whithutch511

Badlands
First Name
Whitney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500L
I would like the option if possible. I frequently go between my house, my parents house and my brothers house so I have 3 garage door openers in my car. My mom's Edge has a UGDO and it is super nice to not have all the clutter or confusion of which remote is which.
Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Gold Sponsor
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Here are some that will work if that are a bit different

XIHADA
Ford Bronco Sport Universal Garage Door Opener 1598893024158

Mo-Door
Ford Bronco Sport Universal Garage Door Opener 1598893327239

and many like this if you do not have a MyQ garage door opener already.

eKyro
Ford Bronco Sport Universal Garage Door Opener 1598893684104

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
I highly doubt HomeLink type GDOs are obsolete.
Mercedes, BMW, Mazda and Volvo etc, which have the latest tech, also have HomeLink type GDOs.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
There seems to be lots of options missing from the sport. Just off the top of my head:

-UGDO
-power tailgate
-memory seats
-full digital IP
-sliding rear seats

these can all be found on the escape.

Ponds

First Edition
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
I highly doubt HomeLink type GDOs are obsolete.
Mercedes, BMW, Mazda and Volvo etc, which have the latest tech, also have HomeLink type GDOs.
And I think it’s in the lux package for the Bronco.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Well this is not current gen escape. The sport has a lot of options that are missing from the escape. Although they share similar part dimensions, these are two different vehicles that are geared toward two types of customers. Although some sport customers would like to pay for these features most s will say

-don’t care
-don’t care
-don’t care
-don’t care
-don’t care

This niche of customer might be happier with a discovery sport
we probably have different opinions on what the buyer of the sport will be. I see the sport being an escape alternative, not a bronco alternative. The new escape styling is not for everyone. They went with a more car like design, but ford knew they could get away with that because they had the sport to cover the rest of the market. It’s very similar both in size and appearance to the gen 2 escape.

I’d guess the majority of sales will come from the big bend or outer banks trims. Any awd compact/sub compact will have similar capabilities to these trims, and buyers will expect it to have similar options as those. Remember, the badlands is the only trim that has the off road suspension, advanced 4x4 system with twin clutch rear drive unit, bash plates, tow hooks, rubberized flooring, 2.0L engine or trail control.

will there be a niche of people who buy a badlands and use it as an adventure vehicle? Sure, and I think the badlands is perfectly suited for that, but most sport buyers will not be doing that (in my opinion). They will buy it because they like it’s looks and want it to replace their Subaru or similar vehicle as a daily driver.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
There seems to be lots of options missing from the sport. Just off the top of my head:

-UGDO
-power tailgate
-memory seats
-full digital IP
-sliding rear seats

these can all be found on the escape.

There was once a time when compact SUVs were a bit more rugged, a smaller less-capable version of their full-sized counterparts. This was when the mainstream family vehicle was a sedan or minivan. Over time, the compact SUVs (Escape, CR-V, Rav4) and such morphed into softer vehicles as the target demographic changed. Enter the era of the jellybean crossover (I have a CX-5) and these vehicles don't meet the utility need like the older compact SUVs did, such as my old Escape.
Finally, a manufacturer offers a vehicle to fill the now-vacant niche, a more basic, purposeful vehicle for those that don't mind opening their own hatch and adjusting their own seats.
I applaud this, there are plenty of options for those that want to be pampered. Give me the basics (power windows, locks) and good audio and I'm golden.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
There was once a time when compact SUVs were a bit more rugged, a smaller less-capable version of their full-sized counterparts. This was when the mainstream family vehicle was a sedan or minivan. Over time, the compact SUVs (Escape, CR-V, Rav4) and such morphed into softer vehicles as the target demographic changed. Enter the era of the jellybean crossover (I have a CX-5) and these vehicles don't meet the utility need like the older compact SUVs did, such as my old Escape.
Finally, a manufacturer offers a vehicle to fill the now-vacant niche, a more basic, purposeful vehicle for those that don't mind opening their own hatch and adjusting their own seats.
I applaud this, there are plenty of options for those that want to be pampered. Give me the basics (power windows, locks) and good audio and I'm golden.
A back to basics suv sounds great, but shouldn’t the price reflect that? An Awd escape SEL with 2.0L engine can be had for much cheaper than the sport outer banks even though it’s better equipped and probably similarly capable. Also, a Jeep Compass, probably the sport’s main competitor, can be optioned with those features And more, like ventilated seats.

All I’m saying is ford alienated a lot of customers with the new redesign of the escape (It’s Q2 sales are down 50% from last year. A drop was to be expected due to Covid, but it’s sales are down more than competitors. That doesn’t sound promising for a newly redesigned vehicle). Many of those customers, myself included, were looking for a “better looking escape.” The sport is exactly that, but it’s missing on some features that many of those buyers will be expecting.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
All I’m saying is ford alienated a lot of customers with the new redesign of the escape (It’s Q2 sales are down 50% from last year.
Many of those customers, myself included, were looking for a “better looking escape.” The sport is exactly that, but it’s missing on some features that many of those buyers will be expecting.

Right on the redesign, however Ford alienated many original (1st and 2nd gen) Escape owners in 2013 when they went down the jellybean path, abandoning the boxy design. And I agree, that last thing they put the Escape name on is hideous! (2020)

They also softened it in 2013 for a different demographic (soccer moms & dads shrugging off minivan image). It is unfortunate that they continued down that path and made it completely car-like.

That said, there are many that don't want a current Escape restyled, rather a purposeful utility vehicle without the excess baggage or plushness. The extra cost of the Sport comes in the ruggedness and market exclusivity. I am glad they are not simply restyling a glorified Focus and sending it to market. I had to replace my '06 Escape with two vehicles (CX-5, Colorado) to maintain the same utility I had with the '06 Escape and a utility trailer.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Right on the redesign, however Ford alienated many original (1st and 2nd gen) Escape owners in 2013 when they went down the jellybean path, abandoning the boxy design. And I agree, that last thing they put the Escape name on is hideous! (2020)

They also softened it in 2013 for a different demographic (soccer moms & dads shrugging off minivan image). It is unfortunate that they continued down that path and made it completely car-like.

That said, there are many that don't want a current Escape restyled, rather a purposeful utility vehicle without the excess baggage or plushness. The extra cost of the Sport comes in the ruggedness and market exclusivity. I am glad they are not simply restyling a glorified Focus and sending it to market. I had to replace my '06 Escape with two vehicles (CX-5, Colorado) to maintain the same utility I had with the '06 Escape and a utility trailer.

I agree with everything you said. I think the people you are referring to will get the badlands with all of its extra features. The person who buys the sport just because they like how it looks (in my opinion, this will be the majority of buyers and they will get the big bend and outer banks) will want those extra luxury features. I’d imagine down the road you will see them added anyways.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The “majority” of buyers don’t won’t luxury features over functional rugged. The buyers you are referring to... are going to be in for a rude awakening.. they got so used to their UGDO now they are going to reach up inside their bronco trimmed “escape” only to find a horrible peasant like garage remote.

Ford truthfully designed a solid vehicle. For the majority, UGDO doesn’t define solid vehicle.
I’m not even talking about UGDO, just features in general that are missing from the sport that are on all the other vehicles in this segment. You think this is some super special niche vehicle and it isn’t. It’s a mainstream vehicle where the majority of buyers will not be off-roaders or adventure seekers.

I’m not saying any of this is bad. The sport is a great vehicle. It will have mass appeal and will sell well, but it’s missing features that other ford products and competitors from other brands already have. The good thing about features is they are OPTIONAL, meaning if you don’t want them you don’t have to buy them. Not offering them at all though puts ford at a disadvantage to its competitors.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
This is not a super special “niche” vehicle. Don’t know where you got that from. This a small rugged 4x4 suv opposed to a small “luxury” suv.

It is a mainstream vehicle- yes
Majority of buyers will not be off-roaders- correct
It is missing features of competitors- yes
It also HAS features that competitors are missing.

The good thing about OPTIONS is that customers like yourself (not the majority of small rugged suv buyers), can get an escape or rav4 or discovery sport, that have an “advantage” if you can’t bare the thought of manually lifting the lift gate.

Your argument is that it won’t sell because it can’t compete with competitors with escape features. My argument is that not only will it out sell the 2021 escape, it will out sell many of the 2021 small suvs. You’d be surprised how many people are capable of lifting their own lift gate.
I never said it won’t sell. I think it’s going to be a hit for ford, but why limit options that make ford money and that people want? If I had to guess, most of those options will be rolled out in the upcoming years in a tech or convenience package of some sort. We have different opinions as to what we think the customer wants, and that’s ok. I think that shows that this vehicle appeals to a variety of customers.

I’m actually curious to see how the sales go. I don’t think it will outsell the escape (I wish it would), but I don’t think ford ever planned for it to. I’d guess it will be around 150 - 175k, with the sport having higher ATPs and bringing in more profit on average.

I thought the power lift gate was dumb too at first. But then I had a vehicle that had it. I don’t think I’d go back. It’s been pretty handy with Covid and all of the curbside pick ups.

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Customer needs are not as polarized as "recreational offroading vs. grocery getter". There is a need for a non-luxury rugged utility vehicle that doesn't necessarily equate to rock crawling. I used my Escape as a commuter and for towing my dirtbike down fireroads to trails or remote shooting ranges in wildlife management areas. The Escape performed well in this arena, the CX-5 not so much. The CX-5's, like many softened crossovers, has a road-tuned suspension that never felt right on rutted fire roads. Other little things that made the Escape better was the rear bumper ledge, useful for placing the trailer lock or other stuff while hooking up the boat or trailer. The independently-opening hatch glass was great for getting things out or an occasional extended load.
I was active on the now-defunct Escape Central forum, and later on Escape City for over a decade. There was much discussion over the years lamenting the loss of compact SUVs, mainly many for the features the Bronco Sport offers. In an effort to gain market dominance, most manufacturers slowly softened the early compact SUVs to capture those escaping the "minivan image" opting for a more "rugged look." This gave us the jellybean crossovers. Over time, they became more luxurious as crossovers took over the family sedan and minivan market.
When Ford decided to exit the sedan market and focus exclusively on trucks and SUVs, it gave them enough market slots to accommodate more segments. I believe that Ford is actually attempting to fill a now-vacant market niche with the Sport, not sharing the segment with current crossovers.
Most other compact SUVs went soft to accommodate people wanting to be pampered. The Bronco, as essentialemployee stated, is for those of us who don't need or want a poseur vehicle, based on style not substance. Now, if only it had a manual transmission. :like:

Last edited:

Washburn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Escape Limited AWD / 2005 BMW 330Ci ZHP / 2014 Mazda6 Touring
I personally do not expect the B-sport to be a substitute to or mimic the CURRENT Escape. The few luxury / convenience items it has I take as a bonus. It is meant to be a more capable SECOND GEN (boxy) escape; almost a revamped re-incarnation of it with more modern tech and off road prowess.
The only reason I was curious about the absence of the UGDO was because it offered OTHER features which would fall into same category of features.
I welcome its stance, shape/design, boxyness and rugged looks accompanied by ACTUAL ruggedness and 4x4 capabilities to go with them.

It's not meant to be like a current Escape which are soft on road bubbly SUVs with child-pleasing gadgets.
I am GLAD it doesn't have a "wave to open" power lift gate. More things to break, IMO. That's what the current Escape is for. "Grocery getter / children hauler" as a MAIN function. The B-sport CAN be used for that, but I fail to see how it is designed MAINLY for such functions. Hence the lack of seat memory and power liftgates and such. Heck I wish I get the B Sport MINUS the moonroof. Even that is not needed for what it is intended for.

I wish the B-Sport also came in a 2 door. That would have been awesome.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I personally do not expect the B-sport to be a substitute to or mimic the CURRENT Escape. The few luxury / convenience items it has I take as a bonus. It is meant to be a more capable SECOND GEN (boxy) escape; almost a revamped re-incarnation of it with more modern tech and off road prowess.
The only reason I was curious about the absence of the UGDO was because it offered OTHER features which would fall into same category of features.
I welcome its stance, shape/design, boxyness and rugged looks accompanied by ACTUAL ruggedness and 4x4 capabilities to go with them.

It's not meant to be like a current Escape which are soft on road bubbly SUVs with child-pleasing gadgets.
I am GLAD it doesn't have a "wave to open" power lift gate. More things to break, IMO. That's what the current Escape is for. "Grocery getter / children hauler" as a MAIN function. The B-sport CAN be used for that, but I fail to see how it is designed MAINLY for such functions. Hence the lack of seat memory and power liftgates and such. Heck I wish I get the B Sport MINUS the moonroof. Even that is not needed for what it is intended for.

I wish the B-Sport also came in a 2 door. That would have been awesome.
I just wish the 2.0 was optional on all trims. I wasn’t a fan of the 1.5 when I had it on an escape rental.
Sponsored