johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BS BigBend/2011 v6 Rav4
Had a good time in Big Bend park last weekend then on our way home was driving with sport mode and suddenly lost power and came back quickly but not 100%.

Check Engine and wrench light turned on and i got a message saying turbocharger is outputting lower boost.

Parked to the shoulder and turned off the engine and the alarm went away.
Weird. Taking it to dealer next week.

Has anyone seen this before?

thanks

Ford Bronco Sport Turbocharger failure IMG_8699
Sponsored

rocks

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX, '23 HR-V EX-L wife's
How many miles? I believe two members here had the turbo fail in the 60K and 70K miles.

BLUEOVALRACER

Big Bend
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
I would make sure all the Turbo piping and clamps are tight!! IIRC some of the F-150 guys found some tubing clamps loose and Boost loses on there Eco Boost Engines!!

Kellykel

Big Bend
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Sport 2021
Had a good time in Big Bend park last weekend then on our way home was driving with sport mode and suddenly lost power and came back quickly but not 100%.

Check Engine and wrench light turned on and i got a message saying turbocharger is outputting lower boost.

Parked to the shoulder and turned off the engine and the alarm went away.
Weird. Taking it to dealer next week.

Has anyone seen this before?

thanks

Ford Bronco Sport Turbocharger failure IMG_8699
Yup one of my eight major issues. Same loss of power -turbo replaced. 40,000 miles

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
After sitting, did the power come back?

My Jeep LIberty had the turbo replaced under warranty. A couple of years later it happened again. Serious loss of power, and I was pulling an aluminum bass boat. I could hardly get it up to highway speed, and it took forever when it did. I ordered a new turbo, and when I tore into it, I found the hose was blown out. It didn't need a new turbo, just a silicone hose. I've always wondered if that was what happened the first time. The dealer may have made a lot of money from Jeep. They charged me for the hoses even under warranty.

OP
OP
johnardsg

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah the power went back, so i used it with sportmode again then it failed another time. Then i switched it off again but used normal mode afterwards, this time it didnt fail anymore. I’m gonna know more tomorrow when i take my BB to the dealer.

DBBLTAP

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 MFE (Mighty Ford Escape)
Yawn. No biggie! My turbo failed twice on my Badlands before 15K miles. Same symptoms as yours.

My first failure was driving to the Off-Roadeo in Moab. I limped into a auto parts shop before shutting down the engine to pull the diagnostics off the vehicle: "Low Turbo boost failure," Duh. After shutting down the engine, waiting 5mins restarting. All was well for the rest of my trip (the failure was actually a turbo waste gate actuator).

My second failure was seemingly identical except I was literally in the middle of friggen nowhere, w/o cell phone service. I "limped" 50mi to a small town before I shut down, then restarted the engine. Again all seemed OK.

Once home the dealer said this fault was identical to my first experience >> except the actuator rod was seized going into the Turbo. This time I received a whole new Turbo. Sweet! My Sport engine/exhaust note actually sounds smoother than I remember.

I've been driving for 1500 miles on my new Turbo without any issues.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
johnardsg

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yawn. No biggie! My turbo failed twice on my Badlands before 15K miles. Same symptoms as yours.

My first failure was driving to the Off-Roadeo in Moab. I limped into a auto parts shop before shutting down the engine to pull the diagnostics off the vehicle: "Low Turbo boost failure," Duh. After shutting down the engine, waiting 5mins restarting. All was well for the rest of my trip (the failure was actually a turbo waste gate actuator).

My second failure was seemingly identical except I was literally in the middle of friggen nowhere, w/o cell phone service. I "limped" 50mi to a small town before I shut down, then restarted the engine. Again all seemed OK.

Once home the dealer said this fault was identical to my first experience >> except the actuator rod was seized going into the Turbo. This time I received a whole new Turbo. Sweet! My Sport engine/exhaust note actually sounds smoother than I remember.

I've been driving for 1500 miles on my new Turbo without any issues.

Good Luck!
Was the second turbo fail still under warranty in your case?

OP
OP
johnardsg

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, after a loooong wait in the dealer hospitality area, I was told my BB has an error code P3402: defective solenoid.

Replacing it will cost ~860$ labor included.
I was not happy with the answer they gave me when I asked if replacing that will solve the issue; “it depends on the diags after the new part is installed”.

Well, since I love my BB, i will keep it and replace that part. But will be driving with normal mode onwards. No more fancy computer hyped sport mode for me :)

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Replacing it will cost ~860$ labor included.
I was not happy with the answer they gave me when I asked if replacing that will solve the issue; “it depends on the diags after the new part is installed”.
My advice: do not, repeat, DO NOT authorize a repair YOU have to pay for unless the shop guarantees it will fix the problem.

OP
OP
johnardsg

johnardsg

Big Bend
First Name
johnard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My advice: do not, repeat, DO NOT authorize a repair YOU have to pay for unless the shop guarantees it will fix the problem.
Yep, i just got the itemized charges for that solenoid part. Apparently it only costs $30 and labor is $800+ (what the shites!!!)

First Name
jclifford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco sport
How many miles? I believe two members here had the turbo fail in the 60K and 70K miles.
I would have loved that warning. Right after 70k my turbo seized up apparently and the oil pressure blew through the turbo, as I limped home just 2 miles the low oil pressure came on. Buy the extended warranty, or if your bank offers protection, just to be safe. I was not safe.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yep, i just got the itemized charges for that solenoid part. Apparently it only costs $30 and labor is $800+ (what the shites!!!)
Code P3402 is for cylinder deactivation error and has nothing to do with the turbocharger per se. If the vavletrain was stuck in the deactivation state you were running on two cylinders and the PCM/ECM would not have the proper signal to call for boost, therefore that's the basic reason your Sport had little power output. Assuming the valvetrain is ok and it's just a bad solenoid.
Cylinder deactivation also relies on proper lubrication, meaning correct oil, oil level and oil pressure. Hopefully you were doing your oil changes on time and tracking the oil level between changes.
Sponsored