Why doesn't auto climate control turn on the A/C?

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Just like the title says. Am I missing something? It's certainly not something wrong with my car because both of my BSs did this. If the A/C isn't on the ACC will not turn it on no matter how hot it is. No big deal, I just hit the button. But my Crosstrek wasn't like that so I was curious. And I can't just leave the A/C on because eventually I'll get in my car and start it one day and it will just be off again.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Broncette

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah, that's not right. With AUTO selected, the climate control system should turn on/off the A/C compressor as needed to maintain whatever temp you have selected.
This is my second Badlands and they were both like this. Does yours not do this? Today was 85 degrees and I gave it 5 minutes to come on and it didn't. The fan blows but it's not cold air.

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Hmmm…. Mine turns on the A/C about half the time. I’m still trying to figure out a pattern!

MJE

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Yours actually goes from off to on? Mine is only on if it was on already when I start the car.
Mine does as well. I didn’t see anything reading in the manual that states it, but the vehicle should kick on AC as needed to cool. It might be more or less aggressive depending on how many times you push the auto button (the 1-3 lights). Which might be a dumb question, you don’t have auto mode turned off do you? It’ll run in manual if you have any of the direction buttons pushed, change the fan speed, etc, otherwise all you can do is push the auto button for 1-3 lights depending on how much you want.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
It does come on, but it doesn't turn on the MAX A/C or the recirculate. Did you dial the desired temp down? If it doesn't come on, it's not operating right.

OP
OP
Broncette

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
It does come on, but it doesn't turn on the MAX A/C or the recirculate. Did you dial the desired temp down? If it doesn't come on, it's not operating right.
I tried turning it down to 60 last night and it didn't come on. I'm shocked I've had 2 now that operated the same way.

OP
OP
Broncette

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Mine does as well. I didn’t see anything reading in the manual that states it, but the vehicle should kick on AC as needed to cool. It might be more or less aggressive depending on how many times you push the auto button (the 1-3 lights). Which might be a dumb question, you don’t have auto mode turned off do you? It’ll run in manual if you have any of the direction buttons pushed, change the fan speed, etc, otherwise all you can do is push the auto button for 1-3 lights depending on how much you want.
I have it on auto and medium aggressiveness (2 lights). I guess I need to bring this up to the dealership then. Ugh.

• Sad
Reactions: MJE

magicbus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS BL+BL, Rivian R1T, Sprinter 3500 camper
Yours actually goes from off to on? Mine is only on if it was on already when I start the car.
Maybe that’s it, I just haven’t figured it out yet. In summer I mostly drive with my window and the sunroof open since we don’t have highways or much traffic.

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Ours is always on Auto & system comes on & cools when BS is started ( or heat if needed ), even remote start . it's worked like this since day one . I would bring it up with Ford , but I would also make sure it set correctly , from the owner manual , ya never know .

OP
OP
Broncette

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Ours is always on Auto & system comes on & cools when BS is started ( or heat if needed ), even remote start . it's worked like this since day one . I would bring it up with Ford , but I would also make sure it set correctly , from the owner manual , ya never know .
I noticed today if I change the Auto setting intensity the A/C will come on. But if I turn the A/C off, turn the climate control off completely and then back on A/C will not turn on. Can anyone else test this for me?

I do think remote start always turns my A/C on when appropriate. I just don't think to always use it in warm weather.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I noticed today if I change the Auto setting intensity the A/C will come on. But if I turn the A/C off, turn the climate control off completely and then back on A/C will not turn on. Can anyone else test this for me?
I just checked mine in the garage.
  1. Switch ignition to accessory (power on, engine off).
  2. Turn A/C off.
  3. Turn CC off.
  4. Turn CC on—A/C remains off.
  5. Push AUTO button, A/C turns on.
Here's what's happening: When you manually turn off A/C you are disengaging AUTO operation; the system is now in MANUAL operation and you must manage all functions. It will remain in MANUAL operation until you restore AUTO operation by pressing the AUTO button. When you engage AUTO operation the system takes over control of all functions and turns on A/C. Your system is working properly.

OP
OP
Broncette

Broncette

Badlands
First Name
Tracey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just checked mine in the garage.
  1. Switch ignition to accessory (power on, engine off).
  2. Turn A/C off.
  3. Turn CC off.
  4. Turn CC on—A/C remains off.
  5. Push AUTO button, A/C turns on.
Here's what's happening: When you manually turn off A/C you are disengaging AUTO operation; the system is now in MANUAL operation and you must manage all functions. It will remain in MANUAL operation until you restore AUTO operation by pressing the AUTO button. When you engage AUTO operation the system takes over control of all functions and turns on A/C. Your system is working properly.
I will leave A/C button on from here on out and see what happens. What I was finding in my last BS was that after a few trips my A/C would just eventually be off. And then it would never turn on automatically again. And I never turn auto off. I mean I'll completely turn climate control on and off depending on whether I just want to drive with my windows open. But I never ever ever switch to manual mode.