WunWun

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So I typically use Apple Maps when using Apple CarPlay. Recently, I've run into a few cell signal dead zones that obviously causes Apple Maps to stop working. When I try to switch to SYNC Nav, it brings me back to Apple Maps via CarPlay.

Anyone know if there is a way to access SYNC Nav if you're plugged in via CarPlay? I'd like to play music and such when I am out and about, especially on trails.
Sponsored

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
From what I was told in another thread on the subject of Apple verses Ford sync, you have to switch off apple play by selecting Ford sync.

Maybe I read it wrong in that other thread. Hopefully Mark or someone else will chime in.

Watching, as I'm curious too.

OP
OP
WunWun

WunWun

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
From what I was told in another thread on the subject of Apple verses Ford sync, you have to switch off apple play by selecting Ford sync.

Maybe I read it wrong in that other thread. Hopefully Mark or someone else will chime in.

Watching, as I'm curious too.
You are correct, you have to select the Ford Sync app to switch back to the standard SYNC menus, but when I select navigation from there, it takes me back to Apple Maps.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Anyone know if there is a way to access SYNC Nav if you're plugged in via CarPlay? I'd like to play music and such when I am out and about, especially on trails.
According to this post from Ford, "[w]hen you’re connected to Apple CarPlay, many SYNC 3 features, such as the optional Navigation system and SYNC® AppLink™, will be unavailable."

If you want to avoid losing navigation when out of cell coverage you can use Google Maps offline. All you have to do is download maps for the area you are traveling in before you lose cell coverage. When we travel we download all the maps for our route before leaving the house.

Another option is Gaia GPS. It displays on your SYNC screen and allows map download for offline use. As a bonus, it can display many different types of maps, including Topo maps, and overland trail maps.

Bucko

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Sport Outer Banks Area51
All this Mr. Wizard stuff.
Sponsored

Last edited: