Wandering Pinto

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
i just purchased a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands a couple of months ago. I have a small travel trailer,under 2,000 loaded, and needed to put in a 7 pin RV connector, brake controller, and hot wire to charge the trailer battery. I replaced the 4 pin with a combo 4/7 pin connector and ran two gauge wires underneath to the engine bay. I hooked the hot to the positive battery post ,with a 30 amp fuse, and ran the other for the brake and additional hot lead to the dash area through a rubber plug near the driver side top door hinge. Not wanting a traditional brake controller that hangs under the dash, I opted for a Tow-Pro Elite. It mounts remotely with a small knob that can be placed anywhere. Lucky for us there is a blank spot on the headlight switch. Looks like factory! I just took it for a test drive, works great!

Ford Bronco Sport Trailer Brake Controller KIMG3803.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Trailer Brake Controller KIMG3792.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Trailer Brake Controller KIMG3797.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Trailer Brake Controller KIMG3779.JPG
Sponsored

TSP Overland

Outer Banks
Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Sport
This is a pretty awesome bit of kit Dave! Innovative and cool that you made it have an OEM feel to it using the factory light switch panel. REDARC makes some great products too - ESPECIALLY if you're tired of bashing your knee on the brake controller :)

OP
OP
Wandering Pinto

Wandering Pinto

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another plus of this controller is that it has an off-road mode. It lets you manually set the braking force to a set amount or turn it off all together.

vango387

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport
i just purchased a 2022 Bronco Sport Badlands a couple of months ago. I have a small travel trailer,under 2,000 loaded, and needed to put in a 7 pin RV connector, brake controller, and hot wire to charge the trailer battery. I replaced the 4 pin with a combo 4/7 pin connector and ran two gauge wires underneath to the engine bay. I hooked the hot to the positive battery post ,with a 30 amp fuse, and ran the other for the brake and additional hot lead to the dash area through a rubber plug near the driver side top door hinge. Not wanting a traditional brake controller that hangs under the dash, I opted for a Tow-Pro Elite. It mounts remotely with a small knob that can be placed anywhere. Lucky for us there is a blank spot on the headlight switch. Looks like factory! I just took it for a test drive, works great!

Ford Bronco Sport Trailer Brake Controller KIMG3803.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Trailer Brake Controller KIMG3792.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Trailer Brake Controller KIMG3797.JPG

Ford Bronco Sport Trailer Brake Controller KIMG3779.JPG
Hello. I have a 2022 badlands and I really debated on if I should go to the effort to add a 7 pin for my trailer or just to add a 4 pin cable to the trailer. My thought was that if the badlands was designed to tow under 2200 without trailer brakes then why do I need them? Just wondering if you had the same thoughts. I did end up just adding a 4 pin cable to the trailer. I have not towed any distance. Just tested a few miles locally. It seemed to handle fine.

Also, when you added the 7 pin did it mess with the computer? There is apparently some kind of trailering control module in the back area that is responsible for handling the signals, etc. I know my vehicle at least detects when the trailer is connected.

OP
OP
Wandering Pinto

Wandering Pinto

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nope, did not effect the computer. My trailer loaded is under 2,000lbs, loaded so I probably don't need brakes, but the trailer has them so why not use them. Also I need a hot wire to charge the camper battery. I ran both the power for the brake controller and hot for the camper battery directly from the positive lead of the batter to effect the computer in any way.
Sponsored