Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Howdy. I don't know if I'd get something that solely relies on a battery. Especially if you've aired down, then don't have enough juice to air back up. I don't have experience with portable air compressors but have done a little research awhile back, I keep getting pulled to ARB or VIAIR compressors, that plug into your 12 volt outlet. ARB can be a bit on the spendy side, VIAIR a little more budget friendly. This might be one of those "buy once cry once" items, if you're going to do a fair amount of off-roading.

You also want a model that will air up in a fair amount of time, you don't want to spend a ton of your trail/camping time waiting. And, does this unit have a trigger lock?

How much time will you spend off-roading? If you're going to spend the day on bumpy rocky forest/fire roads then airing down makes the ride a bit smoother and gives more traction. But maybe not necessary for a short dirt road trip to a campsite.
ARB is good. Yes agree battery power not the way to go. I prefer the following…pricey, but considering all we dump into our tires, wheels and other upgrades, if you go off-road you can beat this. I like ones that connect directly to battery system.

ARB (CKMTP12) 12V Twin Motor High Performance Portable Air Compressor
Sponsored

OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2021 Ranger Tremor
Howdy. I don't know if I'd get something that solely relies on a battery. Especially if you've aired down, then don't have enough juice to air back up. I don't have experience with portable air compressors but have done a little research awhile back, I keep getting pulled to ARB or VIAIR compressors, that plug into your 12 volt outlet. ARB can be a bit on the spendy side, VIAIR a little more budget friendly. This might be one of those "buy once cry once" items, if you're going to do a fair amount of off-roading.

You also want a model that will air up in a fair amount of time, you don't want to spend a ton of your trail/camping time waiting. And, does this unit have a trigger lock?

How much time will you spend off-roading? If you're going to spend the day on bumpy rocky forest/fire roads then airing down makes the ride a bit smoother and gives more traction. But maybe not necessary for a short dirt road trip to a campsite.
Thank you for the reply. I see what you’re saying about it being a battery operated device - would definitely have to keep it charged. We had the one that hooks up to the 12 volt in the past, but it always seemed like a pain with the cord hanging out the window. I thought this would be something good to have in a pinch. Like for weather changes or emergencies. It’s also a quick inflate. Does not have a trigger lock though.

I’ve never been off-roading, but plan to do light trails/campsites.. nothing crazy.

OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for giving me more to obsess about. I always keep pressure around 33 didn’t know there was so much to it.
I’m learning all about this too…

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
ARB is good. Yes agree battery power not the way to go. I prefer the following…pricey, but considering all we dump into our tires, wheels and other upgrades, if you go off-road you can beat this. I like ones that connect directly to battery system.

ARB (CKMTP12) 12V Twin Motor High Performance Portable Air Compressor
As long as I'm at it, thinking about recovery gear, I'd add these to my bin: Air Down Kit and Tire repair kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075G1LJQ1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A2TA5N6PCE68C3&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CR4J3W/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

@KodiakMomCrawler, unless you plan on doing some off-roading yet this year, maybe you can hold off on this type of gear until spring, maybe some deals over winter.

I made myself a long list of overlanding gear that I want(ed) to get when the Bronco's were announced. I watched these forums and a ton of youtube videos. It made me step back and evaluate what my goals are and do I really need some of this gear. A little bit of time pondering all this probably saved me a ton of money, maybe. haha. Besides, we only have so much space in these vehicles.

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Thank you for the reply. I see what you’re saying about it being a battery operated device - would definitely have to keep it charged. We had the one that hooks up to the 12 volt in the past, but it always seemed like a pain with the cord hanging out the window. I thought this would be something good to have in a pinch. Like for weather changes or emergencies. It’s also a quick inflate. Does not have a trigger lock though.

I’ve never been off-roading, but plan to do light trails/campsites.. nothing crazy.
I see. I believe this unit would be great for a quick air-up or in a pinch. It has it's purpose.

OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as I'm at it, thinking about recovery gear, I'd add these to my bin: Air Down Kit and Tire repair kit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075G1LJQ1/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_10?smid=A2TA5N6PCE68C3&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CR4J3W/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

@KodiakMomCrawler, unless you plan on doing some off-roading yet this year, maybe you can hold off on this type of gear until spring, maybe some deals over winter.

I made myself a long list of overlanding gear that I want(ed) to get when the Bronco's were announced. I watched these forums and a ton of youtube videos. It made me step back and evaluate what my goals are and do I really need some of this gear. A little bit of time pondering all this probably saved me a ton of money, maybe. haha. Besides, we only have so much space in these vehicles.
Haha I can definitely see how easy it is to get carried away with all of this. Especially since being on the forum! I plan on taking my time and doing my research. Those two kits you linked are definitely good to have too. Thanks for all the help!

Brader2

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Hi everyone,

I'm reading some conflicting information regarding tire pressure. I went one size up in tires; should I still go by the recommended tire pressure stated on the inside door or what is shown on the new tire?
I previously had Michelin Primacy A/S 225/60/18 and now upgraded to BF Goodrich Trail Terrain T/A 235/60/18.

Thank you all for the help!

Ford Bronco Sport What Tire Pressure in New Tires? Resized_20211009_133513
Are you familiar with the chalk test to check tire pressure on your tires after upsized tires are installed? If not familiar with this…check out videos on YouTube.

OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you familiar with the chalk test to check tire pressure on your tires after upsized tires are installed? If not familiar with this…check out videos on YouTube.
I haven’t heard of this. I’ll definitely check it out - thanks!

VirtualJMills

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I haven’t heard of this. I’ll definitely check it out - thanks!
Tire crayon / grease-pencil works as well. Anything that'll abrade-off again in a reasonable amount of time.

This is a low-tech way of doing contact-patch analysis, which is a surrogate for zoned tread-block temperature analysis (typically on-track tyres).

Brader2

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tire crayon / grease-pencil works as well. Anything that'll abrade-off again in a reasonable amount of time.

This is a low-tech way of doing contact-patch analysis, which is a surrogate for zoned tread-block temperature analysis (typically on-track tyres).
Even though it might be considered “low tech”. It’s worked for me for years and with properly balanced wheels and tires…they will wear evenly if rotated on a regular basis as well.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Most any of the larger size tires are rated to carry more weight than the standard 225 size BS tires. With that, you can basically run the factory recomended 33psi and not have any issues.
Or if your sporty, you can go through one or all of the posted processes to optimize the contact patch as well as ride, handling and wear.
I currently run 33psi with my 245/65/17 Falken Rubitrek tires, no issues in 7k miles.

Brader2

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most any of the larger size tires are rated to carry more weight than the standard 225 size BS tires. With that, you can basically run the factory recomended 33psi and not have any issues.
Or if your sporty, you can go through one or all of the posted processes to optimize the contact patch as well as ride, handling and wear.
I currently run 33psi with my 245/65/17 Falken Rubitrek tires, no issues in 7k miles.
What pressure are they when cold?
Sponsored