What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today?

RushMan

Badlands
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Shadow Black Badlands
Installed LED turn signal bulbs this morning. I tried 4 different ones, and shot some video with the Hazards on for comparison, and did frame grabs and cropped them to a comparable size.
Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? LED Turn signal comparison 02

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? LED Taill ight comparison

The stock Halogen is on the left in each of these photos. The camera was on a tripod with a remote Bluetooth trigger.
I didn't catch that the headlights were on for some of these pictures. Every time you close the door and reopen, the headlight switch changes back to Auto mode.
I installed the Alopee 912s. I think the Alla 912s may be too bright. The reasoning for buying all these bulbs: I don't want to blind cars following.
Oddly, the largest and most expensive ones were dimmer than the stock Halogen bulbs.

I find it strange the right side Halogen appears brighter than the left side.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
Omg where my computer at 🤯

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_2088
That is a sealed connector and ECU electronic box but it is unknown how long can remain submerged before is damaged.

Likely submerged for a “short” time is ok but “too much time” is not ok. There are posts on Bronco Sport Forum showing the damage if submerged (for “too long”) but the owners did not say for how long the connectors(s) and electronic box(s) were submerged.

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
That is a sealed connector and ECU electronic box but it is unknown how long can remain submerged before is damaged.

Likely submerged for a “short” time is ok but “too much time” is not ok. There are posts on Bronco Sport Forum showing the damage if submerged (for “too long”) but the owners did not say for how long the connectors(s) and electronic box(s) were submerged.
true that’s why I did wove the electronic box in the top of the air box, little bit work yes few hours but I think it’s worth it

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
true that’s why I did move the electronic box to the top of the air box, little bit work yes few hours but I think it’s worth it
I think I recall you or someone moving it… did you take a video or some good pics of the steps you did?

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I think I recall you or someone moving it… did you take a video or some good pics of the steps you did?
not many pics
I did use original wiring set , unplugged and moved that up and unlock many clips, moved ground wire 10cm higer

I did use also original bracket that hold the electronic box, just changed so it fits

im gonna make quick release so i will be able to get quick in the air filter box

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_2087

Ford Bronco Sport What did you do TO your Bronco Sport today? IMG_2086

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks good

did your vehicle have two connectors and the one ECU electronic box in the OEM position at the drivers side front fender area (left front fender)?

I recall a large connector sort of facing the front of the vehicle and just behind that connector was the ECU electronic box with its connector. Is that how the factory installed it?

if so did you move both connectors and the ECU electronic box into the engine compartment?

and did you have issues with the existing wiring length that prevented moving both connectors and the ECU? I’m assuming the length of the wires were enough to allow you to mount where you did in the engine compartment?

Last edited:

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Looks good

did your vehicle have two connectors and the one ECU electronic box in the OEM position at the drivers side fender area?

I recall a large connector sort of facing the front of the vehicle and just behind that connector was the ECU electronic box with its connector. Is that how the factory installed it?

if so did you move both connectors and the ECU electronic box into the engine compartment?

and did you have issues with the existing wiring length that prevented moving both connectors and the ECU? I’m assuming the length of the wires were enough to allow you to mount where you did in the engine compartment?
yes correct one box two connectors

it was in left front fender

yes i did

Small issue, I have to loosen some clips that hold the wiring, unplug the cable and move around then plug together,

the big cable goes on the left side and up
Smaller cable go under the headlight and up

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes correct one box two connectors

it was in left front fender

yes i did

Small issue, I have to loosen some clips that hold the wiring, unplug the cable and move around then plug together,

the big cable goes on the left side and up
Smaller cable go under the headlight and up
That is great there was enough cable length allowing you to reposition the ECU electronic box up and into the engine compartment so that the box and its 2 connectors are much safer from being submerged in water. Other owners implied the cable length was insufficient which is incorrect.

now for some not so good comments. Sorry but I was an automative engineer with GM and designed various electronic boxes so have familiarity with typical automotive connectors, ECUs and other electronic boxes as well as the environmentals..,

The engine compartment is an extreme environment, two extremes are

Heat (likely is much hotter in the engine compartment than where the OEM box was mounted around the left side front fender).

Vibration: the OEM location for the ECU positioned the ECU vertically, in your pic the ECU is mounted horizontally, and it’s not clear how securely the mounting is now relative to the left side front vendor mount. Horizontal mount will have different characteristics than vertical mount.

There are a few other potential issues as well.

Not saying at all that you will or will not have issues with the ECU relocation and you may never hit extremes that others might .. say in a desert environment where ground temp exceeds 120°F+ or in extreme cold or under high vibration conditions like off roading.

On the good side, the ECU and its 2 connectors are now far better protected from submersion.

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
That is great there was enough cable length allowing you to reposition the ECU electronic box up and into the engine compartment so that the box and its 2 connectors are much safer from being submerged in water. Other owners implied the cable length was insufficient which is incorrect.

now for some not so good comments. Sorry but I was an automative engineer with GM and designed various electronic boxes so have familiarity with typical automotive connectors, ECUs and other electronic boxes as well as the environmentals..,

The engine compartment is an extreme environment, two extremes are

Heat (likely is much hotter in the engine compartment than where the OEM box was mounted around the left side front fender).

Vibration: the OEM location for the ECU positioned the ECU vertically, in your pic the ECU is mounted horizontally, and it’s not clear how securely the mounting is now relative to the left side front vendor mount. Horizontal mount will have different characteristics than vertical mount.

There are a few other potential issues as well.

Not saying at all that you will or will not have issues with the ECU relocation and you may never hit extremes that others might .. say in a desert environment where ground temp exceeds 120°F+ or in extreme cold or under high vibration conditions like off roading.

On the good side, the ECU and its 2 connectors are now far better protected from submersion.
Engine heat yes well i hope it will not happen good that’s you notice that

i can always put some air to it , put some extra air hose to it im gonna do that ,

Its not so hot here in Iceland but hot engines and hot electric box is not good blend 🙂

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Engine heat yes well i hope it will not happen good that’s you notice that

i can always put some air to it , put some extra air hose to it im gonna do that ,

Its not so hot here in Iceland but hot engines and hot electric box is not good blend 🙂
Iceland?? Ok never mind lol

how about the horizontal mount vibration?

Rhel

Badlands
First Name
Rögnvaldur
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Iceland?? Ok never mind lol

how about the horizontal mount vibration?
i can buy stabilitzer under the bracket , something that they are using for cameras then she’s always like floating

I don’t know if it’s matter she is in like 20 degrees up

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i can buy stabilitzer under the bracket , something that they are using for cameras then she’s always like floating

I don’t know if it’s matter she is in like 20 degrees up
Seems unlikely in Iceland you would have heat issues on that ECU in the engine compartment. My comment was for those following your footsteps who live in warm to excessively hot climates. 🔥

Vibration of electrical components is a design concern but I would have no way to know for sure your mounting is any worse and could actually be better.

Ford would have tested along with the 450,000+ Bronco Sport owners where the ECU is mounted in the OEM position in the left front fender area.
Sponsored