The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Has anyone heard an updates on which engine(s) the Sport will be getting?

....... and with the NY Auto Show being delayed, it would be nice if FoMoCo would drop us a few more bread crumbs on this ....... :bandit:
Sponsored

Bertman

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon TDI, 1972 VW Super Beetle, Suzuki Burgman
Ford: please give us an AWD plug in hybrid the very first year. I can guarantee you at least one sold unit.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
I would have guaranteed one sold unit had it had a manual tranny, Hoping for it to be a niche vehicle and not lost in crowd of similars.
Driving a manual is part of the fun, regardless of raw performance numbers. Not everyone is stuck in urban congestion.

zackmd1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3 daily
Ford: please give us an AWD plug in hybrid the very first year. I can guarantee you at least one sold unit.
The lack of hybrid options existing in the ordering system is worrying to me.... I am tired of these damn "delayed" launches for hybrid models Ford is pulling... Just release them all at once.

Jomo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
The lack of hybrid options existing in the ordering system is worrying to me.... I am tired of these damn "delayed" launches for hybrid models Ford is pulling... Just release them all at once.
Ford delayed the hybrid release with the Escape and it was available a few months after the launch. The delay may be an assembly line issue as there are quite a lot of changes with a hybrid. The version Ford needs to get hustling on is the PHEV. The 302 hp, 39 mile EV range, AWD, RAV4 PHEV is going to be available this summer and take a lot of potential customers that don't want to wait. At least the 266hp AWD PHEV from the Corsair is needed ASAP. Better yet, a bigger battery to meet or exceed the 39 mile EV range and/or max out the federal rebate.

zackmd1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3 daily
Ford delayed the hybrid release with the Escape and it was available a few months after the launch. The delay may be an assembly line issue as there are quite a lot of changes with a hybrid. The version Ford needs to get hustling on is the PHEV. The 302 hp, 39 mile EV range, AWD, RAV4 PHEV is going to be available this summer and take a lot of potential customers that don't want to wait. At least the 266hp AWD PHEV from the Corsair is needed ASAP. Better yet, a bigger battery to meet or exceed the 39 mile EV range and/or max out the federal rebate.
Agreed. The Lincoln PHEV system, Area 51 with the active orange accents (depending on how they look) would be my preferred configuration but if its going to take tell the middle of next year to get it then forget it...

OP
OP
FirstOnRaceDay

FirstOnRaceDay

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, 2017 Honda Civic, 2019.5 Chevy Silverado
Ford, please give me a naturally aspirated 2.0 litre with manual trans!

Ain’t never going to happen. The only new ford that has a n/A motor is the GT Mustang and 3.3 and 5.0 f-150 (which are their worst two selling gas motors)

Every thing else is hybrid or turbo.

And manuals are dead. Even the Ford Focus has it as an OPTION on the Focus ST. The 7speed auto is better selling.

The 1.5 turbo motor is a much better motor than the 2.0 n/a similar power and A BOAT LOAD more torque

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Ford, please give me a naturally aspirated 2.0 litre with manual trans!
That would have been my pick too! I'm fortunate to have my 2016 CX-5 with a 6-speed manual. As much as I prefer the shape and utility of the Sport, it will be hard for me to do a slushbox.

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
Does the 2.0L have traditional dipsticks for oil and ATF?

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I agree with Devin.

I know the Bronco Sport has just hit the dealers, and I’m sure sales are great, but I’ve already been thinking about a future model(s) I think Ford needs to build (I can’t help myself..)

Being an off-road vehicle in the USA means having a transfer case and being able to rock crawl, But I think of rally/Baja type of off-roading. So, while the “big Bronco” has the crawling thing covered, I would build a Dakar model Bronco sport. To do this I would fit the 2.3-liter engine. I know it would drop in because it fits the Lincoln Corsair, which is just a tarted-up escape. This engine can be tuned to deliver 280 – 320 hp (with 355 ft lbs with the Ford dealer installed performance kit, only $825!). With this amount of power, the sport would really live up to its name!!

If Ford wanted this little sled to do all things off-road, I would install the 10-speed tranny that the 2.3 is often paired with, but I would make one other change. I would turn 1st gear into a “crawl” ratio. I would reprogram the tranny to operate gears 2 – 10 during normal operations and leave 1st Locked out unless it is manually engaged, much like the 7-speed manual on the Big Bronco operates. It might not be the mountain goat its big brother is but that’s probably a good thing. I’d guess this would push the price up to the $38 – $40k range.

Again, I’d name it the Dakar or Rallie. With the upcoming high-performance version of the Big Bronco being named Warthog, I guess you could call it the piglet….

You know jeep is going to jam its 2.0 turbo four into its renegade thing now that the BS is here. FCA can't engineer its way out of a paper bag, so it just jams bigger engines into its outdated products trying to stay relevant

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
If you wish for a bronco trim msrp to start at 38-40k and want low range and a 2.3L why not get a 4 dr bronco instead of a bronco sport?

Why does the bronco sport need to offer something the 2/4 dr bronco offers? Do you just like the style of the sport more than the 2/4 dr?

I keep hearing this claim that an off-road vehicle means having a low range. That’s if you define all possibly drivable terrain as only pavement or boulders. The is so much in between including terrain that’s not pavement (off-road).

An off-road vehicle doesn’t need to have a low range, it needs to be a vehicle that was designed to be effective off-road. Although “automotive enthusiasts” (or whatever they like to be called) believe off-road vehicles need to be designed to be ultimate rock crawlers with a low range, that’s just one type of off-road vehicle even though some want to believe it’s the only type worthy of such a name.

The bronco sport does just fine off-road with the power and systems it has now. Not everyone wants to slowly roll over a giant rock. Some people just want to drive “off” road.

I agree with you! I said IF Ford wanted to make it apeal to all people. It makes more sense to me to just drop in the 2.3/10speed tranny as-is (no low range). That route means almost no re-engineering, So lower costs. If thats too much power for your needs, then don't buy it, but many car people like power, so give us the choice. before everything goes electric!

Sergeant Gearhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I like the idea of a 2.3 EB in the Bronco Sport. If Ford ever does this, they should drop the same motor in the Escape and we'd have the perfect Escape ST that everyone's been talking about lately. I mean, the Lincoln Corsair (which also rides on the C2 platform) gets the 2.3 as an option, so we do know that this engine fits on the platform. 270 horsepower feels too little for a performance SUV, so maybe somewhere is the neighborhood of 300-320 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque ought to do it for me. And as for what Ford would call the new addition to the BS family, it's unlikely they'd call it a Raptor. Might I suggest Bronco Sport Timberline (like what they're doing with the Explorer)?

Sparky

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Ford Explorer Sport, 16 VW Beetle Convertible
I like the idea of a 2.3 EB in the Bronco Sport. If Ford ever does this, they should drop the same motor in the Escape and we'd have the perfect Escape ST that everyone's been talking about lately. I mean, the Lincoln Corsair (which also rides on the C2 platform) gets the 2.3 as an option, so we do know that this engine fits on the platform. 270 horsepower feels too little for a performance SUV, so maybe somewhere is the neighborhood of 300-320 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque ought to do it for me. And as for what Ford would call the new addition to the BS family, it's unlikely they'd call it a Raptor. Might I suggest Bronco Sport Timberline (like what they're doing with the Explorer)?
It may fit on the platform but the Badlands power train is much different. It is possible the 2.3 EB may be to much power for the power train to handle. I don't know that as fact but I know that the 2.0 can already overheat the power train.

DanielFE

First Edition
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport FE
Have a very new Bronco Sport FE with the 2.0 and although i have barely driven it since picking it up on Christmas Eve it's certainly no slouch in the acceleration department.

This is my first SUV ever and my usual car suspects are the German kind; Audi, BMW, Mini etc., so i genuinely wasn't expecting anything particularly quick.

I would never turn down reliable extra power but i think a bigger motor in the Bronco Sport would get people in trouble quickly. High-ish ground clearance, short-ish wheelbase and an off-road suspension designed for comfort don't really mate that well with high horsepower. It would be a whole new animal in the engineering department. Most of the sport variants of the established SUVs are closer to the ground with super stiff suspensions for spirited on road commuting. Hence my personal purchase of the Bronco Sport vs an Audi SQ5.

My guess is that the 0-60times on these will be well under 7 seconds.
Sponsored