deal with on almost every commute.
Thank you! I knew it was something but for the life of me I couldn't remember it. I'll look around and see if it's even offered anywhere here. Sounds like a worthy investment. I have no garage so everything just bakes in the sun.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Thank you! I knew it was something but for the life of me I couldn't remember it. I'll look around and see if it's even offered anywhere here. Sounds like a worthy investment. I have no garage so everything just bakes in the sun.
Overall, it will still be hot in the vehicle when you get in. The sun beating on the roof will eventually warm it up no matter what is on the windows. The good thing is that the heat coming in through the windows is almost eliminated and the UV is pretty much down to zero too. Also, while you are driving the A/C will not have to work as hard to keep it cool for you.

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
Overall, it will still be hot in the vehicle when you get in. The sun beating on the roof will eventually warm it up no matter what is on the windows. The good thing is that the heat coming in through the windows is almost eliminated and the UV is pretty much down to zero too. Also, while you are driving the A/C will not have to work as hard to keep it cool for you.
Oh I'm under no illusions that it won't be hot in the vehicle, but every little bit helps. Might not be as much of an issue on smaller rigs like the sport but that gigantic fish bowl windshield in my full size pickups puts a ton of heat into the cab. It's a massive difference just putting a shade up like I usually do but I'll take any measure I can to help. While driving you can feel the heat radiating off the damn thing.

dmac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sob small car
Have the tinting done by a professional shop. We have all seen what a DIY tint job looks like.. faded purple and be full of off-gas bubbles.

A professional shop will laser cut from templates for a perfect fit using the newest breathable materials (no off-gassing) and guarantee the installation.

Wife's 2014 Honda was tinted (Limo darkest on the back windows) immediately after purchase and it sits in the CA central valley sun every day. 8 years later it still looks perfect and so does the upholstery (no fading). The next owner will love it! :cool:

Her Badlands has shipped and will have all windows tinted Limo black behind driver immediately.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
I had the front windows and windshield eyebrow on my '23 OBX tinted last week After driving it, I have decided that the eyebrow is too low on the ends. Is it possible to mask off the bottom and cut it off with a x-acto knife while it is on the car. The other option is having the shop re-do it for me.

UPDATE: Took it back to the tint shop. They cut the eyebrow back for me with no charge. Very happy now with the results.
Ford Bronco Sport Window Tinting - do you need to remove the factory tint first? 100_6540.JPG
Ford Bronco Sport Window Tinting - do you need to remove the factory tint first? 100_6542.JPG

Last edited:

PugDad

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Lilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BSBL
If this is true, it is either a completely new kind of window tint or a completely incompetent installer.
As well it would never stand up to Canadian winters, with snow , ice , trying to get that crap off your windows it would be shedded in minutes,

AxlCllg

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My son's bike
Law enforcement cannot pull you over without a reason. It may be the patrolman thought you were drunk or high and they just wanted to check you out, the window tint gave them a reason to pull you over.

There's an interesting book by criminal defense and civil rights lawyer Harvey Silverglate with the title Three Felonies A Day which I learn here when I was doing research on the Supreme Court. In it, the author posits that criminal laws are become more numerous and more vague, making it likely that many people commit criminal offenses regularly without even knowing it. It's an interesting read.
About 90 percent of the pullovers for me are for no reason. The question "why?" usually leads to a harsher tone from the police officer, and I can do nothing about it. Thanks for the book, it looks like it's time to get more legal savvy.
I apologize for breaking into an old thread, but I couldn't find a more recent one. I got a fix-it ticket a week ago too and I feel it was unfair. Now this is a sore topic for me :(
Sponsored

Last edited: