Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Outer Banks, 2021 Ranger Tremor
Hi everyone,

I'm reading some conflicting information regarding tire pressure. I went one size up in tires; should I still go by the recommended tire pressure stated on the inside door or what is shown on the new tire?
I previously had Michelin Primacy A/S 225/60/18 and now upgraded to BF Goodrich Trail Terrain T/A 235/60/18.

Thank you all for the help!

Ford Bronco Sport What Tire Pressure in New Tires? Resized_20211009_133513
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
Hi everyone,

I'm reading some conflicting information regarding tire pressure. I went one size up in tires; should I still go by the recommended tire pressure stated on the inside door or what is shown on the new tire?
I previously had Michelin Primacy A/S 225/60/18 and now upgraded to BF Goodrich Trail Terrain T/A 235/60/18.

Yep use the data plate in the door jam, cold, no sun on just a few tires, Use a good digital gage. I’ve never seen even good pencil gages be very close with 2 to 4 psi + or - …. They are no good.
I’m so ADHD I set mine to 34 and blip out tiny bits of air just until my digital gage drops to 33 psi..
That so I won’t have 32.3 or 32.6
Yep, imma bit crazy like that :.P
Spending a whole day off the pavement, but nothing crazy ?
I’d prolly drop your size to 25 psi.

retiredguy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport BB , 2020 Ecosport, 2017 Escape
Brought my car to the dealer for an oil change. When the oil change and tire rotation was complete, all four tires had a different pressure. I had to use a gauge and set the correct pressure myself.

OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep use the data plate in the door jam, cold, no sun on just a few tires, Use a good digital gage. I’ve never seen even good pencil gages be very close with 2 to 4 psi + or - …. They are no good.
I’m so ADHD I set mine to 34 and blip out tiny bits of air just until my digital gage drops to 33 psi..
That so I won’t have 32.3 or 32.6
Yep, imma bit crazy like that :.P
Spending a whole day off the pavement, but nothing crazy ?
I’d prolly drop your size to 25 psi.
I hear you - I have OCD with this stuff and my husband is even crazier than me with making sure things are exact lol … That is good to know. The tire place put them on 37 and it didn’t feel right on the pavement. Thank you for the help ?

OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brought my car to the dealer for an oil change. When the oil change and tire rotation was complete, all four tires had a different pressure. I had to use a gauge and set the correct pressure myself.
This has happened to me before too… not sure why they would do that. It’s good you checked it!

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Hi everyone,

Awesome, made your tire decision! Double check BF Goodrich website for their recommended psi, but odd I could not find much on the Trail Terrain. It's a pretty new model introduced this year. (). At 3:00 he talks about psi.

Check the sidewall for psi (careful that might be max psi). Also depends on vehicle weight (3400-3700 lbs), plus people, plus gear, on/off pavement... I imagine standard everyday pavement driving will just be vehicle weight plus 1-4 people. Winter time maybe deflate a bit for more traction in snow. With all that, I'd guesstimate 36-42 for a comfortable ride.

I have my Wildpeaks at 36 now but will up it close to 40 to see if I can get better mileage. I don't want to go too high, then you get a rougher ride. Of course this is all my opinion.

Rgill

Badlands
First Name
Vegas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Dealers can be a pain with tire pressure. I have a sports car that came stock with diferrent size tires and pressures front to back on purpose. 33 front and 41 back. Picked it up one day after service and the techs had set them all to 41. Grrrr. Called service manager and gave him a piece of my mind. Next time around got perfect pressure when I checked. Tire pressure is an art form almost depending on season, load, use, etc. just don’t exceed max and find that sweet spot for what you are doing. Get a good air compressor also and keep that in BS so if you every need to air down then up or just add a few pounds just because it is there for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, made your tire decision! Double check BF Goodrich website for their recommended psi, but odd I could not find much on the Trail Terrain. It's a pretty new model introduced this year. (). At 3:00 he talks about psi.

Check the sidewall for psi (careful that might be max psi). Also depends on vehicle weight (3400-3700 lbs), plus people, plus gear, on/off pavement... I imagine standard everyday pavement driving will just be vehicle weight plus 1-4 people. Winter time maybe deflate a bit for more traction in snow. With all that, I'd guesstimate 36-42 for a comfortable ride.

I have my Wildpeaks at 36 now but will up it close to 40 to see if I can get better mileage. I don't want to go too high, then you get a rougher ride. Of course this is all my opinion.
Thank you for your insight! I did the tires yesterday - I will take better pics of them on my BS once the weather clears up over here.
I actually did see that video in the past when I was deciding between which tires to go with, but I will definitely watch it again for the psi. I didn't know that you can play with the pressure depending on your needs, weather, and where you're driving. The tire place filled them to around 37-38 and I felt a difference in them, almost a little too hard. We took them back down to 33 and it seems to be better. But again, I'll watch that clip to see what he says about the psi. Thanks again for all the feedback - I appreciate it!

OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealers can be a pain with tire pressure. I have a sports car that came stock with diferrent size tires and pressures front to back on purpose. 33 front and 41 back. Picked it up one day after service and the techs had set them all to 41. Grrrr. Called service manager and gave him a piece of my mind. Next time around got perfect pressure when I checked. Tire pressure is an art form almost depending on season, load, use, etc. just don’t exceed max and find that sweet spot for what you are doing. Get a good air compressor also and keep that in BS so if you every need to air down then up or just add a few pounds just because it is there for you.
That is so irritating - you would think that they would be more particular about the psi in tires. I had sports cars in the past and I remember having two separate front/back pressures. It's helpful how cars come equipped with digital monitors today too.
I am starting to see the art in tire pressure. The tire place had mine on 37-38 and it felt very hard on the road. We took some air out to 33 (the recommendation on the door) and it feels much better. I'll definitely play with it as I get more comfortable. We have a compressor at the house, but I'm starting to think a mobile one will be helpful too. Thanks for all the help!

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
Thank you for your insight! I did the tires yesterday - I will take better pics of them on my BS once the weather clears up over here.
I actually did see that video in the past when I was deciding between which tires to go with, but I will definitely watch it again for the psi. I didn't know that you can play with the pressure depending on your needs, weather, and where you're driving. The tire place filled them to around 37-38 and I felt a difference in them, almost a little too hard. We took them back down to 33 and it seems to be better. But again, I'll watch that clip to see what he says about the psi. Thanks again for all the feedback - I appreciate it!
I believe the guy in the video says he runs his at 32psi... then yes air up/down for off-roading etc.

You've modded your BS! You're on your way to lots of fun! Enjoy!

OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I believe the guy in the video says he runs his at 32psi... then yes air up/down for off-roading etc.

You've modded your BS! You're on your way to lots of fun! Enjoy!
Thank you so much! Yes, I’m very excited ?

OP
OP
KodiakMomCrawler

KodiakMomCrawler

Outer Banks
First Name
Maria
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rgill
@dejones64
@Osco
I’m very tempted to get this… it’s battery powered so you can leave it in your car.

Ford Bronco Sport What Tire Pressure in New Tires? D0E65E8F-7D7E-4EC2-9FE3-4B293F7F9A14

dejones64

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer, BS BB
@Rgill
@dejones64
@Osco
I’m very tempted to get this… it’s battery powered so you can leave it in your car.

Ford Bronco Sport What Tire Pressure in New Tires? D0E65E8F-7D7E-4EC2-9FE3-4B293F7F9A14
Howdy. I don't know if I'd get something that solely relies on a battery. Especially if you've aired down, then don't have enough juice to air back up. I don't have experience with portable air compressors but have done a little research awhile back, I keep getting pulled to ARB or VIAIR compressors, that plug into your 12 volt outlet. ARB can be a bit on the spendy side, VIAIR a little more budget friendly. This might be one of those "buy once cry once" items, if you're going to do a fair amount of off-roading.

You also want a model that will air up in a fair amount of time, you don't want to spend a ton of your trail/camping time waiting. And, does this unit have a trigger lock?

How much time will you spend off-roading? If you're going to spend the day on bumpy rocky forest/fire roads then airing down makes the ride a bit smoother and gives more traction. But maybe not necessary for a short dirt road trip to a campsite.
Sponsored