What is Ford Using for Brake Pads???? OMG the Dust!!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I don’t think you have all that stopping power vs. dust vs. noise arguments right. Here is a chart from RockAuto:
I think we've had this discussion before; I'm not sure why different sites list different properties. I'm just going from my own experience as confirmed at the link I supplied:

The pros and cons of metallic brake pads are as follows:
  • Metallic pads last longer than organic pads.
  • Metals are a great conductor of heat. That’s why metallic brake pads can withstand more heat and help cool down the braking system faster.
  • Metallic pads can perform well in a wider range of temperatures and conditions.
  • Metallic pads don’t compress as much as organic brakes. That means the brakes react more quickly when you step on the pedal.
  • Metallic pads produce more brake dust than organic and ceramic pads.
  • Metallic pads are noisier than organic pads.
  • Metallic pads can wear rotors more quickly
The pros and cons of organic brake pads are as follows:
  • Organic brake pads are quieter than metallic pads.
  • Organic brake pads produce less dust than metallic pads.
  • Organic brake pads offer a great initial bite during braking.
  • Organic brake pads fade faster than metallic or ceramic brake pads.
  • Organic brake pads don’t perform as well as metallic pads in wet conditions.
I've replaced a lot of brake pads over the years, on cars, motorcycles, and aircraft. My experience mirrors the pros and cons of different pad materials listed above.

Organic pads are usually best for most daily driving situations. They're cheap, relatively quiet, and don't wear out rotors as fast. You gotta change 'em more often, but I'd rather replace the pads more often than the rotors. I can usually go through two or more sets of organic pads before I have to do anything with the rotors. If I use metallic pads they make more dust, and the rotors need attention just about every time you replace the pads. I can't use anything other than metallic on the plane because I need the stopping power (I fly from a short runway with a fast airplane).
Sponsored

Last edited:

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
$110 for a full set of ceramic pads from RockAuto.
Thanks ! I've always ordered entry level ceramics from Rock Auto. as replacements on my Jeeps. NEVER a problem. I'm just so opposed to doing it right now on a brand new $32K car with 900 miles on it.

Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Thanks ! I've always ordered entry level ceramics from Rock Auto. as replacements on my Jeeps. NEVER a problem. I'm just so opposed to doing it right now on a brand new $32K car with 900 miles on it.
I just look at it like any other modification to fit my wants/needs. I replaced my pads with 140 miles on the clock. If the dealer had been in Denver instead of Colorado Springs, I would have replaced them with about 50 miles on the clock. If Ford had not “road tested” my BS, they would have been replaced with 10-15 miles. I think the ceramic pads are a good balance of noise/dust/braking power.

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
Same problem with my new Bronco Sport (Badlands). Bought mine 3 months ago and only have 2,000 miles on it. The brake dust has changed my front wheel color to a rusty brown. Really fine powder is hard to clean and comes back in a couple of days. I don't ride the brake so it shouldn't be this bad (IMO).

Was thinking about going to the dealer and asking if there's a problem. Shouldn't have to buy new pads on a brand new car. How come other cars don't have this much dust? Maybe it will go away after a little more driving?
I think you know in your heart that it's NOT going to go away with the pads you have.

petegee77

Big Bend
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport
I called my dealer today about the brake dust. They are WELL aware of it having received many complaints. They blame static and suggested washing the wheels real good then drying them. After that spray the wheels with fabric static guard. Worth a shot I suppose.
Sponsored