Towing Capacity..... What's your Minimum.? 2000 LBS? 3000 LBS? More?

Cabezone

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee Trailhawk
Does anyone know why the Badlands isn't able to match the towing of the Cherokee? Like the only difference between Cherokees that can tow 4500 vs 2000 is a heavy duty cooler in the transmission. The turbo tows a bit less than the V6.

I wonder if the Ford turbo runs hotter than the Jeep one.
Sponsored

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
From my life long experience towing trailers from 4'x6' Harbor freight home built kits to 52' vans to 48' goose necks pulled with twin screw 15 ton tractors and even time in the 20 ton Autocar.
I think Ford was correct in limiting the 1.5L Bronco sport to a 1 ton cap.
IMHO anything over 2,000 pounds needs brakes and over 3,000 would benefit from anti sway control when pulled with any SUV.
I don't care what other models are rated at. Some are less concerned with safety and more concerned with sales.
Once again, KUDO'S FORD !
Engine power is but one factor,
Wheel base, brakes and the towing vehicle's weight are just as Important.
Personally I have always never exceeded 75% of a vehicles rated towing capacity.
Ford gave us a safe limit for the baby Bronc.
Only 200 pounds more with the bigger engine should enlighten people to the importance of those other factors I mentioned.
If you plan to tow 2,000 pounds get the larger motor in the BS.
If you plan to tow anymore choose a bigger model.

tRex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Does anyone know why the Badlands isn't able to match the towing of the Cherokee? Like the only difference between Cherokees that can tow 4500 vs 2000 is a heavy duty cooler in the transmission. The turbo tows a bit less than the V6.

I wonder if the Ford turbo runs hotter than the Jeep one.
The Badlands has a twin clutch rear "differential," not a traditional one. I'd expect slippage to be the problem at higher tow weights. The Escape with the same (or similar) PTU, drive shaft but traditional rear differential tows significantly more.

Broncomaui

First Name
Maui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Escape
This is something preventing me from buying the Bronco. My 2012 Escape can tow 3500 and tow two jet skis with ease. Those come in at about 2100lbs before gas + gear and the BS has me worried it won’t be able to handle taking them through the Adirondacks. It’s not often I tow...maybe 10 times a year and only for a few hours at a time but don’t want to push it.

im hoping my Escape will hold out until they put a bigger engine in it.

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
From my life long experience towing trailers from 4'x6' Harbor freight home built kits to 52' vans to 48' goose necks pulled with twin screw 15 ton tractors and even time in the 20 ton Autocar.
I think Ford was correct in limiting the 1.5L Bronco sport to a 1 ton cap.
IMHO anything over 2,000 pounds needs brakes and over 3,000 would benefit from anti sway control when pulled with any SUV.
I don't care what other models are rated at. Some are less concerned with safety and more concerned with sales.
Once again, KUDO'S FORD !
Engine power is but one factor,
Wheel base, brakes and the towing vehicle's weight are just as Important.
Personally I have always never exceeded 75% of a vehicles rated towing capacity.
Ford gave us a safe limit for the baby Bronc.
Only 200 pounds more with the bigger engine should enlighten people to the importance of those other factors I mentioned.
If you plan to tow 2,000 pounds get the larger motor in the BS.
If you plan to tow anymore choose a bigger model.

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
My experience with towing capacity is it's usually part of the total GVRW Capacity so you have to include the weight you add to the vehicule which mean the towing capacity is reduced by the 500 # of crap you Throw in the back or on the roof!
Anybody figure out the true GVRW for a BL/FE?
Does ford rate towing differently that others vehicule ?

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
The Badlands has a twin clutch rear "differential," not a traditional one. I'd expect slippage to be the problem at higher tow weights. The Escape with the same (or similar) PTU, drive shaft but traditional rear differential tows significantly more.
I would bet that it is the twin-clutch differential and the shortened wheelbase, both which differentiate it from the Escape.
I'm not sure a bigger engine will get past the wheelbase limitation. Although the Sport is Escape-based, the shortened wheelbase pushed it down from compact to sub-compact class (per Ford).

Last edited:

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I would bet that it is the twin-clutch differential and the shortened wheelbase, both which differentiate it from the Escape.
I'm not sure a bigger engine will get past the wheelbase limitation. Although the Sport is Escape-based, the shortened wheelbase pushed it down from compact to sub-compact class (per Ford).
Did not know about the shorten wheel base , thanks

Excape

Outer Banks
First Name
Reg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Did not know about the shorten wheel base , thanks
It is not a huge difference:

Model
Wheelbase
2021 Escape
106.7 in.
2021 Bronco Sport
105.1 in.

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The manual says 2200 Lbs for the Badlands and First Edition and 2000 Lbs for all other models

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The manual says 2200 Lbs for the Badlands and First Edition and 2000 Lbs for all other models
I dont think the back axel is the low tow wt issue of the BL as if it was the others have the regular back axel like Escape , maybe, and the only slighlty shorter wheel base should not be an issue unless if that puts in in the compact SUV class , for lower insurance and other ratings does that mean lower towing rating for a C-suv? there has to be an answer......

Warren505

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Website
warren149.wordpress.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I just bought mine and wanted the hitch installed. The dealer said the parts are on back order with no ETA on delivery. I don’t want the UHaul under the bumper hitch look, so it’ll likely be a few months before the Ford part becomes available.
With the factory tow package comes a full size spare and slightly raised floor . It also has some sort of electronic anti-sway technology .
My early March order has a build date so not sure what’s changed with parts supply, there is a lot of supply issues not just vehicles .
Sponsored