The latest Sync®3 map will be available on or near May 13th, 2024.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
I was told free Nav for 5 years but that might be because of 360+ (including SiriusXM travel and traffic)
With the wife's Escape (and the Mustang I traded for the Badlands), it's free Sirius traffic for five years. We got one free update to SYNC's nav data, but after that we had to pay.
Sponsored

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sport Badlands
‘22 Badlands with 360+ .. had to work with SiriusXM to restore the 5 yr traffic and travel after the free subscription ended but that should work another 3 years (free) and I’ve had 2 or 3 free Nav maps updates so far. Ford customer support (by phone) said I would get 5 years free Nav updates. Nav updates for me aren’t too important.. typically use Nav if I don’t have my iPhone or in remote areas with no cell service.

DWG

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Edge, 2024 Bronco Sport Badlands
My BS Badlands has 360+ and the premium package. I couldn't find anything on the Ford website or the window sticker indicating how long free map updates lasted. On the 24's the SiriusXM travel link is only a 3 month prepaid subscription. 360+ also says includes navigation but does not indicate any period with free map updates. If I recall correctly my 2019 Edge and 2020 Escape came with 3 years of map updates which were updated via my wifi. I started getting emails from Ford Sync Navigation for my 2019 Ford Edge inviting me to buy a 5 year subscription for $199 or in small print a one time annual purchase of $149 for a preloaded usb drive to use to update my map. While I was getting free updates I could have gotten the USB for $49.

So from what I can see it looks like no free map updates anymore. With Sync 4 there are no map updates to purchase. You can only get an annual subscription (I think about $80) and if the prepaid subscription expires the nav system will not work. The system I think just shows your current location. Happy to still have Sync 3 on the BS. At least nav is still usable even if you do not update the maps and no subscription needed.

It will be interesting to see if I am able to get a free map update after the latest map version comes out later this month. My 24 BS is only about 2 months old so if no free updates for the BS than at least on the 24 BS free map updates are no longer a thing.

Last edited:

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My ‘24 Badlands has 360+ and the premium package. I couldn't find anything on the Ford website or the window sticker indicating how long free map updates lasted. On the 24's the SiriusXM travel link is only a 3 month prepaid subscription. 360+ also says includes navigation but does not indicate any period with free map updates.

… inviting me to buy a 5 year subscription for $199 or in small print a one time annual purchase of $149 for a preloaded usb drive to use to update my map

So from what I can see it looks like no free map updates anymore

It will be interesting to see if I am able to get a free map update after the latest map version comes out later this month. My 24 BS is only about 2 months old so if no free updates for the BS than at least on the 24 BS free map updates are no longer a thing.
Yep for the ‘24s at least there was a change to only 3 months total for the free SiriusXM with the traffic and travel. I also read Ford has switched to the $199 5 yr subscription or $149 each with USB Device.

I believe even the 24s get at least 1 free Nav maps update so I’m guessing you may get that when available on or about 5/20/2024. You will find out soon.

I can’t imagine anyone would pay the $199 or $149 when there are so many free choices provided by the cellphones .. but there are owners on here that don’t own a cellphone or never travel with their cellphone 😉

DWG

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep for the ‘24s at least there was a change to only 3 months total for the free SiriusXM with the traffic and travel. I also read Ford has switched to the $199 5 yr subscription or $149 each with USB Device.

I believe even the 24s get at least 1 free Nav maps update so I’m guessing you may get that when available on or about 5/20/2024. You will find out soon.

I can’t imagine anyone would pay the $199 or $149 when there are so many free choices provided by the cellphones .. but there are owners on here that don’t own a cellphone or never travel with their cellphone 😉
As long as they were free on my 20 Escape and 19 Edge I would take them. Primarily let them update over wifi. Now that I have to pay for them I will only update the maps after a couple of updates have pasts. I have no reason to always have the newest update. For me the updates don't change that much and if there is a new store, etc that I want to go to and unfamiliar with the area I can just plug in the address. That usually works. At least with Sync 3 navigation can still be used even if you do not update the maps every year.

I have tried Apple Car Play maps in a loaner BS that I had that didn't have navigation. I liked the maps but I could not figure out how to get back to the regular display screen when I didn't need the navigation through the Apple Car Play.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as they were free on my 20 Escape and 19 Edge I would take them. Primarily let them update over wifi. Now that I have to pay for them I will only update the maps after a couple of updates have pasts. I have no reason to always have the newest update. For me the updates don't change that much and if there is a new store, etc that I want to go to and unfamiliar with the area I can just plug in the address. That usually works. At least with Sync 3 navigation can still be used even if you do not update the maps every year.

I have tried Apple Car Play maps in a loaner BS that I had that didn't have navigation. I liked the maps but I could not figure out how to get back to the regular display screen when I didn't need the navigation through the Apple Car Play.
Just an FYI, in the Bronco Sport, SYNC updates over WiFi or USB Device however Ford Nav updates only via a USB Device.

While in CarPlay, just locate the Ford Sync button on the display and that takes you back to SYNC while keeping CarPlay running in the “background “.

Ford Bronco Sport The latest Sync®3 map will be available on or near May 13th, 2024. IMG_1125

DWG

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just an FYI, in the Bronco Sport, SYNC updates over WiFi or USB Device however Ford Nav updates only via a USB Device.

While in CarPlay, just locate the Ford Sync button on the display and that takes you back to SYNC while keeping CarPlay running in the “background “.

Ford Bronco Sport The latest Sync®3 map will be available on or near May 13th, 2024. IMG_1125
I don't have Ford Sync on my phone. Is that an app I have to download or it appears when connected to Sync Apple Car Play

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't have Ford Sync on my phone. Is that an app I have to download or it appears when connected to Sync Apple Car Play
Ford Sync is not on your iPhone.

The pic I posted is showing what CarPlay can look like on the 8” Display screen in the center of a Bronco Sport (between the driver and passenger seats above the shift knob).

While in CarPlay say in a rental vehicle or in your Bronco Sport, press the Ford Sync button and that will take you from CarPlay back to showing the Sync display.

Try it sometime in your Bronco Sport and the rental cars will look (and work) somewhat similar.

DWG

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Sync is not on your iPhone.

The pic I posted is showing what CarPlay can look like on the 8” Display screen in the center of a Bronco Sport (between the driver and passenger seats above the shift knob).

While in CarPlay say in a rental vehicle or in your Bronco Sport, press the Ford Sync button and that will take you from CarPlay back to showing the Sync display.

Try it sometime in your Bronco Sport and the rental cars will look (and work) somewhat similar.
Thank you, I will try that. Knowing that makes using Car Play much easier to use. It is always good to have options.

Dude

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you, I will try that. Knowing that makes using Car Play much easier to use. It is always good to have options.
Yep and if you start using CarPlay more often there are some short cut tricks which I could send you but not worth knowing unless CarPlay is used a lot

DWG

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep and if you start using CarPlay more often there are some short cut tricks which I could send you but not worth knowing unless CarPlay is used a lot
Thank you!

wireman

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
I don't use Carplay a lot but I'm always open to tips & tricks while using it.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid
I did both the sync and nav update manually. The sync update was complete after 11 minutes using a Samsung USB 3.1 C jump drive and the NAV update took about 40 minutes using the same jump drive.

Tall Timbers

Badlands
First Name
Tall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands Bronco Sp, 23 Ford F150 Hybrid
Does Ford still have a period of time where map updates are free when you buy a new vehicle? They did when I purchased my Escape and Edge but that has been a couple of years ago.
My Map update was free. This was my 2nd freebie and I'm sure it'll be my last.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
This is the email I got a few days ago.

Are you ready for new adventures on the open road?

Introducing the SYNC® 3 Navigation Map, designed to help you follow your own road and be connected at the same time. Complete with touchscreen and voice-activated commands, it’s easy to use, and makes inputting destinations before any trip simple. Plus, SYNC® 3 keeps track of previous searches and points of interest so the system can quickly populate familiar destinations.

Now is the perfect time to start using the SYNC® 3 Navigation Map. The latest version update is available for your 2021 FORD BRONCO SPORT. The software updates include new features that will improve your navigation experience and keep you informed. Visit your local Ford Dealership or click on the link below to get the latest SYNC® 3 Navigation Map.

Let us help you prepare for the road ahead.

Introducing? Huh? Is it just another update or is it actually new functionality to replace the Sirius map nav system?
Sponsored