fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport Badlands, 2019 VW Golf R
This is the first Ford I've owned or driven with this "feature" so maybe its normal but is the system really set up to kill power steering and not start back up with a steering input?

If I try to turn the wheel before letting off the brake or hitting the gas at a light or stop sign the steering is basically locked. My other car, and every other vehicle I've driven with stop/start, will start the engine back up as soon as you move the wheel. Really terrible design.
Sponsored

ZXBRONCO

Outer Banks
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
274dfgh
This is the first Ford I've owned or driven with this "feature" so maybe its normal but is the system really set up to kill power steering and not start back up with a steering input?

If I try to turn the wheel before letting off the brake or hitting the gas at a light or stop sign the steering is basically locked. My other car, and every other vehicle I've driven with stop/start, will start the engine back up as soon as you move the wheel. Really terrible design.
I don't understand how this is a terrible design, why would a driver want to dry steer before starting up the vehicle again to move?

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't understand how this is a terrible design, why would a driver want to dry steer before starting up the vehicle again to move?
You've never turned the steering wheel in a car that was stationary at a light or stop sign? The car should start up on steering input.

Was stopped at a light and needed to get around the vehicle in front of me that threw his hazards on. Wanted to have the wheel cut to the right so I could go after traffic had passed in that lane and couldn't.

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork
You've never turned the steering wheel in a car that was stationary at a light or stop sign? The car should start up on steering input.

Was stopped at a light and needed to get around the vehicle in front of me that threw his hazards on. Wanted to have the wheel cut to the right so I could go after traffic had passed in that lane and couldn't.
I never have turned the steering wheel while stationary.

I am not a fan of start/stop in general.

broncobuster2550

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something slow
Sounds normal from my experience with S/S. Either the EPAS is powered with the alternator, or the ECU doesn't want to power it from the battery and risk dropping voltage too much to restart. You can always just let off the brake without letting the vehicle actually creep forward to get the engine to kick back on.

OP
OP
fastlax16

fastlax16

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Either the EPAS is powered with the alternator, or the ECU doesn't want to power it from the battery and risk dropping voltage too much to restart.
I get not wanting to power it from the battery with the engine off, I just find it curious moving the wheel doesn't kick the engine back on in anticipation of movement like every other start stop system I've driven (VW, Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Range Rover) Its annoying af if you do a lot of city driving (I live in downtown chicago so I'm 99% city).

Anyway sounds like its how Ford designed so guess I'll just keep hitting the button to disable it, thanks everyone.

a33maxi

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Sport - sold
I get not wanting to power it from the battery with the engine off, I just find it curious moving the wheel doesn't kick the engine back on in anticipation of movement like every other start stop system I've driven (VW, Audi, Mercedes, Toyota, Range Rover) Its annoying af if you do a lot of city driving (I live in downtown chicago so I'm 99% city).

Anyway sounds like its how Ford designed so guess I'll just keep hitting the button to disable it, thanks everyone.
Mine does restart the engine if the wheel is turned. Might be worth bringing it up with your dealer.

CanineChamp

First Edition
First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mork

99% city of me as well in Denver. I stay in Sport mode though. So a non issue.

Fossil

Badlands
First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 Raptor, 95 SVT Mustang 5spd, 95 SHO 5spd
my 90lb wife can restart her 2020 Escape by turning the steering wheel.