First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport FE Area 51
What’s up Sportsters! Just did a run this last weekend up in the high desert from Dayton to Carson City, NV. Thanks Rusty from Bay Area Broncos FB group admin for sharing the Gaia GPS map. I used that as my “main” road and explored off that. The area is called Pine Nut Mountains - located in the Carson City BLM.

Recommend you start behind Dayton HS , it’s rocky road all the way up the mountain , there’s some hills and dry pond area to explore as you head towards the old mining camp. From there it’s super fun racing through the service roads and sand trails…recommend SAND mode for that.

As you head down the mountains to Carson City, you’ll drive by private property and residents so slow your dusty trail. It’s all 2 way traffic and lots of blind corners so maybe dune flags next time. Hope to do a night run next visit up there also

Now the question you have…. Can a stock Bronco Sport do this? Yes with a good spotter, large rock removals, take easy lines/bypasses and skills. There will be clearance challenges over the rocky roads and say good bye to the undercarriage fiber shields.

My rig has been modified. @HRG Offroad 2.5” lift with 265/65/17 30.6” @Falken QA RubiTrek tires. Aired down to 20psi. Fully under armored including rock sliders, only center exhaust exposed. This “meat wagon” as one of customers called it, did a phenomenal job tackling all rocks, ruts and water crossings with less than a hand full of undercarriage knocks. Played the 2WD game most of the time.

I was more comfortable taking on this run as a solo rig due to the practicing I did at Carnegie SRVA 4x4 area. I have a sense of my limits and when another rig with a winch should be with me. There were some overgrown trails I didn’t explore because of that.

I took my 77 year old mom and she had a blast.

We didn’t see any wild horses this time….just a snake crossing the road, which almost got Falken rolled. Definitely will go again, it’s only 4 hours from the Bay Area!

Ford Bronco Sport Trip Report: Pine Nut Mountains BLM Nevada IMG_1419

Ford Bronco Sport Trip Report: Pine Nut Mountains BLM Nevada IMG_1399

Ford Bronco Sport Trip Report: Pine Nut Mountains BLM Nevada IMG_1405

Ford Bronco Sport Trip Report: Pine Nut Mountains BLM Nevada IMG_1408

Ford Bronco Sport Trip Report: Pine Nut Mountains BLM Nevada IMG_1403
Sponsored

Bill G

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport Badlands, 66 Tiger
Nice write up. If mom enjoyed it . . . it must have been a good trip!

The Avatar

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
What’s up Sportsters! Just did a run this last weekend up in the high desert from Dayton to Carson City, NV. Thanks Rusty from Bay Area Broncos FB group admin for sharing the Gaia GPS map. I used that as my “main” road and explored off that. The area is called Pine Nut Mountains - located in the Carson City BLM.

Recommend you start behind Dayton HS , it’s rocky road all the way up the mountain , there’s some hills and dry pond area to explore as you head towards the old mining camp. From there it’s super fun racing through the service roads and sand trails…recommend SAND mode for that.

As you head down the mountains to Carson City, you’ll drive by private property and residents so slow your dusty trail. It’s all 2 way traffic and lots of blind corners so maybe dune flags next time. Hope to do a night run next visit up there also

Now the question you have…. Can a stock Bronco Sport do this? Yes with a good spotter, large rock removals, take easy lines/bypasses and skills. There will be clearance challenges over the rocky roads and say good bye to the undercarriage fiber shields.

My rig has been modified. @HRG Offroad 2.5” lift with 265/65/17 30.6” @Falken QA RubiTrek tires. Aired down to 20psi. Fully under armored including rock sliders, only center exhaust exposed. This “meat wagon” as one of customers called it, did a phenomenal job tackling all rocks, ruts and water crossings with less than a hand full of undercarriage knocks. Played the 2WD game most of the time.

I was more comfortable taking on this run as a solo rig due to the practicing I did at Carnegie SRVA 4x4 area. I have a sense of my limits and when another rig with a winch should be with me. There were some overgrown trails I didn’t explore because of that.

We didn’t see any wild horses this time….just a snake crossing the road, which almost got Falken rolled. Definitely will go again, it’s only 4 hours from the Bay Area!

Nice work looks like fun, glad you were able to take your mom.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport

Sounds like you had a blast Bruce! Thanks for sharing. :)
Sponsored