Will mountain bike fit inside without removing tires?

realworld51

Outer Banks
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Does the bike have to be at an angle (so you can't fit two) or it is just swinging that way in the pic?
I chose that configuration as the 2nd row seat back on the passenger side can be compressed a bit more when folded down than the driver side. This provides a bit more clearance for the bike seat. YMMV
Sponsored

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I chose that configuration as the 2nd row seat back on the passenger side can be compressed a bit more when folded down than the driver side. This provides a bit more clearance for the bike seat. YMMV
Maybe the center section is hung up on the seatbelt buckles? It still looks like the 2 bikes should fit.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
FWIW, Ford never claimed that even 1 bike, save 2, would fit without removing the front wheel and using their (Yakima) mount. And then, lots of us are "above-average-sized" so that our big frames (the bikes, that is) might not easily fit as 'projected.' I have a very large hybrid bike, I won't have a grudge with Ford if it doesn't fit. The rear seat cushion removal looks like a great, and easy strategy though. I'd line (carpet? rubber?) a perfectly contoured plywood replacement shelf with steel mounting loops that would insert into those white plastic receptacles on the seat frame -- maybe try for perfect alignment for a flat load floor front-to-back. There are probably even plastic 'C' clips that could grab the back of that tubular seat frame for more security (mount on the new 'shelf'). Even better, make a storage bag for the seat cushion and keep it in the back, there should be room.

Last edited:

JPK Omaha

First Name
JPK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner
Has anyone tried to lay a mountain or hybrid bike on its side, rear wheel against the front seatback, sprocket side up, with the front bike wheel toward the rear turned up at 90 degrees, without taking the front bike wheel off? I can do this in my 4runner just fine and the length of the Bronco Sport bed is only 4 inches shorter so it should be possible, except Bronco is narrower. I'm considering trading for a Bronco Sport but I use my bike almost daily and this is an important consideration for me.

Last edited:

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Has anyone tried to lay a mountain or hybrid bike on its side, rear wheel against the front seatback, sprocket side up, with the front bike wheel toward the rear turned up at 90 degrees, without taking the front bike wheel off? I can do this in my 4runner just fine and the length of the Bronco Sport bed is only 4 inches shorter so it should be possible, except Bronco is narrower
Great question, would be convenient -- but not a deal breaker. I'll be happy to fit my big hybrid bike in there at all, and lowering the seat + removing the front wheel are so easy, it's almost nothing.

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
This is with full-size spare tire that reduces vertical space a bit.
Ford Bronco Sport Will mountain bike fit inside without removing tires? C615BDA4-C6EF-49AD-A1D3-2885A61EC68F
I did something similar to this using an old Yakima Forklift and some scrap wood. I may end up just getting some roof crossbars in the future, but this works well enough for now.

This is how it looks. Mine does not have the full-size spare.

Ford Bronco Sport Will mountain bike fit inside without removing tires? IMG_0836

Last edited:

Geelloo90042

Badlands
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport-Badlands
In the next week or so, when my local dealer gets the interior bike rack installed on their demo (badlands without BL option). I plan to bring my Gf bike (small women's size) and my bike which is Large. Both 27.5 I want to see if it will fit both completely. Im also concerned how it will mount, because my fork is 15mm thru axle, and her's is the standard quick release. I'll post pictures when that happens
Update: 2-27.5 mtb bikes will not fit..only if they were small frame bikes. Seat post lowered all the way. This is my experience with the Bandlands trim. My 27.5 Large could not fit. Too tall. My girlfriends' bike did. My guess is if I had the other lower trims, then it might be possible with the lower trunk floor

fdes

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Update: 2-27.5 mtb bikes will not fit..only if they were small frame bikes. Seat post lowered all the way. This is my experience with the Bandlands trim. My 27.5 Large could not fit. Too tall. My girlfriends' bike did. My guess is if I had the other lower trims, then it might be possible with the lower trunk floor
I can’t even fit one 27.5 in the back of my badlands standing up. I have a small frame, but a 160mm fork so I had to lay on its side. My hitch is on now so I can now use my hitch rack.

Econoline

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BS BL Carbonized Gray, steelies+tow+360
If the rear wheel fits, then what's hitting, the lowered seat? Sounds like the fork mount is too far above the floor.

My Gen 1 Escape fits two large frame 29er's with seats lowered. My homemade fork mount is about 1" above floor.

billyz

Badlands
First Name
bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I have a 2021 trek FX4 Carbon road bike large frame with 27" tires and a badlands no bl pkg and it will fit in flat with both tires on and the front one turned 90 degrees

BroncoNerd

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I had to stop lurking and make an account to I can respond to this thread. I had no problem with this except for a couple times the handlebar rubber would rub the headliner on the way out if I was not paying attention. It was because of this I went with a Kuat V2 Transfer bike hitch rack

Ford Bronco Sport Will mountain bike fit inside without removing tires? E6053D99-EA92-4046-AAE3-5475898B24B3

Ford Bronco Sport Will mountain bike fit inside without removing tires? 4E7A7ABE-68D0-46C7-ABC3-4D8BE57B86A9

Central Jersey

Big Bend
First Name
Mordechai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport big Bend
I had to stop lurking and make an account to I can respond to this thread. I had no problem with this except for a couple times the handlebar rubber would rub the headliner on the way out if I was not paying attention. It was because of this I went with a Kuat V2 Transfer bike hitch rack

Ford Bronco Sport Will mountain bike fit inside without removing tires? E6053D99-EA92-4046-AAE3-5475898B24B3

Ford Bronco Sport Will mountain bike fit inside without removing tires? 4E7A7ABE-68D0-46C7-ABC3-4D8BE57B86A9
Welcome to the party . My bike doesn’t fit in the vehicle. I am waiting on a similar rack (Thule brand with FordPass points. But the same style rack )

Pinski66

Badlands
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger,
Thats a sweet looking Ford Courier!! I have a kuat sherpa. I like that you can lock the bikes to the carrier.

CallahanMan

Badlands
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra 2013 Rock Warrior
Ford Bronco Sport Will mountain bike fit inside without removing tires? 47956D17-0691-4912-A008-ACEF46609791
Super Celebration East two years ago. Fellow mountain biker and I had to check it it. My wife and Iwere so bummed to hear that it will only fit a 27.5. Not sure why if you are taking that wheel off, but he assured me. Maybe the back wheel? Big bummer

o0260o

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BroncoSport
Wheels always off. I had to trim the seat post on one of my bikes so the saddle can go all the way down.

Ford Bronco Sport Will mountain bike fit inside without removing tires? IMG_20210801_095128
Sponsored