Meanderthal

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 BMW R1200 GS Adv, '23 Norden Expedition
Mt. Lemmon is where I learned to snowboard over 30 years ago. I graduated from UofA 30 years ago this month.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
My BS BL (Bronson is his name) easily transversed the back way up Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, AZ a couple of weekends ago. Here are a few pics from the trek. Enjoy!

Ford Bronco Sport Took Back Way to Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, AZ PXL_20240421_232552086
Ford Bronco Sport Took Back Way to Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, AZ PXL_20240421_232517208
Ford Bronco Sport Took Back Way to Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, AZ PXL_20240421_225400433
Ford Bronco Sport Took Back Way to Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, AZ PXL_20240422_010235894.MP
This looks like an amazing adventure with Bronson! Thanks for sharing!!

NMhunter

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BS Badlands
My son did that road in the snow with his GMC 1/2 ton 30 years ago. He had chains on all 4 wheels and said there were drifts where he could reach out the window and touch the snow.

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
My BS BL (Bronson is his name) easily transversed the back way up Mt. Lemmon in Tucson, AZ a couple of weekends ago. Here are a few pics from the trek. Enjoy!

Ford Bronco Sport Took Back Way to Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, AZ PXL_20240421_232552086
Ford Bronco Sport Took Back Way to Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, AZ PXL_20240421_232517208
Ford Bronco Sport Took Back Way to Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, AZ PXL_20240421_225400433
Ford Bronco Sport Took Back Way to Mt. Lemmon, Tucson, AZ PXL_20240422_010235894.MP
What is the back way up Mt. Lemmon? I'm asking because 30+ years ago my wife and I were out there on vacation. We rented a 4WD Jeep Cherokee so we could explore a bit. I remember driving the back way (from the south) up a mountain with an observatory -- either Lemmon or Graham.

Back then, all we had were state hwy dept. maps. The AZ and NM maps would show a Jeep trail as if it was a maintained county road! We figured the road we were on would be no problem. It started out OK, but got rougher as we climbed. It ended up looking like a dry river bed!

Finally we ended up with 2 diagonal wheels off the ground, rocking back and forth. Because the Jeep had traditional 4WD (open diffs front and rear) the 2 tires hanging in mid-air spun and we could not go any further. We ended up backing up until we could find a place to turn around.

I remember it being Mt. Graham, but I was just looking on Google Maps and could not seem to find that road.

OP
OP
shwamo83

shwamo83

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
What is the back way up Mt. Lemmon? I'm asking because 30+ years ago my wife and I were out there on vacation. We rented a 4WD Jeep Cherokee so we could explore a bit. I remember driving the back way (from the south) up a mountain with an observatory -- either Lemmon or Graham.

Back then, all we had were state hwy dept. maps. The AZ and NM maps would show a Jeep trail as if it was a maintained county road! We figured the road we were on would be no problem. It started out OK, but got rougher as we climbed. It ended up looking like a dry river bed!

Finally we ended up with 2 diagonal wheels off the ground, rocking back and forth. Because the Jeep had traditional 4WD (open diffs front and rear) the 2 tires hanging in mid-air spun and we could not go any further. We ended up backing up until we could find a place to turn around.

I remember it being Mt. Graham, but I was just looking on Google Maps and could not seem to find that road.
This is what I took. It was mostly easy but there was about a mile stretch was very rocky and I bottomed out at one point a bit because I took the wrong line.

https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/backway-mount-lemmon/

sajohnson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands ordered 12/17/2021 - Arrived 3/25/22
This is what I took. It was mostly easy but there was about a mile stretch was very rocky and I bottomed out at one point a bit because I took the wrong line.

https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/backway-mount-lemmon/
Thanks! The section in the photo looks fine, but I gather that's the "mostly easy" you referred to.

I like this review:

Justin says
"Took my 2023 Hyundai Accent up this trail. Very enjoyable, wonderful views, and it was a great time. Would not recommend anyone trying this in a Hyundai Accent ever." :cool:

I don't recall as many trees along the road we took, it was more scrubby I'm thinking it was Mount Graham, but it's been 30+ years.

Last edited: