Synthetic vs. Conventional Oil

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Just meet the spec. I had some leftover Mobil1 5-30 full synthetic around but it was petroleum graded for SN service and the book calls for SP. I picked up some newly crafted SP spec even though the oil is probably identical.

More important is probably the filter. You really don't want a filter to either fail or fill up. All modern filters have something for a bypass so you don't lose oil pressure. That means if the filter material fills with crud, you won't know it. It's designed to deliver oil no matter what. You can buy better filters with more material surfaces or a bigger filter. I haven't looked into it much, but a lot of filters have another size that is identical thread and seal but longer (i.e. more material) body. Something like that may exist for these engines.

By the way, I'm using 5-30 because the 2.0 calls for it. I think the 1.5 calls for 0-20. Don't get mixed up and don't just pick another viscosity unless you've done more engineering that the designer has.
I also noted on cold weather environment it calls for 0W-30 for -29
Sponsored

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thanks all, i had no idea how much attention i should be paying to filters.
You live and learn. Thankfully my dad was a big gear head...filters are what they are...they filter crap. It's key to keeping the engine running smoothly and the oil is the carrier....they work together.

Debby

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport
Being old school, I changed the original oil at 2,000 miles. I used 5.3 quarts of mobil1 5w20 full synthetic and a Motorcraft filter. I’ll change every 4,000 miles or so.
Turbos are hard on oil and it’s relatively cheap compared to the price of the vehicle. I guess I could have saved $5 or $6, but peace of mind it worth it.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Oil spec for the Bronco Sport is WSS-M2C960-A1, if the oil you use meets that spec you are aligned with Fords requirements
A point of clarification: This is the specification for the RECOMMENDED Motorcraft oil. Motor oil from other manufacturers may or may not meet the Motorcraft spec (oil manufacturers must pay to test their oils to Motorcraft spec), but still be legal to use for warranty purposes. Here's what the owner's manual says:

We recommend Motorcraft motor oil for your vehicle. If Motorcraft oil is not available, use motor oils of the recommended viscosity grade that meet API SP requirements and display the API Certification Mark for gasoline engines.
The bolded, italicized part describes the REQUIRED oil specification for warranty purposes. This is pretty much any modern automotive motor oil.

A couple of data points: First, testing by independent labs has shown that oil brand matters little when it comes to lubricity, which is arguably an engine oil's most important job. Second, there are only a handful of companies manufacturing motor oils in the U.S. Most of the name-brand oils you can buy from your local suppliers come from these few wholesalers and are rebranded. For example, back when Walmart published data regarding the source of it's Super Tech brand oil it was coming from suppliers like Warren and Citgo, which also supplies oil for Valvoline. My advice is to purchase the least expensive 5W20 (1.5L) or 5W30 (2.0L) oil you can find that meets the API SP standard and change as recommended. I personally use synthetic oil because, a) it breaks down far slower than conventional oils in high heat environments, and small-displacement, turbocharged engines are most def high-heat environments for motor oils, and b) Walmart Super Tech 5W30 full synthetic is cheap at around $16 for a five-quart jug.

For more than you ever wanted to know about oil specifications click the link below.

https://www.oilspecifications.org/

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Mark S
I only listed the Ford oil spec.
Run whatever oil you want, it doesn't matter to me.

AndyMac204

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport Base / 1988 Dodge Power Ram w150
whatever the dealership does, is what our BS gets.
the old power ram gets 10w30 cause she's a leaker lol, pretty much whatever is on sale.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Mark S
I only listed the Ford oil spec.
Run whatever oil you want, it doesn't matter to me.
Robert, I didn't mean to offend, just clarifying. Your post might have been confusing for some who don't understand the ins and outs of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which prohibits manufacturers from requiring owners to use manufacturer-branded parts and consumables. Owners do not have to use Ford's Motorcraft oil to keep their warranty intact.

warpig

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
A1-A1
Oil spec for the Bronco Sport is WSS-M2C960-A1, if the oil you use meets that spec you are aligned with Fords requirements
Looking here it is showing the oil spec as being WSS-M2C-961-A1 for the Motorcraft SAE 5W-30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil. This WSS-M2C960-A1 keeps taking me to 5W 20.

mith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Main thing is to use the right oil spec for your engine per the manual and change regularly. Everyone is different, but I’d recommend full synthetic and changing at least every 5,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first. I’m sure some after market oil filters are good, but I’d recommend the Motorcraft one.

PaulOinMA

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BS, '22 FE, '04 Audi TT, '66 Austin Moke
The son of a friend of my parents did his graduate research on synthetic oil. Superior to conventional oil especially in cold weather. Big difference in things like snow blowers.

Osco

Banned
Base
Banned
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport and 2004 Ford Escape AWD
I knew a guy, a courier. A full tank of gas every day !
Sometimes more, we made a chit ton of money.
90% heavy city traffic in the central Florida heat.
He changed his oil every 5,000 miles.
He let Jiffy Lube do it, the cheapest roach oil and the cheapest no name filter.
The filters were white and only a part number on them.
At 500,000 miles he traded it in on a new one.
Never had an engine problem,
Never used any synthetic blend or full syn.
500,000 miles ! He did it again with the next Four banger Tacoma.
I took one to 528,000 on full synthetic, Mobil 1
I did 10,000 mile oil change intervals.
Iin the Florida heat. Same heavy loading as my buddy.
Only diff was I was mostly on the interstates and often pulling a 2,000 enclosed trailer.
We always had 600 to 1200 pounds in the truck bed.
Compression was so low the vehicle was unsafe.
Now tell me again the advantage of full syn ?
I’d really like to know.
I use the Motorcraft blend .
Sponsored