Update on the 1.5L drain hose recall from NHTSA.

California Big Bend

Big Bend
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So I had the recall done on my BB last year. About a weak ago I had a check engine light come on, throwing out code PO420. Come to find out my injectors where leaking and caused my catalytic converter to go bad and be replaced along with the injectors. I thought the point of the recall was for the car to put itself in some fail safe mode if the injectors started to leak or something. Correct me if I'm wrong
Sponsored

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Good article. With more details …
From the article:

Ford said the SUVs have fuel injectors that will crack...
I don't think that's correct. All the versions of this recall I've read say that injectors MAY crack, which is true of any fuel injector.

In its letter, the NHTSA is asking Ford to send the agency details about the fuel injector fix, including any testing the company conducted to verify that their remedy resolved the fuel injector problem and the question of whether hardware repairs were needed. NHTSA is also asking the company to explain any other remedies that were considered and any cost-benefit analysis the company did when it selected the fix.

The agency also wants to know how much fuel will leak and whether the amount complies with federal environmental and safety standards. It also wants to hear Ford's take on "its obligations (legal, ethical, environmental and other) to prevent and/or limit fuel leakage onto the roadway at any point during a vehicle's lifespan."

NHTSA is also asking Ford to detail how the software will detect a fuel pressure drop, how much time elapses between cracking and detection, and what messages will be sent to the driver. It also asks what effect disabling the high-pressure fuel pump has on other fuel system parts, and how the SUVs will perform when the pump is disabled.

Ford has to provide the requested information to NHTSA by June 21, the letter said. Depending on the results of its investigation, the agency can seek additional repairs that fix the fuel leaks.
Why didn't the NHTSA ask all these questions before it approved Ford's resolution for the LAST version of this recall?

Reactions: ZQ8

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
There’s plenty of blame going around

Like with most technical issues, new information comes to light and that changes the way forward and shines a light on decisions made in the past that in hindsight may not have been the best

The important thing is to focus on a proper solution whatever that may be

WolfgnagVTS

Big Bend
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
My wife’s ‘22 Bronco Sport is scheduled to have the injectors replaced tomorrow. The drain tube was installed on Friday. Hopefully all goes well.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My wife’s ‘22 Bronco Sport is scheduled to have the injectors replaced tomorrow. The drain tube was installed on Friday. Hopefully all goes well.
How many injections cracked and leaked?

WolfgnagVTS

Big Bend
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2022 Ford Bronco Sport
How many injections cracked and leaked?
None that I’m aware of. My wife received the recall notice for her BS through the FordPass app late last week…Thursday I think. I took it in for an oil change that same day and mentioned the recall to the service manager. He had me bring it Friday morning for an inspection. They installed the drain tube and ordered the injectors then. I haven’t noticed any fuel smells in or around the vehicle but the service manager said that after the inspection they would be replacing the fuel injectors.

Hopefully it’s just a preemptive measure.

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None that I’m aware of. My wife received the recall notice for her BS through the FordPass app late last week…Thursday I think. I took it in for an oil change that same day and mentioned the recall to the service manager. He had me bring it Friday morning for an inspection. They installed the drain tube and ordered the injectors then. I haven’t noticed any fuel smells in or around the vehicle but the service manager said that after the inspection they would be replacing the fuel injectors.
No fuel leak and no gasoline smell but the dealership is replacing all 3 fuel injectors. It just seemed odd because customer satisfaction program 22N18 stated there needed to be evidence but perhaps there is a new service procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Has recall 22573 been completed on this vehicle?
No - Please complete 22573 before continuing with this program.
Yes - Continue to Step 2.

2. Is there a presence of a strong raw fuel odor, leaking high pressure fuel injectors or evidence of fuel dripping from the drain tube that was installed under 22S73?
No - Continue to Step 3.
Yes - Continue to Step 4.

3. Is DTC P0087 present?
No - This program does not apply.
Yes - Continue to Step 4.

4. Replace all 3 high-pressure fuel injectors. Follow Workshop Manual (WSM) procedures in Section 303-04A.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10233848-0001.pdf

cprcubed

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cyber Orange BS BB, 1997 Ford F250 HD 7.3 PSD
So I had the recall done on my BB last year. About a weak ago I had a check engine light come on, throwing out code PO420. Come to find out my injectors where leaking and caused my catalytic converter to go bad and be replaced along with the injectors. I thought the point of the recall was for the car to put itself in some fail safe mode if the injectors started to leak or something. Correct me if I'm wrong
I think the recall would be for injectors that are leaking externally. Usually, for the CAT to get trashed, the leak(s) would need to be internally leaking (more fuel going through the engine). Cheers!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No fuel leak and no gasoline smell but the dealership is replacing all 3 fuel injectors.
A small-enough leak may not result in any smell, yet still leave a residue (typically staining) of fuel as evidence of a leak.

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
I guess my BS is not included as it was built 5/23. Updated Fuel injectors?

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow just wow!
Very interesting read that document is.
Thanks for posting!
Yes, very interesting indeed. I would hazard a guess that the NHTSA has made informal requests for this data and has been stonewalled, so now the claws are out. One way or another, it would appear many of the questions that’ve been asked on this forum will get answered. And that’s a good thing.

Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants.”

~ Louis Brandeis

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I guess my BS is not included as it was built 5/23. Updated Fuel injectors?
Did the drain tube/PCM Programming apply to yours and was the 22N18 customer satisfaction program attached to your VIN? If so then your vehicle should be included (in my opinion).
Sponsored