Window Tinting - do you need to remove the factory tint first?

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
That's what I thought, but someone just commented that the tint is on the outside of the glass.
I haven't investigated. I just had the front doors and windshield done. I was satisfied with the tint on the rear doors and tailgate.
Have you ever seen or heard of window tint being applied to the outside of the glass?
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I used to do my own window tinting long ago.
The films and tints available today are much better than they used to be.

First off, the factory tint cannot be removed. It's part of the glass/window fabrication process.
Typically automotive tint is applied to the inside (interior) of the windows for durability.
Additional film tint can be applied to factory tinted glass, depending on tint percentage it will only make the glass appear darker.
If the film is improperly applied it can cause the glass to look cloudy, hazy or have bubbles between the film and glass.
I can see tinting the front driver side and passenger side windows to match the factory tinted windows, it would give the vehicle a more balanced look.
Some states motor vehicle laws do not allow tinting front driver side and passenger side windows as well as the front windshield. YMMV

Depending on performance (light/heat/protection) needs, interior and exterior window films are available for commercial and residential buildings.

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
20% front only to match it. I did 35% front only to save me trouble.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
20% front only to match it. I did 35% front only to save me trouble.
Living in New York State that's what I've done on my last 6 new cars. I'll do the same on my '23 OBX when it finally gets here. Technically it's against the law in NY, but I've never been stopped for it.

Alistar

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Living in New York State that's what I've done on my last 6 new cars. I'll do the same on my '23 OBX when it finally gets here. Technically it's against the law in NY, but I've never been stopped for it.
Two tones tinting is the best to "hide it". I got pull over a few years ago for not having the front license plate in a Mustang, with 35% front and 20% back tinting. Officer looked at the window but didn't notice it. The tinting shop even told me that they'll take it off for free if I ever get a fix ticket.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two tones tinting is the best to "hide it". I got pull over a few years ago for not having the front license plate in a Mustang, with 35% front and 20% back tinting. Officer looked at the window but didn't notice it. The tinting shop even told me that they'll take it off for free if I ever get a fix ticket.
If you live in a state that does not allow window tint on your front windows, or you have tinted your windows darker than the state allows, the first thing you should do when get pulled over is roll down both front windows. This is not to hide the fact that they are tinted but to give the officer a view (through your mirrors) inside the vehicle. This shows respect for the officer and they are likely to be more relaxed when they speak with you. And, have your hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 (passenger hands on the dash).

FakeCowboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford
If you live in a state that does not allow window tint on your front windows, or you have tinted your windows darker than the state allows, the first thing you should do when get pulled over is roll down both front windows. This is not to hide the fact that they are tinted but to give the officer a view (through your mirrors) inside the vehicle. This shows respect for the officer and they are likely to be more relaxed when they speak with you. And, have your hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2 (passenger hands on the dash).
This is good advice. I also roll down both rear windows for even better visibility for them and leave the front windows up just a little bit so that it doesn't seem like I'm trying to hide the fact that my front windows are tinted.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is good advice. I also roll down both rear windows for even better visibility for them and leave the front windows up just a little bit so that it doesn't seem like I'm trying to hide the fact that my front windows are tinted.
Good thinking, I'm coming from a 2-door, so I now have to remember the back doors too.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I was pulled over once by a California Highway Patrol motor officer. I did the roll down the window trick, he told me to raise the window then he knocked on the glass saying this stuff has to go. He wrote me a fix-it ticket.
Long story short, I had to remove the tint to clear the ticket.
Within a week I re-tinted the windows and was never pulled over again.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Within a week I re-tinted the windows and was never pulled over again.
Law enforcement cannot pull you over without a reason. It may be the patrolman thought you were drunk or high and they just wanted to check you out, the window tint gave them a reason to pull you over.

There's an interesting book by criminal defense and civil rights lawyer Harvey Silverglate with the title Three Felonies A Day. In it, the author posits that criminal laws are become more numerous and more vague, making it likely that many people commit criminal offenses regularly without even knowing it. It's an interesting read.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Law enforcement cannot pull you over without a reason. It may be the patrolman thought you were drunk or high and they just wanted to check you out, the window tint gave them a reason to pull you over.

There's an interesting book by criminal defense and civil rights lawyer Harvey Silverglate with the title Three Felonies A Day. In it, the author posits that criminal laws are become more numerous and more vague, making it likely that many people commit criminal offenses regularly without even knowing it. It's an interesting read.
In the scenario I posted about I was transitioning from one freeway over pass onto another freeway, the CHP motor officer paced me as I started to merge to the freeway he was on and pointed at me to pull over. He said he pulled me over because he couldn't see me, yes the was dark.

California law for tinted front side windows and front windshield is 70% VLT minimum, rear side windows and back windows are not limited, other than you need dual side mirrors.

Suzysparks

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura MDX Type S
The first thing I do when o buy a new car is get the windows tinted; especially being in Texas. Many of the dealers here will do it for you before taking delivery. They have tint guys who come do the cars for them, lifetime warranty’s, etc. I’ve never had an issue with any tint I’ve let a dealership do.

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
Got mine finally done on Tuesday. 35% on both front door windows, and darker eyebrow across top of windshield. I live in New York State and the installer put a mirror tag advising me that anything darker than 70% is against the law in New York.
Ford Bronco Sport Window Tinting - do you need to remove the factory tint first? 100_6784.JPG
Ford Bronco Sport Window Tinting - do you need to remove the factory tint first? 100_6786.JPG

Last edited:

IdahoDirtFarmer

Big Bend
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 ordered '23 sport
My first stop after mine arrives will be to the tint shop. Here we can only go 35% on front side windows, 20% on rear side windows, and 35% on rear glass. Nothing on windshield below 6". I thought I read on this forum somewhere that there's a coating you can put on the windshield that looks clear but still blocks out the heat and UV in summer significantly. I need to look more into that. We get 30+ days over 100 degrees here. Sometimes tipping 115 or so. I want things as dark as possible.
Sponsored