Carolo

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
I have the same prob driving manuals for 45 years. I've been working on Fabing a fake shifter that fits in the small hole between the two cup holders. I just need to get out to a junk yard to find a shifter to use, I want a Hurst with correct sweep. I use a water or soda bottle to rest my hand on sometimes but its not the same. BTW I've already been advised by the forum to drive with both hands on the wheel, hehe.
Do what ya did 45 years ago when the shifter was still on the steering column?:idea:

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
I like the rotary selector. It and the brake switch frees up a lot of space. Nice finally having a center cubby again.

I drove a stick from 1983 - 2015. Not supposed to rest hand on shifter with manual transmission.

Major Kong

Base
First Name
Major
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport aka "Spark Plug"
After thirty plus years of marriage, let’s just say my spouse is liking the free hand. :dance:
In High School, when on a date, I learned to shift my "57 Ranchero stick with my right foot, leaving my right hand free to................never mind.
lewd & lascivious :D

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus, 2022 Bronco Sport, 2023 Heritage 2 dr
I like the rotary selector. It and the brake switch frees up a lot of space. Nice finally having a center cubby again.

I drove a stick from 1983 - 2015. Not supposed to rest hand on shifter with manual transmission.
What is your reason for not resting your hand there? I started driving sticks when they were on the right side of the steering column. You typically left your hand on that as well. My 2006 Escape still has a stick and the knob is worn on the upper right. I’ve never had a failure or a problem. I suppose if all you did was highway driving and never shifting, keeping your away from the shifter and on the wheel may seem standard, but driving in town, you shift all the time. I still reach for it in some situations. It becomes ingrained. I never thought about having to shift, I just did it instinctively. But I have been driving sticks since the late 60’s.

Just curious as to the failure mode for leaving your hand hovering over the shift knob.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transferring pressure to the transmission through cables and linkage when resting hand on stick with manual transmission.

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transferring pressure to the transmission through cables and linkage when resting hand on stick with manual transmission.
Ok, thanks for the feedback. It’s never been an issue for me, but perhaps doing it so many years I was never really was pushing or pulling on the shifter.

dakman

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
Do what ya did 45 years ago when the shifter was still on the steering column?:idea:
My last car with three on the tree was a 64 Nova that I converted to a straight axled dual quad 427 with a Muncie 4 speed, hurst shifter on the floor. Learned to drive in a 67 bug at 14, always had hold of that dam rattly shifter.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't miss driving a stick as much as I thought I would. Do miss it some, though. My wife has an Austin. I'll put a battery in and get inspected. Really should run the gas through it when I get back from a trip next week. Pandemic stopped car shows. :(

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't miss driving a stick as much as I thought I would. Do miss it some, though. My wife has an Austin. I'll put a battery in and get inspected. Really should run the gas through it when I get back from a trip next week. Pandemic stopped car shows. :(
I do and I don’t as well. I’ve driven a stick since I learn to drive a ‘55 Chevy with a three on the tree. It has always been instinctive, or at least for the past 50 years or so. My wife’s car have always been automatics so it’s not that I don’t drive them. Took a bit after picking up my Badlands to get used to not having a stick to rest my hand on and still occasionally reach for it especially in in situations where I’d grab a gear to pass someone. Now it’s just stomp on the pedal. I do appreciate the 8 speed transmission compared to the transmission in my wife’s HRV. My last automatic was my ‘95 Lightning and there was no issue passing people with that. Funny part is the Badlands has more HP than the Lightning, but no comparison when it comes to seat pressing compared to the Lightning.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Ok, thanks for the feedback. It’s never been an issue for me, but perhaps doing it so many years I was never really was pushing or pulling on the shifter.
Same as riding around with a foot on the brake pedal. Bad habits

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! One more bad habit to add to my list!

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Thanks! One more bad habit to add to my list!
Had a buddy, wore out brakes every 10,000 miles while we all got 30, 40,000 miles.
He said, “ I just hold my foot over the brake but not on it so I’m ready”.
Well obviously like many he was bullchitting himself.
Turns out the only way to fix him was to teach him to look far ahead not right over the hood at the road.
Told him looking way ahead let him slow down time, told him it also widened his peripheral vision. Any that let him see things sooner and in this he would have more time to evaluate and react.
It was a profound change for him.
The quickest way out of trouble is not always braking but often very quick directional adjustments and that’s best with both hands on the wheel.
This Is The Way.

Last edited:

Escape2Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They said the same for the clutch pedal or holding down the clutch at a light. Did both to an extent and hadn’t replaced a clutch or throw out bearing since a kid and that was more due to side stepping the clutch at 4K rpm all the time while being an idiot kid.
Sponsored