Synthetic vs. Conventional Oil

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Alright Bronco Sport owners. Tell me who is using synthetic vs conventional oil and why. Pros and cons. I always assumed synthetic is better am I wrong? I used synthetic in my Edge sport.
Sponsored

RSH

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I know some people have changed their oil right after break in, others are probably waiting until the oil life monitor tells them its time, in that case, from what I see on this board, most haven't changed their oil yet. Buy whatever type of oil you want, as long as it meets Ford specifications, you'll be fine.

69cuda340s

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billsgarage.info
Vehicle(s)
"21 BS Badlands, '16 F150 Platinum FX4
Synthetic will reduce engine friction, add some HP due to the reduced friction, and it will flow quicker in cold weather on startup, does not break down in high heat environments. Down sides is synthetic will leak more if there are any engine oil leaks. But overall synthetic is far superior then conventional oils.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Synthetic will reduce engine friction, add some HP due to the reduced friction, and it will flow quicker in cold weather on startup, does not break down in high heat environments. Down sides is synthetic will leak more if there are any engine oil leaks. But overall synthetic is far superior then conventional oils.
I simply went with cost? as they didn't offer blend or conventional. And my dad put it best, old gear head (his pride was a bored and balanced '65 Impala...fire breathing beast) unless I plan to drive this truck 20+ years it's likely not going to matter too much.

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
Thanks guys appreciate the input was waiting for @13MikeH and @69cuda340s ’s 2 cents.
Well Cuda gave his $6.98, after my input it's more like $5.73 total...I just drive em and know enough to need guys like Cuda to unscrew whatever I did??

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
All seriousness either should be fine, follow the recommendations. My dad used Pennzoil on everything he owned and they ran like champs. Good filter, motorcraft is spec their engineers had a plan. Apparently Napa Gold is rated the best filter on the market? Anyone have better info?

fourthgear

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport ,MB Sprinter 4x4
Its strange , I seem to find Ford (Motorcraft ) Filters seal better then most of the after market out there . Mobile one seems to seal & I think I used a K&N once & it seemed to work , but the ones I have gotten with the oil & Filter specials , all leaked at some point , most right after fitment . Over tightening doesn't help . I've had nothing but Ford Trucks & cars for many years .

I only use full Synthetic

13MikeH

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport
I used to swear by Fram....not anymore. I guess with a NEW vehicle, using motorcraft filter would be in my best interest should something happen. It might help might not. It did go on smooth. I've always used a smidge of grease or dip of oil on the rubber seal, seems to help give a good seal. Hand tighten plus one easy twist. Mild concern with the skid plate usually I look for oil spray the first startup. I guess I'll know if there is a problem checking the dipstick.

Glamdring70

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 BL+BL
Just meet the spec. I had some leftover Mobil1 5-30 full synthetic around but it was petroleum graded for SN service and the book calls for SP. I picked up some newly crafted SP spec even though the oil is probably identical.

More important is probably the filter. You really don't want a filter to either fail or fill up. All modern filters have something for a bypass so you don't lose oil pressure. That means if the filter material fills with crud, you won't know it. It's designed to deliver oil no matter what. You can buy better filters with more material surfaces or a bigger filter. I haven't looked into it much, but a lot of filters have another size that is identical thread and seal but longer (i.e. more material) body. Something like that may exist for these engines.

By the way, I'm using 5-30 because the 2.0 calls for it. I think the 1.5 calls for 0-20. Don't get mixed up and don't just pick another viscosity unless you've done more engineering that the designer has.

OP
OP
ZeroCool

ZeroCool

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sport
Thanks all, i had no idea how much attention i should be paying to filters.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
All seriousness either should be fine, follow the recommendations. My dad used Pennzoil on everything he owned and they ran like champs. Good filter, motorcraft is spec their engineers had a plan. Apparently Napa Gold is rated the best filter on the market? Anyone have better info?
Napa Gold is/was made by Wix last I knew, was highly rated then also. Other Napa filters are made by others. Napa doesn't necessarily pull a Wix of the shelf and slap their name on it. They are built to Napa spec whatever that may be.
As a matter of course I use Wix on everything I own, even the mower.
Sponsored