SeanMcNally

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Connectors can sometimes be finicky. When you pull them apart make sure you didn't bend any pins. I would carefully compare the connector coming from the car and the one going to the new panel. For every wire on the car-side connector you should see a corresponding wire on the control panel. If you don't, it's possible you may have somehow gotten an incompatible control panel.
Theoretically, is it possible that an incompatible temp module would throw off unrelated functions like the park brake or auto engine idle off? Or is it more likely I failed to re-connect the connectors properly?
Sponsored

Bronco2.7

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 civic CRV
Hey Y'all,

I have a MY22 and they removed the digital display of the temperature knobs. I know some folks have expressed that they liked it but when using CarPlay, you only see the temperature flash when you change it vs being able to see it all the time. (Of course, you can exit out of CarPlay and see them on the Sync3 screen but that's a hassle).

I found the part on the ford parts site and wondering if anyone has experience swapping this out or if there is something I'm not thinking about when it comes to wiring it up. (short of calling my service center, I figured I'd come here first).
There was a shortage of them so it became a production issue. I had them on my 2021 full size Badlands and really liked them.

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Theoretically, is it possible that an incompatible temp module would throw off unrelated functions like the park brake or auto engine idle off? Or is it more likely I failed to re-connect the connectors properly?
I couldn't say for sure. All the systems on these things are so interconnected it's hard to tell where one stops and another begins. I'd say if everything works after switching back to the original panel AND you can't find any wiring issues (bent/missing pins, etc.) then the panel you got is either incompatible or defective.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang EB Premium, 13 F150 Lariat, 18 Tahoe
Did the swap last night. The good news is I got everything together in one piece, and the temperature knobs work! The bad news is, something somewhere got screwed up. My heated seats & steering wheel buttons don't work anymore, and I can't choose those options in the remote start menu (they're greyed out), suggesting that the computer isn't recognizing those modules.

On the bright side...somehow my auto engine idle off function got screwed up too! It's defaulted to always off...and I can't to turn that dumb feature on even if I wanted to, the button does nothing. Not sure how that happened but I'm not complaining. Trying a sync update to fix the other issues, would be really nice if that magically stayed broken :)
See post #86. With an OB, looks like your part # should end in “B” to me. Does it ?

SeanMcNally

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
See post #86. With an OB, looks like your part # should end in “B” to me. Does it ?
I made that post, and yes, mine does 😁

Could be a defective part, or it could be that something actually changed on the production line. @Jayzala’s car also had the wiring for the illuminated cup holders, which I believe mine did not (I didn’t see any extra wiring).
Ford Bronco Sport Switching Temperature Control Knobs in MY22 to MY21 8EF0853F-CD7C-4DB8-A424-345F5118EF0A

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I made that post, and yes, mine does 😁

Could be a defective part, or it could be that something actually changed on the production line. @Jayzala’s car also had the wiring for the illuminated cup holders, which I believe mine did not (I didn’t see any extra wiring).
Ford Bronco Sport Switching Temperature Control Knobs in MY22 to MY21 8EF0853F-CD7C-4DB8-A424-345F5118EF0A
Pardon, I obviously didn‘t read carefully (to much turkey?)
FWIW, my 22 OB was built 12/23/21 with no cup holder lites, but did have wiring & I did replace cupholder to one with light. plug/play & looks good.

SeanMcNally

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Pardon, I obviously didn‘t read carefully (to much turkey?)
FWIW, my 22 OB was built 12/23/21 with no cup holder lites, but did have wiring & I did replace cupholder to one with light. plug/play & looks good.
That seems to check out, yours was built much earlier than mine (July, 2022). On the cup holder replacement thread, it was said that cars built later don’t have the wiring. So if that much is different about them, perhaps they’re also incompatible with older hardware like the ’21 temp controls.

PonyDriver43

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aren’t BCM’s a wonderful invention?

Mrmike

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 OBX, '20 Ecosport, '21 Kymco X-Town 300i
Gotta wonder! My wife's '20 Ecosport cost me about $22,000, and came with lit cup holders and digital display on the temp knobs. Now I'm buying a '23 OBX for $40,000+ and they are eliminated.

SeanMcNally

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Gotta wonder! My wife's '20 Ecosport cost me about $22,000, and came with lit cup holders and digital display on the temp knobs. Now I'm buying a '23 OBX for $40,000+ and they are eliminated.
I might have a module with light up controls to sell you if you wanna give it a shot 😉 😂

SeanMcNally

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
So what's interesting is, according to the OBD reader I just bought, all my errors have to do with parts I had to disassemble to get to the temp controls. This is what I have:
Code:
===APIM DTC B1087:01-08===
Code: B1087 - LIN Bus 'A'

Additional Fault Symptom:
- General Electrical Failure

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Accessory Protocol Interface Module

===BdyCM DTC B10C9:01-48===
Code: B10C9 - Interior Front Antenna

- General Electrical Failure

- Test not complete

===BdyCM DTC B1554:13-08===
Code: B1554 - Wireless Accessory Charger Enable/Disable

- Circuit Open

===ABS DTC C1034:13-6D===
Code: C1034 - Park Brake

- Circuit Open

- DTC Present at Time of Request
- Test not complete

Module: Antilock braking system

===ABS DTC C1034:25-6D===
Code: C1034 - Park Brake

- Signal Shape/Waveform Failure

- Test not complete

Module: Antilock braking system

Freeze Frame  #1:
-EVENT_TIME: 9915677 s (Wed Nov 23 17:43:10 2022) - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 1553 km - Total Distance
-MODULE_VOLTAGE: 12.0 V - Control Module Voltage
===END ABS DTC C1034:25-6D===

===HVAC DTC U2024:51-0A===
Code: U2024 - Control Module Cal-Config Data

- Not Programmed

Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

===HVAC DTC U2100:00-0A===
Code: U2100 - Initial Configuration Not Complete

Module: Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning

===IPMA DTC U0253:00-28===
Code: U0253 - Lost Communication With Accessory Protocol Interface Module

Module: Image Processing Module A

Freeze Frame  #1:
-EVENT_TIME: 9983054 s (Thu Nov 24 12:26:06 2022) - Event time
-TOTAL_DISTANCE: 1562 km - Total Distance
-MODULE_VOLTAGE: 14.8 V - Control Module Voltage
-OUTDOOR_TEMPERATURE: 13 °C - Outside temperature
-ECU_POWER_SUPPLY: 14.5 V - ECU Power Supply Voltage
-ECU_INTERNAL_TEMPERATURE: 39 °C - ECU Internal Temperature
The only outlier is that "Image Processing Module". I assume that's the backup cameras, I didn't go anywhere near that. I guess my next step is to take the long journey towards getting the old HVAC module back in and seeing if these errors magically clear...

SeanMcNally

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
HUGE UPDATE: Everything is working now!!! Heated seats/wheel, Auto Engine Idle, Parking Brake and Auto Hold are all working normally.

The answer? The darn thing wasn't programmed, most likely since I bought mine from the factory and @jayzala's was used. I figured that out by using As-Built Explorer to compare the module data I got from ford with what was currently installed, and noticed the HVAC controls just had a bunch of 0's where other data should be. I was able to easily fix it myself with FORScan, and a $50 OBD to USB Adapter from Amazon. Here's what I did:

1) Get the trial version of Forscan Extended at their website (trial was fine for me because it lasts two months & I don't imagine I'll ever need to use it again after today, they don't need your CC for the trial)
2) Check out the modules section by clicking the microchip icon. Choose the HVAC controls AS BUILT, then press the play button.
Ford Bronco Sport Switching Temperature Control Knobs in MY22 to MY21 BSF_Fixing 1

3) Save a backup of your module by pressing "Save All", very important in case things go wrong
4) Press "Load Factory AB", which will download the correct data from Ford directly
5) Press "Write All", which will install it to the module
6) Enjoy!
Ford Bronco Sport Switching Temperature Control Knobs in MY22 to MY21 Fixing 2

Basically, all I did was load up the new module with the data that Ford says it should have, and it all worked. So, for anyone looking to do this in the future, even if it isn't easy, or 100% plug-and-play, it is possible!

Mark S.

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands | 2020 Escape
Basically, all I did was load up the new module with the data that Ford says it should have, and it all worked. So, for anyone looking to do this in the future, even if it isn't easy, or 100% plug-and-play, it is possible!
Wow. I would never have thought a module like that would need programming. Once again, tinkering saves the day!

coopny

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 BS BL
Can validate that the part with displays from a 2021 BS BL with heated seats & heated steering wheel does work when put in a 2023 BS BL. Which should be expected to work, but I haven't seen anyone else report on doing it with a 2023, so chiming in.

As others have said, the 4D Tech video demonstrating the disassembly for a nav APIM upgrade is a great resource. There are no shortcuts. once you pull the HVAC module out, it's just 4 bolts holding the HVAC module in that's not shown (there are four around the unit that are for the back of the unit itself, look to the side and above them for the ones that hold it to the trim speak.. Skip to the reassembly steps in the 4D Tech vid and you're good to go.

The buttons seemed to work fine as-is (no programming) but based on the experience of others, I did choose to load the factory as-built from OASIS. (Side note - FORscan notes that OASIS may have blocks that aren't in the actual as-built from factory. You're better off just backing up the as-built directly from your car before doing the swap).

After the swap - ignition off and back on. The HVAC module will default to off. It will also default to the A/C button not being lit (only for the first time after doing programming in FORScan, it will remember last settings from thereon). This initially confused me into thinking what I flashed caused the A/C to not work properly until I realized what had happened...

A lot of effort for the swap - probably end to end was two hours, although some of that time was rewatching the video repeatedly to be sure I wasn't going to damage any trim pieces pulling them out and a bit of searching for tools (mainly some additional pry pieces).

SeanMcNally

Outer Banks
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Thanks @coopny, glad to hear this swap is confirmed to work on a 2023 Badlands!
Sponsored